Annex2
Years ago

Radio: Phil Smyth Resigns from Adelaide 36ers

Official, just announced - will quit at end of the season. Thanks for the memories.

(Mod: Please note that this may not be correct. Could be radio mis-reporting the 36ers' decision not to automatically renew Phil's contract.)

Topic #14544 | Report this topic

ShaneD  
Years ago

.. wow.. Just hope we don't rush into a replacement or go with the easy option....

Sad to see Valdy go .. last couple of years excluded, he's been sensational. I am however excited for the future if this replacement is done well.

Reply #171579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where was this made official?

Reply #171583 | Report this post

GutSA  
Years ago

Isaac, there was this petition.....

Reply #171584 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Rubbish!!!

Reply #171587 | Report this post

Annex2  
Years ago

Just heard on the radio.

Reply #171588 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

im not believing it yet......especially after i did believe dench had walked out! isaac can you confirm for us?
the nbl website said he still hadnt made up his mind

Reply #171590 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Radio has been getting it wrong for last few days.

Reply #171592 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Different spin on the 36ers website.

"Sixers to advertise for new coach"

Phil quoted as "unsure" if he'll re-apply.

Reply #171593 | Report this post

GutSA  
Years ago

Was anybody at the 11am press conference??

I recall when Blight had his press conference to say he wasn't continuing with the Cows there was live radio & T.V

Says a lot about S.A media support of B'ball

Reply #171597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5aa said he is not sure if he wants it, 6ers will look for new coach but leave door open for phil? he wants to only coach in sa. sound weird to me.

Reply #171598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers site item has been updated to reflect the press release from the club.

Have emailed the club to ask for confirmation about this (apparent resignation).

Could be that the radio are just mis-reporting the club looking at other options, or they've got it correct - wait and see first.

Reply #171599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the fuck can you be 'unsure' at this stage? What do you need to know now that you didn't before to either say yes or no? Maybe it's money to continue on as I'm fairly sure you won't be getting anything near the $$'s on a new contract as you did on the pre-existing one. For all concerned (players, fans, administrators) have the guts to either say yes I want the job enthusiastically or just hop on your bike.

Reply #171600 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

if Phil reapplies he will get the job at the Sixers

Reply #171605 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

What a debacle I really believed Mal as a top business man would be perfect owner.
This along with Chappell debacle is unprofessional and demeaning to all espec. current coach.
Make a B---dy decision and it has to be thanks coach it is time for change. No wonder other sports are getting stronger whilst our support is slipping

Reply #171612 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

36ers to take coaching applications, is the more accurate one. The door is still open, should Phil wish to apply.

Reply #171614 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

This is a good, professional decision. (I'd love to know how some think it's not.)
At least this way if the only applicants for the job are Hoops SA posters, we know that Phil is absolutely the best for the job.
Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Reply #171616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there WAS media at the press conference this morning.

Reply #171617 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Dana - this isn't a decision at all, it is simply a let's wait an see.

The Sixers need to be more proactive than this 'see who applies approach'.

I can see a lot of potential candidates for the coaching job been put off by this - are the Sixers serious about a new coach?

Can the Sixers management seriously look at recruiting a new coach if they don't know who what Phil is going to do?

Are the sixers even going to try and recruit, or they just going to see who applies?

This announcement has turned out be a non-event and means little, and I am surpised people are applauding it.

Reply #171624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At least this way if the only applicants for the job are Hoops SA posters, we know that Phil is absolutely the best for the job.
I think you're making assumptions about who posts here, Dana!

Reply #171627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont get it if he re-applies.

His one page proposal written in crayon wouldnt pass the line.

See through it people - what the club has done today is just to minmise the potential damage to Phils ego.

Reply #171630 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I hope they don't just rely on applicants coming forward and that the club actually pursue the ones of interest to themselves. I would also like them to make an active and in depth search overseas as well. You need to fight for what you want, not just wait for it to come to you.

Reply #171631 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm thinking that Mal must have a lot of respect for Phil. But Phil is burnt out and not sure if he wants the job. So Mal has to do this.

Reply #171632 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Right on the money I think Camel. Thanks for your sense.

Reply #171638 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Right on Bozzo with post, we have to get the best and only will do so by targeting them.
Dana again the pills are working and hope you dont drown the baby .

Reply #171650 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Not to mention the free agents who are potential future sixers. As if they will want to sign and not know who is coaching. Has a timeline been put in place for the appointment of next year's coach

Reply #171681 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Phil was just on 5AA, said he will take like a week off after season and come to a decision. Said he got the feeling from mal if he wanted to go again they would have re-upped. I bet he comes back and coaches again, he seemed pretty upbeat, said its the 6ers or nothing.

Reply #171689 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Glad you like that one btm. LOL.

Reply #171690 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Happy Pills btm.
Maybe you would like some?
;)

Reply #171691 | Report this post

Help Mal  
Years ago

Why would a decent coach that wants to coach in the NBL come and lay down all his plans when the current coach (that will properly get the job) is still able to apply.

Coach
Its Easy coach or dont coach. Dont say you are going to go away and see if you can find the passion if you dont have it with games left in the season then maybe you shouldnt coach.

Owner
Its Easy Sack Him or dont sack him. You cant have its both ways in sport Mal. Maybe this works in buisness but not in sport.

All this is saying to me is that the club cant make a hard decision. There has been to hard decision this season. Chappell and the coach.

Chappell we waited about 4-5 weeks to long to sack him(season over)

Coach maybe we sack him maybe we dont. Lets see what happens.

I hope the supporter dont have to make a hard decision next year like do we buy a season ticket or dont we.

Reply #171692 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

camel 31 you have your finger on the pulse - you must almost be an insider or live next to the dome - the respect this town should have for him is immense - one of the great players - two championships olympian - oz coach - if we get the structure right at the top and the indicators are great - then a refreshed experienced coach - 2009 adelaide title town

Reply #171708 | Report this post

moose 16  
Years ago

season tickets renewed or not renewed....$600 Mal you can kiss goodbye by not making a decision.

Reply #171711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guys, ps is not going to get the gig back regardless of what he thinks. the club will make it clear to applicants that the incumbent will not return. all this does it let him down easily and stop him working the media.

Reply #171716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree anon (#171716), the club are just saying that Phil is still in the running so that phil looks better as he appears to have walked away rather than been told his services are no longer required.

Reply #171720 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Help Mal,

"Why would a decent coach that wants to coach in the NBL come and lay down all his plans when the current coach (that will properly get the job) is still able to apply."

That's not how I understand it. According to Hemmerling the best person for the job will get the job. This means if anyone else other than PS think they are better suited for the job and have better qualifications then they have an advantage over PS and should apply. This way PS can still apply but at the same time you are leaving your options open by seeing what other interest you get. If PS turns out to be the best applicant, then the club is getting the best that they can get. The quality of the coach that will be appointed will be dependent on the quality of the applicants.

Reply #171721 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Phil Smyth embodies everything that is good about basketball and has delivered much happiness over the years - overcoming huge hurdles to so do - to fans of the Sixers.
HATE, HATE, HATE to see him leave but if he is unable to find the passion I wish him and Steve all the best.

Best scenario.
Phil rekindles the passion; he and Steve B. sign on as do Adam Ballinger, Julius Hodge and Darren Ng.

We luv ya, Phil & Steve.

Reply #171726 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Coach Phil embodies everything that we love about the game of basketball.
Let's hope he rekindles the passion but if not we wish him all the best and thank him for the Championships and all the good times he has delivered to Adelaide fans.

Please, please, please find the passion Phil and Steve and along with Adam Ballinger, Julius Hodge and Darren Ng sign up for what should be an exciting season next time around.

All the best Coach.

Reply #171731 | Report this post

Anon#170626  
Years ago

Agree with Sixers Fan.

Whay would you not want to a team based around those players, coach by Phil, next year.

Reply #171739 | Report this post

Anon#170626  
Years ago

Why and coached.

I really should proof read my posts before submitting them!!!

Reply #171744 | Report this post

West Lion  
Years ago

Coach S can only re-apply if Sap lends him his pen and pad paper again.

Reply #171758 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Anon
"Whay would you not want to a team based around those players, coach by Phil, next year."

Cos only one player changed during the season, and we missed the finals, and to miss the finals in the NBL is an embarasment considering how many teams get in compared to who missed out.

Reply #171764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil smyth

Reply #171767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754