Dana
Years ago

NH: Ben Cousins more sympathy than Smyth?

I thinkit's interesting how some sports people can pretty much get away with anything without getting sacked, but God help you if you coach a team that doesn't win all the time.

Topic #14553 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

umm... Cousins was sacked

Reply #171697 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And suspended from the league.

Reply #171698 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Wait, is this a dig about Phillip? If so, poor stuff. If not, then I really don't understand....

Reply #171699 | Report this post

Camel 28  
Years ago

isn't professional sport about winning?

Dana - do you regret making this misty eyed thred?

Reply #171703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cousins has a drug addiction.

And what sympathy? There is a thread not far below yours with someone wanting to see him beaten to a pulp!

Reply #171712 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

the anthony mundeen sympthy.

Reply #171713 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I feel sympathy for your spelling kobe-for-MVP

Reply #171736 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

About 3 weeks ago i saw him get into a taxi with a friend while i was in Sydney...

He has been having some fun traveling around partying trying to rehabilitate himself -__-

Reply #171741 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That is absolutely pathetic Dana. I have no respect for your opinion as you would support the coach no matter how bad he is. The sixers could win NO games all season and you would still be on your high horse going "Well his a good coach he won some championships, so let him continue!".

Not only that you come on and make a joke of a thread like you have here. Ben Cousins, if you have been under a rock this last 8 months is not eligible to play in the AFL anymore! Furthermore, his alleged incident which made you all hate him for charges of drugs was DROPPED!!! Only when he had an incident in America was he made ineligible to play anymore.

I find it funny that a player that takes recreational drugs is Shamed, yet a person like Wayne Carey that has wrecked lives was still welcome to play AFL. And how is Wayne Carey doing now? He is looking at a Prison Sentence. So we all get angry at Cousins for taking recreational drugs which harms basically only him self yet someone like Carey whom over all causes more damage we just turn a blind eye.

I hate how people are so old fashioned and ignorant and think recreational drugs is this big evil thing. Yet alcohol causes more problems then recreational drugs yet once again you all turn a blind eye to that because of ignorance and because it makes lots of money for the economy.

Reply #171765 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yes KingJames but alcohol is legal.

Reply #171777 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"So we all get angry at Cousins for taking recreational drugs which harms basically only him self "

are you kidding.....

Do I need to explain a criminal cycle in relation to drug taking and the impact that has on society.

What about the family of drug takers....

What about the poor copper that has to knock on a parents door and explain their child in now dead to an OD....

How bout the financial impact on society assisting these people...

Reply #171780 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

See what happens Dana ? do you see what happens when you start a thread like this .

Maybe this legal vs illegal drugs could be incorporated into the Mundine fight night .

A high as kite Cousins vs a boozed up banger ...

All jokes aside Dana your love for ____ _____ is beautiful but it is clouding what is left of your reasonble judgement .

Reply #171783 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

Are you kidding TR?

Do I need to explain a criminal cycly in relation to alcholism and impact that has on society.

What about the family of an alcoholic....

What about the poor copper that has to knock on two families door, once to explain how their alcholic child got behind the wheel and drove, and then again to try to explain how someone else's alcoholic child got behind the wheel and drove killing their child....

How bout the financial impact on society assiting alcoholics...

Reply #171789 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Talking about this legal vs illegal drugs is much more sensible than talking about the naive post at the very top of this thread.

Reply #171791 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

go ahead Astor.. educate me.....

Reply #171792 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Agreed TR , just quoting my good friend Walter from The Big Lebowski , minus the profanity .

Reply #171794 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Whilst your at it Astor, point out where I said anything about alcohol in my post.

My response was to a comment which clearly contained the words "taking recreational drugs which harms basically only himself

Reply #171795 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

My point exactly TR. You didn't.You took one sentence of a long post, the crux of which is comparing alcohol to recreational drugs, and ignored the context the sentence was said in. I don't disagree with what you said, but think it was unfair to ignore the point of the post.

Understand...?

Reply #171799 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

having dealing with people that have both life issues I'd rather deal with an alcoholic than deal with a drug user.

Alcohol kills as much as drugs, but as Sturty mentioned, alcohol is a legal substance, drugs are not. Alcohol can't be associated with the widespread increase in Hep C and HIV.

Reply #171808 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

But smoking a joint, popping a pill, snorting a line can...

I'm sure this debate could go on for hours, but the point i wanted to make was that, although KingJames poorly worded his point, i think you jumped on the wrong issue in his post. My interpretation of what he/she was trying to make a point that there are differnt public outcomes for different people (being Carey and Cousins), and i guess that comes back to how Dana started this thread....

speaking of, where is Dana ....

Reply #171813 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

(silence......)

Reply #171817 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Astor, in relation to your last part I'm surprised you didn't see the tumbleweed blow by and the trail of dust as Dana was leaving the area in a real rush... sort of like a hit and run incident...

Your probably right, when it comes to drug users I have absolutely and totally zero tolerance, especially now after going through the last 6 months having regular blood tests after being hit with a dirty pick from a druggie..

Reply #171818 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Maybe I should have used Wayne Carey as the example rather than Ben Cousins. My point being that AFL players do all kinds of illegal things, tantamount to assault on the field, and it is accepted by many, and what's more they get sympathy.
All I am saying is that Phil does not deserve the amount of malice directed at him from some posters in this place.
At least some radio stations are voicing support from 'the majority' of people. This forum DOES NOT represent the majority.

Reply #171834 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Astor 33 - how wrong you are..

When was the last time you (or someone you know) woke up in the morning next to an absolute disgrace of a woman (or man) after a night of boozing only to find out 3 months later that you have obtained hep C, probably from her (or him)?

Well it hasn't happened to me, but I'm willing to say it has to a few

Reply #171835 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez Dana, where have you gone???

Reply #171837 | Report this post

Brian  
Years ago

Dana, its a business. And its an emotional business at that.

Baldemort flaws have been widely reported over the past 4 seasons, we are not casting a long bow here.

If you had shares in a company and the CEO made poor decision after poor decision you too would be emotional and upset.

The buck must stop with him - tho' as always, he passes it on.

He's not the Messiah Dana, he's a very naughty boy.

Reply #171844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carey has been to court, been sacked from gigs and endorsements. Most think he's an idiot. Some still think he's a legend.

Phil didn't get his contract renewed. Some don't like him, some think he walks on water.

Different situations in terms of what's happened to them.

"what's more they get sympathy" - as does Phil - you said yourself that a majority of radio callers have backed him. All you're seeing is more media attention on Cousins and Carey because they're more interesting stories for the sheeple of the country.

Reply #171848 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

'Sheeple' is a good term - I like it.

I think you could define a sheeple by asking them to read this story: if you can last the entire piece without vomiting, you're a sheeple alright.

(Graphic warning: the above link contains words, sentences and paragraphs of such inanity that the very civilisation we'd like to think we're all part of could begin to circle the drain. Really. It is truly atrocious. Don't say you weren't warned.)

Reply #171861 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

hahaha Bo!

Hey whale, wanna get hiiiighhhhh

Reply #171884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754