Nathan
Years ago

Confirmed: Heat trade Shaq to Suns for Marion

Just read that this trade is all but confirmed. Can't beleive the suns would want this aging, bloated contract... Great deal for the heat who can team wade and marion, now they just need a pg, a pf and oh yeah... a center...

Topic #14556 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

$$ side of things isnt so bad.

Losing Marion is (although if he is unhappy may as well trade him now and get something than lose him at seasons end and get nothing).

Losing Banks will be bigger than what they think.

Reply #171775 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

deal done!

Reply #171804 | Report this post

Shaq  
Years ago

I can't wait to help Phoenix win a championship.

Reply #171805 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

It's official Shaq is not a member of the Suns.

Full Story

HUGE trade, don't know if it will pay off for the Suns though.

Reply #171806 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Gees, when I heard a while back this would be a mad year for mid-season trades, this isn't what I was expecting.

Two major players in the Western Conference playoff race (LAL & PHO) have made moves to get themselves in a position to win the title. IMO - the Lakers have done better in acquiring Pau (who should compliment their existing personnel & philosophies), than Phoenix have in acquiring Shaq (who goes against the entire D'Antoni system). Plus, the Lakers gave away virtually nothing (yet), while Phoenix gave up a borderline all-star & vital cog in their system.

Reply #171809 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

It's obvious the Suns are seeing this as a final roll of the dice. On one hand you have to respect them having the balls to pull the trigger on something like this, but by the same token this isn't the super athletic up and down the court Shaq of 10 years ago, this one, as Hoop Addict put it, goes against the current Suns's run and gun philosophy.

I can't help but think they're expecting Shaq to bring a whole lot more than just his on court presence. If he brings with him the belief that they are now a genuine title contender, and the team buys into this then that counts for plenty. While Wade was the main man in Miami's title a few year back it was obvious Shaq brought the belief and experience that was required. Either way I'm expecting Phonenix to be like Miami is now in a couple of years, but I'd love to see them get that ring before it all turns to crap.

Reply #171816 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm waiting for the mushroom cloud to appear over Adelaide as twenty four's head explodes...

Reply #171822 | Report this post

Hoops 46  
Years ago

I read a report somewhere (NBA.com?) that Shaq will play minimal minutes until they meet the Spurs in the playoffs as Duncan has been their "kryptonite".

So here's a question - let's say Shaq finds some magic beans and gets his fitness wish granted, Duncan and Shaq have nil effect - who's the better team now?

Parker, Ginobli (sp?) and co.
or
Nash, Stoudamire and co.

??

Reply #171823 | Report this post

suns.com

All they need now is to bring in more shooters. Hit the post, amare or shaq will be doubled, kick it out, bombs away

Reply #171826 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Indeed this trade is official. Suns and GM Steve Kerr stupid for making this move. It doesn't impress me. Hopefully Grant Hill will bring himself some glory and receive more open shots.

Reply #171827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So shq plays for the east in the all-star game eventhough he's with phx???

Reply #171828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no wait shaq didn't make the all-star team. boo hoo

Reply #171829 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

When you Raja Bell sitting out on the 3 point line, who else do you need. It doea go against their whole offensive philosophy, but I can't wait to see how the big fella goes out West with Nashy!

Reply #171830 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Let me try that again without all the spelling mistakes... "When you have Raja Bell sitting out on the 3 point line, who else do you need. It does go against their whole offensive philosophy, but I can't wait to see how the big fella goes out West with Nashy!"

Reply #171831 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Sure, Raja can stroke it, but their other wings (Diaw, Hill) are mediocre long range bombers at best.

Obviously they see this season (possibly next as well) as their last chance to capture a title before having to blow up the entire roster, so are going all out - I just don't see that this lineup with Shaq makes them any closer to a title than what they were with Marion.

Reply #171833 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Shaq v Duncan playoffs

Duncan will just run down quicker and have to be covered every time with another Phoenix player in D until Shaq gets back.. that just means open shots for Manu, Fin, Barry, Horry. If it's Amare it still wouldn't matter as his defence is terrible.

A bad move by Phoenix.

Reply #171838 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

How about Bell, Barbosa and Nash??? When it comes to 3's made per game, all 3 are in the top 12!

Reply #171840 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

It's going to be close again but I think this helps
Spurs more than Phoenix.

Don't forget Horry get's free hit on a few blokes during playoffs which I would say will be on one of those guys. hopefully Nash

Reply #171846 | Report this post

if the spurs need to hit people to win then i guess that is that. But there's no way Spurs can guard both Shaq and amare. Amare tears duncan a new one every time they go one on one.

Reply #171856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hollinger, I think it was, likened it to that moment in a B-grade movie where the hero says "That's a crazy idea! ...but it just might work!"

At least it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reply #171857 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Wow I thought it was a joke when I heard it last night. I give Kerr credit for having the balls to pull the trigger, not many GM's would have.

But they HAD to address two major problems: No interior defence and Marion whining about wanting a trade and always being second fiddle.

Kerr has thought about how they can play shaq in the run and gun:
"We ran when Kurt Thomas was here. He got the rebound, and everybody else ran down the court," Kerr said. "We're still going to run, but we feel like we'll have a better halfcourt team."

Full article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3234099

Reply #171867 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nah TR, I've had 24 hours to get ready for this announcment. I'm OK with it. Kinda. I sat infront of my 'Shawn Marion & PHX 4 life' shrine and cried a bit, but I'm looking at the positives. We did get a future hall-of-fame C, who should comand a double team, gives us an extra big man defender and 6 fouls to use against the Spurs that won't have to come from Amare. And we, most importantly, got championship experience.

We just sold our soul to get him.....

Reply #171873 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ELG - I recall Duncan tearing Phoenix a new one every time he's played them for the past 5 seasons. The Spurs don't need to hit anyone to win. They just actually play defence, something the Suns haven't done in a long time.

Reply #171881 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

I actually reckon it`s a good trade - depending on whether Shaq can get back to some semblance of fitness... At least it give PHX some options... Marion is gone but Diaw can step right in - we know he can play (though he won`t make fans forget Marion)... I am keeping an open mind on this - it is much like the throw of the dice that Riley made to get Shaq from LA - though a more geriatric Shaq...

How about a BOS / PHX finals series???

Followed by BOS / PHX "dominating" the draft lottery in 2-3 years time...

Reply #171883 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Definately agree with the last line there johhnysack, and, like twenty four said "we just sold our soul to get him"....

However..as stated, I think Diaw can step in at the 3, or Hill, add to this a fit Shaq (just the defense alone!) and it is a good trade for Phoenix.

On the flip side, it is a great trade for Miami (Huuuuuuuuge salary dump, plus first chance to woo Marion) and it could also just push them into the playoffs in the (weak) East.

Big balls there Mr Kerr, roll the dice....

Championship this year or next, lottery after that.

Reply #171889 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

So Suns have

C-O'neal
PF-Stoudemire
SF-Hill
SG-Bell
PG-Nash

SF-Diaw
PG-Barbosa

And Heat have

C-Haslem(?)
PF-Marion
SF-Davis
SG-Wade
PG-Williams

C-Blount
SG-Cook

Me thinks that Davis from Miami may be packing his bags sooner rather than later. Heat dont want 6'8 Haslem starting at C against WC sides, but they dont want him on the bench. Blount starting C, Haslem PF, Marion back to SF and Davis out the door for some bench help??

Thoughts?

Reply #171918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blount's been starting recently. Haslem was a DNP today - this season has been a disaster for them!

Reply #171926 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is it a huge salary dump for the Heat? Isn't Marion on 17 or 18 mil anyway?

Reply #171933 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Marion is on around $16 mill this year. He has a player option for next season at $17.8 mill (going from memory so I'm probably wrong).

I'm guessing he will exercise this option and stay with the Heat next season as no team has the cap space to pay him around the $17 mill for a season.

The big players in the restricted free agent market next season will be Atlanta, Memphis and the 76ers. I can't really see Marion wanting to play at these destinations.

Reply #171938 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Just think of how much fun nash is going to have with amare and shaq inside..wow its going to be nuts. Shame shaq is fit for 1 game a season and plays only 40 games a season.

Reply #171940 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

fit for one game a season? these last few years that is an exaggeration. More like 1 fit game in two seasons...

Shaq, Amare, Nash :O :O WOW.

Reply #171943 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Suns-080206

JA Adande wrote a very good article about what the Suns have done and why

Also, thought this particular passage might interest ELG...

"The same goes for the NBA. They have widened the lane, brought in the 3-point shot, made it illegal to hand-check speedy guards & and it's still as much a big man's game as it was in the days of George Mikan.

The object is to get the best shot possible, and tall men dunking will always be the best option. If you wanted to win, that was the way to go. Michael Jordan ruled the 1990s, but the further we get away from that time the more of an aberration it seems and the more we can put to rest any comparisons to him. He won six rings with Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley at center. There's no other like him."

NO other

Reply #171956 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

A motivated and reportedly trim Shaq Daddy will give the suns a chance at a title . Big fella tends to respond to these challenges and his exuberant personality and winning ways will refresh and reinvigorate the somewhat stale suns.

The way the west is shaping they would have had buckleys without pulling the trigger on a player they would have lost anyway .

They actually have their most balanced team IMO and maybe need just one more spot up shooter to truly contend

NASH / strawberry
BELL / BARBOSA
HILL / DIAW
STOUDEMIRE /
O'NEAL / skinner

Good versatility being able to start DIAW at PF and bring SHAQ off bench .
BARBOSA will see a small bump in minutes and oppurtunities /

Reply #171963 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Are the suns the only team (Bar any new teams past 1989) that haven't won a title?

Reply #171971 | Report this post

there may be no other like him, but doesnt make him the best

Reply #171975 | Report this post

At the very least this and the Gasol trade make the NBA somewhat interesting again.

Reply #172069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754