thedoctor
Years ago

SPOILER - Suns v Hornets

Great battle going on between the two best PG's in the game. Much discussion recently over who is better at the moment. Head to head today, with the game going into OT:

Paul : 40 points, 7 assists, 6 steals, one turnover

Nash - 19 points, 12 assists, 6 turnovers

Paul on top at the moment.

Topic #14568 | Report this topic

Years ago

nash now 32pts 12ast 4rebs

paul now 42pts 9ast 5rebs 7stls

in double OT

Nash been hit clutch shot after clutch shot, paul missed his chances...Nash taken 9 less shots

Nash still best PG in the league

Reply #171893 | Report this post

Years ago

nash now 32pts 12ast 4rebs

paul now 42pts 9ast 5rebs 7stls

in double OT

Nash been hit clutch shot after clutch shot, paul missed his chances...Nash taken 9 less shots

Nash still best PG in the league

Reply #171895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nash 10 turnovers, paul one....
nash 1 steal, paul 8...

Reply #171898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suns down 3, with 14 seconds left.

Reply #171899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy shit. Triple OT.

Reply #171902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO's peja hits a 2 with 0.01 sec left to win 132-130

Reply #171903 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Peja......

Damn.

Reply #171904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops, spoke to soon.

Reply #171905 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Amare had 26 & 20 rebs. Some great stats. What a game!

Reply #171906 | Report this post

MC's HammerTime  
Years ago

Fark Chris Paul is phenominal.

haha @ Nash's 10 turnovers, does that count as a triple double? lol.

Reply #171907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash has a triple double, pts, ast and TO's.
Ouch.

Reply #171908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just saw a bit of a story on yahoo sports, sayin deron williams deserves allstar spot ahead of paul.... glad paul just shut that reporter up...

Reply #171913 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Deron Williams totally owned Paul in their H2H matchup the other day, just as he has in every other matchup between them, and today led his team to a road victory (in OT) in Denver:

11-19FG (1-2 3PT), 6-6FT, 6 REB, 11 AST, 29 PTS.

He hit the three-pointer to force the overtime, and keep alive the Jazz's winning streak, now at 10.

That reporter has a legit case, my friend :).

Reply #171920 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

"Nash still best PG in the league"

1. He had 10 Turnovers &

2. He cant play defence to save himself

Paul owned him tonight

Dont get me wrong i like Nash, but if i had the choice between him and a Jason Kidd ( both veteran PG's).....i would take Kidd anyday of the week

Nash is useless at the defensive end

Reply #171930 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I don't see where this no defense comes from?

I think people just label him with that to give him a weakness is these arguments perhaps??

Just because the Suns play horrid team defense, Nash isnt as bad or good as anyone else.

10 turnovers isnt as bad as it sounds, it doesnt mean he cant take care of the ball. Its hard to read into that stat, espeically when you know the ball, the Suns offense and shots all go through Nash.

Chris Paul dissapeared late in the game, where Nash turned on his scoring to help his team get back in it, hitting clutch shot after clutch shot.

Chris Paul is a close second, then Deron. With Kidd, every debate of the top PG's I've seen on ESPN, TNT etc...No one has had Jason Kidd in their top 5. The other side to it, is that ALL of them (the guys who know the game a lot more than any of us) have Steve Nash number 1.

Reply #171952 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Jules,

Have you ever seen Nash try and get over/through/round an on ball screen?

No?

Well neither have I. But I ahve seen him stand and watch what happens plenty of times.

Reply #171953 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Jules....do a stats search on steals and see where Nash rates in guards

He avg's 0.7 steals a game

Thats pathetic

How can u say 10 turnovers isnt bad.....regardless of how he got em....thats shit

Reply #171955 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

its not always how many steals per game you get that says you can play a bit of defense....

I didn't say he was a good defender...I said he isnt as appauling or 'useless' as you say he is...

Thats the least importnat hting I said anyway, you going to ignore eveyrthing else?

Reply #171957 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

and the best players in the league are all in the top 10 in turnovers because they handle the ball the most, and nash handles it more than anyone...like i said, it doesnt mean he throw bad passes or was being reckless or dribbled off his foot...i saw a couple where he grabbed an offensive board but wasnt in the best position he lost it afterwards...that kind of stuff...10 turnovers is not as ugly as it looks on the statsheet sometimes - thats all...dont let that make u forget his cltuch shooting, 32pts and 12ast

Reply #171958 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

oh and im not sure if you saw chris paul trying to get up those two shots to win the game?? but steve nash was ALL over him

Reply #171959 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Jules, Nash can't play D. It's pretty much unanimous. In fact, outside of you, it may very well be.

Reply #171960 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

sigh...im jsut saying its not dreadful and he stepped it up on Paul in the last 20 minutes of the game and did a good job - but ignore everything else I said because you have to attack his weakness..

Reply #171961 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Mantis - just because a player matches up well and supposedly owns a player does not make him king .
Nadal owns a winning record over Federer and i am pretty sure no one including Rafa would lay claim to that throne .
Deron is a great young PG and his and CP3's journey will be forever intertwined over time with comparison and debate . I believe they will both go down as greats .

Reply #171964 | Report this post

Great argument Fezlington. Did you know Dennis Rodman never averaged more than one steal or block for any season in his career. Stats mean nothing.

And his help d is good. His man is suspect, but his lateral quickness equates to that of a sloth. i dont understand this bad D thing draped over the Suns. The opposition only gets so many points because they launch more shots, due in part to Phoenix's terrible, terrible rebounding (which is their real problem)

Reply #171972 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

totally agreed ELG

Reply #171976 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Jules, I read this:
'I don't see where this no defense comes from?

I think people just label him with that to give him a weakness is these arguments perhaps??

Just because the Suns play horrid team defense, Nash isnt as bad or good as anyone else.'

FWIW, I'm a big Suns fan and therefore obviously a Nash fan.

The Suns get called a bad defensive team because they are. Now that Shawn is gone, the only player that can defend the perimeter well is Raja. And unless Shaq all of a sudden becomes a monster, staying out of trouble and finding lateral quickness, the only interior defenders we have are Skinner, and maybe to a (much) lesser extent Boris.

Amare can't stop anyone, Nash struggles man-to-man, Barbosa just isn't a defensive player.

Definately agree about the rebounding. We would probably be sitting a few games clear out West if we didn't give up so many.

Reply #171979 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

They'd be sitting a few games clear, not you.

Your arguing with me about Nash's defense and I could care less. All I said was don't exhaggerate it to back you up in these arguments. Plays good help D, on ball isn't so good, and the Suns give up so many points because teams get more offenses...I agree with Amare about no post D (hence the arrival of the Diesel)

Weren't we discussing Nash over Paul? Its irrelevant how good/bad he is at defense, because he is still the best PG in the league.

Reply #172010 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Weren't we discussing Nash over Paul? Its irrelevant how good/bad he is at defense, because he is still the best PG in the league."

Sorry.....I don't normally get into these NBA arguments, but dude, that's just stupid.

Are you saying that how good/bad his is at D does not have an effect on whether he's better or worse over someone else? Seriously?

This game is played on both ends of the court, sunshine. how well you play D DEFINITELY has an impact on where you ranks as a player.

PS....whoever posted it about someone's average Steal per game. Steals don't indicate whether or not you're a good defender. Steals indicate that you are the TYPE of defender that plays the passing lanes rather than the man. Some coaches would suggest that a players that gets too many steals can actually be detrimental to the TEAM defense, becuase they're chasing the ball and leaving their man open.

Reply #172011 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anyone know how that +/- stat works? Doesn't it measure your team's offence and defence whilst you are on the court? That might be more useful in measuring a player's defensive impact.

Reply #172013 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Yes I know that defense comes into it and that basketball is played on both ends of the court...

Im saying his defense isn't bad enough to put Chris Paul ahead of him in the best point guards in the league

Reply #172015 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Has anyone actually seen more than a handful of games CP3 has played? I mean, the Hornets aren't exactly the ESPN's most played team. Perhaps this debate will be settled in the playoffs?

Reply #172016 | Report this post

Giraffe 78  
Years ago

Stop being sensible Doc. How else am i suppose to fill my working day?

Reply #172018 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

You obviously haven't read my post about getting a sexchange and lining up for the Lightening.

Reply #172019 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DIY, doc?

Reply #172023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754