Anonymous
Years ago

Gerlach

Is Brad ever going to get a game? Why wont smyth give him a go?

Topic #1457 | Report this topic

hanz  
Years ago

brad is a gunn and he has herring hopps

Reply #16645 | Report this post

crosscourt  
Years ago

relax champ do you think everyone that gets on the bench just walks into minutes, probably cant even play him anyway due to already having two development dudes there.

Reply #16648 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

Get rid of Gower - a waste of bench space

Reply #16652 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I think its fantastic that he has made it there. Played all his career for Tigers starting at Under 10s and has made it to the Elite competition. It shows what commitement and hard work will acheive. Well Done Brad.His opportunity to play soon will happen and when it does I think he might just replace some others that don't see time on the sixers bench.

Reply #16663 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How long has Gower been with the 6ers

Reply #16694 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

too long

Reply #16706 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I agree, bye bye gower.

Reply #16717 | Report this post

Pizzano  
Years ago

I think he is just on the squad due to injury, and i doubt you will see him get anytime in the NBL, he is too short and doesn't have a reliable outside shot, and unfortunatly that slow snaky penetration wont cut it at the next level, wish him the best with ABL though.

Reply #16759 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Any Gower, Williams, and Hambour have? I agree that he needs to bulk up but if he is in the top players at ABL level I think he could cope with NBL. Only time will tell and until he is given the opportunity we wont know.

Reply #16762 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

i am a massive tigers fan, and i agree that it is a huge step for brad to take....but any clown saying he is too short.....maybe have a look at how his 6 foot 2 frame compares to at least 15 guys in the league...same or better. secondly, his snaking game wont make it.....why not?? pace....look at andrew gaze. unorthodox....look at david stiff. i am not sure what your point is pizzano???....surely brad is worth a shot in front of either gower or hambour who are both decent big men in state league trying to play small in nbl.

Reply #16765 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Well said basman!

Reply #16767 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agreed. I'm looking forward to Gerlach getting a go.

Gower got 3 minutes in the third quarter a few games back to give the big men a rest. I'd like to see Gerlach get a run soon.

Reply #16777 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Put him out there and see what he can do. He might surprise some people, and lets remember he is still young. He will handle the pressure.

Reply #16780 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Phil did something similar with Bell in one game remember? He turned it around in the 3rd (?) with his defence.

Reply #16791 | Report this post

Pizzano  
Years ago

Im saying for his style of game he is too short, don't even compare him to Gaze he is 6'7 and can shoot the lights out, unless Brad develops a consistant shot he won't stand a chance, dont compare his snaky stlye to Stiff it works for a 6'9 guy not 6'2, Gower and Hambour are just there to fill numbers and will never become impact players at the next level and the same for Brad.

Reply #16825 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

i take on your points pizzano, and you may be right, but i am just trying to present a broader picture that you dont have to fit this stereotype to play in the NBL.....just think of guys like rob rose who is getting pretty slow in his old age, gaze....there is always exceptions to the rule...whether brad is going to be good enough to be an exception, well time will tell....i defintely believe that he deserves a chance in front of hambour, gower, and probably even williams.

Reply #16829 | Report this post

Pizzano  
Years ago

Im with ya in throwing them in the deep end, but the Sixers seem to have a thing with getting guys in that are there to fill the number and dont really have the talent to make the next step, to make it at the next level you have to have an exceptional talent, take Ng he needs to work on his game but he has a great shot to build he game around, to me Gerlach doesn't have a strength that is of the next level.

Reply #16837 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

what extraordinary skill does forman, or williams have,a nd they are doing alright in the NBL...especially forman...holmes is another one who has no really outstanding skill, just a very good all round game.

Reply #16865 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Charmaine, Foreman and Holmes are some of the better players in their age group (23 and under) in the country. U cant compare them to Gerlach. I think Foreman and Holmes have more skill, are more athletic and better shooters than Gerlach.

All the best to Gerlach but he has a long way to go b4 u could compare him to these guys.

Jason Williams is probably past his peek but he is the best player for the 6ers at the moment. Maybe one day Gerlach can step up into his shoes.

Reply #16867 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Umm... if you have seen any of the ABL games when Jacob gets 40 and 30 you would not say he doesn't have extraordinary skill. That boy has game.

Reply #16868 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

calm down guys.....i am not saying that holmes or forman dont have awesome games, but i am saying that neither of them have one oustanding skill......i also beg to differ that holmes is a better shooter than gerlach....i dont think so....you seen holmes shooting percentage??ABL or NBL??

Reply #16869 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Shaq lead lthe NBA in % a few years. Doesn't mean he is a better shooter.

Also, Jacob and Oscar are 6'7 and 6'9. That makes a tiny bit of difference.

If you read alot of posts on here, and watch a few Sixers games, most would say Williams isn't doing alright in the NBL, he's just been around for ages.

Reply #16871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

peja stojakovic is 6'11 and he can shoot NBA 3's

Reply #16876 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

We will not know until he is given a chance on the court with regular court time. When that happens, if it does , then we can analise what Brad can do.

Reply #16878 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gerlach has only been scrimmaging with the team for a couple of weeks so far, right?

Reply #16879 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wouldnt mind knowing the last time Jacob pulled down 40 and 30 in a game.

Reply #16888 | Report this post

Pizzano  
Years ago

Its a different ball game for guys 6'7 and up so that is holmes and foremans advantage to take the next step, williams is a great defender so that was his advantage to get minutes and develop his game around that. When i look at it gerlach has no more to offer than what bell did, and you can't say we will wait and find out because i doubt they will give him a legitimate shot in terms of minutes. But hey i like watching him play in the ABL.

Reply #16895 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Maybe he will be one of those great ABL players who we never find out whether they could play in the big league.

Reply #16897 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

pizzano, i am not sure if you are suggesting gerlach is a poor defender...but generally someone who leads the ABL in blocked shots and top 5 in steals is a pretty damn good defender....??

Reply #16920 | Report this post

Bloody hell!  
Years ago

Gerlach is an outstanding defender, yes he is short at 6'2, yes he needs a reliable jumpshot, but shit he is 20 years old! Surely its worth a chance to bring someone fresh into the mix.
I take that back, that would be investing in the future wouldn't it dickheads?

Reply #16939 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He had plenty of games where he got 35 and 25 or thereabouts. Huge numbers anyway...

Reply #16949 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jacob, I mean..

Reply #16950 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Jacob had 40+ and 30+ in the final against Sturt at Pasadena last season.

Probably the best individual performace at ABA level ever.

Reply #16953 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Almost right Blue Collar.

Here's the boxscore.

42 points (15/34), 27 rebounds and 7 assists in 48 minutes. No turnovers. Eastern won by 8.

There might've been better performances in decades past, but it was the best statline I've seen.

Oscar had 26 points and 24 rebounds, but was definitely overshadowed!

Reply #16954 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Dont forget 5 foot 8 Chris Mellow hitting 71 pts in a game!

Reply #16955 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah, didnt think he had 30 in that game...mind you 27 is still mighty impressive.

I'm not a Holmes knocker for a moment, especially after he single handedly wiped the Warriors out of the Grand Final.

I just think his game could be better developed under a different coach, I dont think his game style neccesarily compliments the 6ers game.

And thats not a dig at Smyth either. Its worked in reverse plenty of times, players who have not really done much come to Adelaide and flourished under Smyth (cattalini, stiff, maley, rees just to name a few)

Reply #16957 | Report this post

Pizzano  
Years ago

Well block and steals at the ABL level , is alot different than blocks and steals at the NBL level, can he contain a guy at the next level? don't think so.

Reply #16958 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Pizzano, all i can say to you is get down to M/vale this ABL season and take a look at Snake for yourself. I don't believe you will have the same attitude after you've seen him dismantle Woodville on the 5th of March.

Reply #16959 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Ahhh Issac, thanks for posting the box scores. I in fact was at the game and you may remember my comments following regarding "home cooking"?

I took Jacobs stat line and had him down for 31 rebounds, similarly oscar for 18. hmmmm.

Just wanted to make the comment and certainly don't wish to re-hash old arguments. Lets be honest, both players had awesome games and it was certainly worth the price of admission!

Reply #16960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee,

"Players who have not really done much come to Adelaide and flourished under Smyth (cattalini, stiff, maley, rees just to name a few)."

Rees: Averaged 10-15 PPG and 8 RPG, plus won a championship and won grand final MVP in 1994, before playing under Smyth. That's doing more than "not much"!

Maley: Averaged up to 27.6 PPG and 10.2 RPG elsewhere before joining Adelaide. Averaged less than half that under Smyth.

Stiff: Had his best averages with Hobart. Didn't necessarily improve, just played with a stronger team and won championships.

What style of game doesn't suit Jacob? Would it also not suit Paul Rees?

I think he's put up stats a touch below what people might've expected this season, but I think he fits in alright.

Reply #16961 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely one of the best games I saw during the year. The Mavericks were in top form throughout that period.

Reply #16962 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I wasnt talking so much averages...but Maley's career was over with his back until Smyth brought him back to win another ring, which he was pretty instrumental in....Rees wouldnt get a gig at another team ((as we witnessed with Brisbane) yet he is a starter and a key to the 6ers wins every game.

I never saw Stiff play for the Devils, but I certainly feel he has enjoyed some of his best years under Smyth as well.

I just think Jacob likes to play a different brannd of ball to the 6ers general style. He seems to like to push the shot a bit harder, and try harder, rather than the general laid back style the team has generally had as an approach.

I could be (and probably am) totally wrong, but it's just a personal observation. I would hate to see him go...but I really think he would flourish more under Goorjian, or perhaps Joyce's tuition.

Reply #16963 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Yogee - Maley didn't win a ring with us.

Reply #16964 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez Yogee, your struggling with this arguement...

Reply #16965 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

doncha hate when you think you've got a good point and hit send then find out your argument lacks credibility and is easily shot down in flames by a few facts.
got to love this forum

Reply #16967 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Maley winning or ring or not isn't really important to the point, though. I only pointed it out for his information.

Reply #16968 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Unfortunately I got my years mixed up.

Maley in fact played with us in 00/01 season, where we lost in the semis to Wollongong, thanks to Eddie Crouch. I for some reason was thinking he played in the 01/02 season, when we won the championship against the odds.

Sorry to all the perfect people on this forum (yeah, that means you anonymous...or should I say jirachi), who never make a mistake.

At least I have the balls to let people know who I am, so I dont hide behind some gutless post, and you wont take the time, or have the balls, to discuss it off forum.

I also have the courage to accept when I am wrong, and also acnkowledge it here, on the forum.

Reply #16969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's more about a coach that saw an opportunity to keep playing veterans when others had discarded them, rather than them flourishing under his watch.

Either way, not really relevant to Holmes/Smyth. Whether Holmes would do better under another coach may or may not be seen in the future, and it's obvious that any predictions are, as you've said, entirely personal opinion.

If you said that Adelaide played a running game, then Rees would be less suited than Holmes (Holmes has stamina anyway). If you said that Adelaide played an outside game, then anyone could argue that Rychart, Rees, and Cooper weren't suited.

I think that any perceived downgrade in ability would only come from Holmes missing his shots, and not be a matter of development or playing roles. That's my take anyway.

What style of game do you think the Sixers run, and what style of game do you think Holmes would be more suited to?

What makes you think that it's Jirachi? I don't really recall Jirachi ever following NBL all that much. I don't even know if he posts here anymore!

Reply #16970 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As for the game style... I just seems to me that Holmes would flourish in a more "up tempo" (i was originally thinking "aggressive" - but not sure if thats the right word) style of game, as opposed to the 6ers more laid back "wait and see" type approach to games.

I'm not having a go at him, I like his style, and I think he is copping a pretty end rough of a stick from his detractors at the moment.

I wouldnt mind seeing him teaming up with Newley on the same team.....could be a pretty awesome combo.

Reply #16978 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

But they both play the 2/3 spot? Wouldn't they steal their shots from each other?

Reply #17018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRAD IS DA COOLEST

Reply #18929 | Report this post

carmela  
Years ago

He has a girlfriend...?

Reply #19095 | Report this post

francine  
Years ago

no brad does not have a girl friend, but he will soon, if i have anything to so it.....brad, you naughty tiger!!!....i am coming to get you.

Reply #19145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was lucky enough to get a couple of season seats to the match on new years eve and i happened to notice a hot 6ers player on the bench. no.20 (brad gerlach) and i was wondering if this guy has a girlfriend

Reply #63606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754