chick baller
Years ago

who is the best youth coach in SA?

Reading the thread on youth coach's made me think who parents think is the best junior coach under 25 years of age.

it's just I think since these coach's may not get the thanks they deserve from their club, we could thank them here.

Topic #14579 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad idea. Will quickly become a bash. Just the incentive our young coaches need....

Reply #172058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its prob just one of those coaches starting the thread in the hope that they get mentioned.

Reply #172063 | Report this post

hoops  
Years ago

Nathan Vaughn

Reply #172067 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

Matt Gliddon has 2 silver medals from U14 Nationals

Reply #172074 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Dean Nyberg for sure!!

Reply #172077 | Report this post

Dandy man  
Years ago

Before it becomes a sturt bashing - Scotty Butts would be the best junior coach going around in SA by a mile. I have watched him from opposition benches over 2 14 boys nationals campaigns and the way he relates / teaches and talks to his kids is fantastic. I may be prejudice as we can't beat his teams as of late. 2 of those 14 kids he coached in Tassie nationals killed our boys at the dandy / eltham tournament just gone in the 16 boys. And the 18 team he has now I believe they say is one of the best in the country - keep up the good work scott.

Reply #172091 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Dandyman

For a Victorian you are spot on - in fact all of the sturt coaches are excellent. Most coaches in SA are good in the district clubs. I have been lucky enough for Scott to have coached my lad for 2 years in the 14 teams you mentioned and he a first class teacher and person.

Reply #172093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graham Kubank was an outstanding coach last year with Sturts U12 boys as well. He took a group of bottom age players through to the Winter Final, and this has been a large reason why this years Div 1 Boys are so strong. One of the most underated performances you would ever see. He used child psycology, getting into their heads, continually rotating the starting 5, encouraging and before long he had a team of players all in form. We hope he has another chance in the future!!!!!!!! Imagine this guy at U16 or U18 level.

Reply #172103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Scott Butler is fantastic. One of his greatest skills is the fact he keeps a cool head on the bench. When he sees a player make a mistake on the court he doesnt slam his feet in the floor or turn to his bench and say something negative, he realises the player knows things didnt go according to plan and he moves on to the next play. Great operator, and a true teacher in every respect.
He shows that the best coaches are ones who create an atmospere where players want to do well for him, not themselves. Dont ever retire Scott!!!!!!!!! Stay with the kids!!!!!!!!

Reply #172104 | Report this post

random#  
Years ago

i practically believe the coach's whom are also seinor/junior players add knowledge to the kids inwhich they teach!

these kids being particularly the younger girls and boys, have a playing coach who can then in turn teach them all they need to know, still being a player.

I always have thought player coaches are the best, and they are always so dedicated because they know how it feels to lose and win, and miss that winning goal and so forth.

They also know the feels of staying on the bench, so they therefore rotate, for all getting courttime fairly, but encouraging a good win here and there.

Reply #172127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the last few years it would ost definetly be p.smyth

Reply #172131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the last few years it would most definetly have to be P H I L S M Y T H

Reply #172132 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Didnt realise he was a junior coach, perhaps that what all the hoohaa is about.

"He rooly is a youth coach in old coach's clothing"

Reply #172139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scotty is first rate and highly thought of in Victoria, where the lines can get blurred between the two states at times. I still think L.Flynn is a good coach also and Paul M is rated also.

Good to see NG's boy doing so well, however it is hardley as surprise.

Roll on Classic, Nationals as we will have a few ding dong battles with the SA boys.

Cheers

Reply #172150 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Scotty B is excellent. And he has shared his systems and know-how with the rest of his club and anyone else who is interested.

Dean Kinsman was the basis of North surge in juniors and is a great coach as well as a motivator. All his teams play hard, mean, 'ball. The success of the AIS team at the moment is no surprise.

Reply #172152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was D.Kinsman a country coach ?

What coaches outside of SA do the same for their respective states as do the Kinsman's and Butlers?

There are some up and commers in Vic and NSW have added to their coffers in the way of Lonnergan and former knox raider, D. Cotter

In the West, Mark Clayden is good as is Mike Ellis and in Qld , not sure other than Colin Donovan and Orlick,

Tassie have a guy from the ABA who goes well

Any thoughts ?

Reply #172167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any thoughts on the coaches from the girls side of the draw?
VIC metro's 18's womens coach this year has coached in 3 nationals and won three gold medals. marissa fillipou, anyone heard of her? she was a development coach at the ais for a few years too i think
Who's got the SA ladies this year?

Reply #172181 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I think Dean got a job with BASA as junior dev coach for the country region. Wasn't there for too long I dont think.

Reply #172185 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

The Vics have a great advantage in that they have a good programs and a huge talent pool. SA does extraordinarily well given our population. I remember a girl from Dandy named Lisa as an U14 girls coach that was very good. Won a National Clubs in 97 I think.
Lucas from Bulleen was very astute. Tony from Nunawadding had good results but I think his squads underachieved a little given the pool of talent available.
In the West they seem to be a bit shell shocked when they come up against the SA and Vic club teams.

Reply #172187 | Report this post

Years ago

2 sturt coaches. Deano and Scotty

Reply #172192 | Report this post

Kylie  
Years ago

Matt Gliddon for me

Reply #173440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone who isn't a West Adelaide coach

Reply #173970 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754