The_Champ33
Years ago

Sheeds Replaces Garnett in ASG

Kevin Garnett is still recovering from his abdominal strain and will miss the All-Star game.

Rasheed Wallace is the man selected to replace Garnett.

Topic #14611 | Report this topic

Mantis  
Years ago

I hadn't actually thought of Sheed as having an All-Star quality season. In fact, I wouldn't rate him as the best Wallace in the Conference - Gerald is having a better season IMHO.

Reply #172409 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Agreed Mantis, I think they were trying to replace KG with another big.

Reply #172413 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

True indeed. But the League was looking to replace him with a big man.

Andrew Bogut should have been the replacement. He's produced a pretty good season and always shows improvement.

Reply #172416 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just goes to show how weak the East is these days!

Reply #172423 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Hopefully Shaq won't become a late replacement for someone in the West now that he's been traded there.

Reply #172427 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'd hardly say Sheed is weak Panther.

Reply #172431 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

The Champ33

Did you watch the Rookies/Sophomore game that Bogut played in?

He looked totally lost in this concept of Basketball where no-one plays D until the last 5 minutes.

I'd rather he not get selected, get through this NBA season un-scathed (and hate to say this, but I don't think this will help his development either), skip the Olympics (through whatever Inury he wants to fake).

That way he will have an uninterrupted pre-season before his 4th NBA Season, keep on improving and get that major contract extension he should deserve.

Reply #172432 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Who Me!

I didn't see the game you're talking about. But Bogut has improved a lot since then and stepped up this year. He's shown a lot more leadership and communication.

I wouldn't mind seeing him play in the ASG and Olympics. But he does deserve his contract extension. He's welcome to play @ the Knicks if he wants.

Reply #172437 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You realise you really shouldn't announce your a Knicks fan, it may cause people to start pointing and laughing =]

Reply #172439 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The only two people that want to play at the Knicks are Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal. One is a wacko and the other is injury prone.... Perfect Knicks players

Reply #172442 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bogut admittedly tanked the rookie/soph game in his sophomore year.

He was on fire in the game as a rookie, leading several fast breaks and throwing it down (big man).

Has a lot to do with the small-man domination of the (exhibition) game in question.

Reply #172444 | Report this post

Bogut's individual play deserves All star recognition... his team's record does not.

Reply #172445 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Who Me!

True I should be careful not to disclose it, but I do anyway.

I would have prefered to have Jermaine O'Neal in my team rather than Randolph.

When the Randolph trade was first made I didn't understand because Isiah & Jermaine are close friends.

I miss the old days and Ewing is my all-time favourite.

Reply #172446 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

12 points and 7 rebounds is not good enough to be an All-Star Bizzy!!! Only Kidd averages less points per game but he averages more rebounds than Sheed and he's a point guard!
Sheeds is well past his prime!

Reply #172451 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Not disputing that Panther. Just because the stats say blah doesn't mean anything.

I watch every Pistons game, the amount of shots Sheed either blocks or changes is outstanding.

Plus he brings passion.

Reply #172457 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

Anyway, getting back to Sheed... he's clearly in because of team record at the moment. If Ray Allen was a centre, he would have been the next cab off the rank.

Reply #172474 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Crash Wallace should of been in before Sheed...

Bend over Crash and David Stern will give you your consultation prize...

Didn't Sheed say he wasn't all that interesting to participating and would rather have 4 days off???

Reply #172481 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

What about Hedo Turkoglu. Having a great season. Wouldnt mind him being in the ASG

Reply #172518 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Turkoglu was ripped off. Patrick Ewing feels the same way about it. Most Improved player along with Chris Kaman.

Reply #172523 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Since Garnett was voted in as a starter, his replacement should be whoever is next on the fan ballot and who isn't already playing. That would make the replacement Yi Jianlian, and if not him, the next on the list is Hedo. Sheed wasn't even in the top-ten votegetters.

Reply #172561 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

The_Champ33,

There may be hope for you yet to renew the glory days (but I doubt it looking at his numbers):

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15350

Reply #172659 | Report this post

Rasheed36  
Years ago

Sheed would avg 20+ on a lesser team. The Pistons post season will only go as far as he can take them. His team mates have said as much.

Reply #172685 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

Humorously enough, Sheed has never averaged over 20ppg.

Reply #172689 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Sheed is not happy he has to go. Had planned a holiday with his family and said he will only go so his kids can see him play. Picking someone like Turkoglu who probably wants to go would have been a better idea and he is having a better season.

Reply #172693 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Mantis, I'm pretty sure that Yi wasn't third in the balloting. And Sheed was actually on the ballot as a C, where he came third, behind Dwight and Shaq. Those saying Turkoglu, he probably does deserve to make it, but it would've come down to Sheed and Big Z, due the East needing another big.

Reply #172705 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Stats for the season so far:

Bogut 13.4 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.4 apg and 1.75 bpg
Sheed 12.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 2.0 apg and 1.58 bpg
Big Z 13.5 ppg, 9.5 ppg, 1.6 apg and 1.65 bpg

So you could definitely say that Bogut and Big Z had a fair claim to be All Stars as they both have better stats than Sheed. Obviously playing in a good team helps but I also think the NBA is conscious of handing out "token" All Star jerseys (especially given that it was an injury replacement and the East is low on centres). Sheed has been an All Star before and earned it while Bogut and Big Z probably have to do a bit more before they get rewarded.

Reply #173871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754