witness
Years ago

Would you drop a game?

would your junior team drop a game and let a preferred opponent through to keep another team out of finals / contention?

reckon it goes on.

Topic #14624 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Would you?

Reply #172557 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Is that you Phil??

Reply #172559 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I dont believe this s..t, this is kids basketball why would you even contemplate this brainwave or suggest that another team would. one word "TOOL"

Reply #172568 | Report this post

As if you wouldn't. if you had a chance to let a team you know you can beat in the finals at the expense of a team you can't beat, why wouldnt you

Reply #172574 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I am not a coach just a parent - who are you, if you are a coach you are coaching for the wrong reasons and if you are parent the term "UGLY PARENT" springs to mind. My kids have been taught by our Club to do their best. It should never be about throwing games as the team ya think ya can beat might just give you a whippin, and deservedly so if you entertain this moronic idea. I cant believe that any coach involved in Junior sports would express this as part of their finals plan. But just for the argument, if you cant beat the harder team, how will the other team...go figure it out tool!

Reply #172577 | Report this post

Edinburgh 13  
Years ago

no. I want my teams to be challenged and pushed every game, otherwise they aren't going to get better.

Any coach that would do this doesn't have the players best interest in mind.

Reply #172579 | Report this post

Blicavs  
Years ago

Basketball Gods will get ya doing that shite....

Reply #172583 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"throw a game" This goes completely against the basics of sport. IMO At all levels sportspeople should be playing to win, that is not to say "win at all costs" (thats for the professionals, refer the OZ cricket team) but it should be the first thing you learn, you do the best you can, all the time!

As for the idea that you will let in another tema that you "can" beat. If you teach players to lose, it wont be long before that team is another one you "cant" beat.

If your not playing to win, get off and let someone on who is.

Reply #172595 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Spot on Blicavs

Easter carnival last year, team from quite a long way South East of Adelaide decided to use some novelty plays: three point shots kneeling down, passes to the referee etc. Funny thing was, when they got to the semi against their preferred opponent they got thrashed. Meddle with form at your peril.

Reply #172619 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Depends how many $$$$$ were offered, or how many bags of lollies.

Reply #172623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have noticed that some VIC teams do this during tournaments, when they are certain to go through to the finals, mainly to save their players for when they are needed most.

Any thoughts on that strategy?

Reply #172644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say it was a regular for Vic Teams, coaches would get grilled by the heirachy beleive me.

I do however know of a coach who recently used the excuse for losing a game, so that they could give the winning team a false sense of achievment and a pathway to an easier semi for the losers, only to run into a hot team who handed them their butts.

Players get the wrong message. Also, there was an incident that was done to death in regards to the Easter Tournament last year between Norwood and Keilor where teams shifted grades or identities. Norwood 1 now Norwood 2 or something along those lines.

The earlier posts have it right, you just do not throw games !!

Reply #172655 | Report this post

Pulteney 69  
Years ago

there is a difference between 'resting players' which smart coaches will do during tournaments so they are fresh come finals time, and deliberatly making subs with the intention of harming your chances of winning.

Reply #172667 | Report this post

Fish E Man  
Years ago

(#172568) Another parent on their very high horse, good for the thread though!

Agree with the above; you never throw games; however smart coaches rest players or try totally new plays at stratigic times, without letting on to the kids.

If you let on to the kids that you would rather meet team x over team y you can garantee when they meet team x they will just expect to win without effort.

Reply #173289 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

FISH aren't biting!

Reply #173720 | Report this post

Anonymous founded  
Years ago

Reply #174810 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

or, floundered

Reply #174813 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

to the comment by 'me'

win at all costs, so if u wanted to win the overall season you wouldnt lose one game so you can win all the others?

win at all costs so then you have more chance of losing in the finals

or
lose this game so then you can win and all costs were taken

although i do not agree with this in junior sports but in seniors or certain level of div 1 district well its a tactic that does work, but wat u have to realise is it can back fire.

Reply #174827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754