Anonymous
Years ago

Could an ABL team from SA compete in the SEABL?

I have just heard that North finished 3rd in the Bendigo SEABL tournament over the weekend and that was without Rychart, Hambour, Eze and Mapunda.
It has got me thinking could a local ABL team really compete in the SEABL?

I know that its maybe more a dollars and cents thing but is there a current roster that would push or be able to win at this level.
One would have to think that North would be a chance and also with the list that Forestville have put together you would think they could go close as well.

Also is this something BSA should look at helping to promote?
Surely having more SA based teams in there would be better for the state and the youth coming through?

Thoughts?

Topic #14638 | Report this topic

Buffalo's  
Years ago

Sure. It could work. Wonder what we could call them...

Reply #172775 | Report this post

No!  
Years ago

No it wouldn't work, as it would cost too much money, both in terms of increased costs of being in SEABL and the fact that you would need imports to compete. A team would do it for a little while, suck the club's funds dry (funds which by and large are junior player funds) and then that club is screwed for the next 5-10 years. If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it!

Reply #172777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect that the NBL might look to create two tiers of NBL-level competition. An Academy or ABL All-Star type side could possibly compete as Adelaide's second team against smaller NBL teams like West Sydney.

Reply #172781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In reply to Buffalo's question, we would call them the Forestville Eagles

Reply #172786 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Sponsorship would be a major issue, now if Vili's were looking to expand into Regional Victoria, then he may be interested, if you are talking Forestville.

You are talking about, up to 15 away games in Victoria, NSW & Tasmania and on occasions playing either Friday night or Sunday, so players would need to be able to get away from their current jobs/study to be able to manage the travel side.

Plus, when would they play their home games, on a Saturday Night? How many other Club supporters would go to Wayville or Hillcrest (just examples) to see them play say Geelong, Hobart or Mt Gambier, if their own club (Sturt, Southern West etc.) was playing in a CABL at the same time. not me anyway

Reply #172799 | Report this post

just_the_facts  
Years ago

Excluding Mount Gambier, 8 previous SA teams have competed in SEABL but none since 1995.
These being Woodville 88-91, Adelaide 88-95, Sturt 81, South Adelaide 81, North Adelaide 81-83, Norwood 90, Noarlunga 81-82 and Murray Bridge 93-94.
There is no doubt an Adelaide all star team could compete, hell if Mount Gambier can do it surely Adelaide can.

The trick is to do it without levying the juniors or any one association. To do this you have to make it self sustaining in its own right. This in turn means that you have to get bums on seats which means the full family entertainment package (cheerleaders, mascots, music, the works) not just the basketball game in order to differentiate the product from ABL. Problem is that the market you are looking at is the punters who watch the ABL games, hence you would rob that league to benefit the SEABL team. I'm fairly sure Basketball SA would not be supportive of this.

While the 36ers exist there is little likelyhood of snaring sponsor $ necessary to compete unless you set the team up like the Sydney SKY (Sydney Kings Youth) which was a true development squad for the Kings and shared the Kings sponsors.

Question is, has anyone got the balls to do it or is it worth waiting to see what the mooted BA 2nd tier comp looks like (probably a lot like SEABL me thinks ;-)

Reply #172847 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The key fact here is that the SEABL is not the competition it was say ten years ago and is progressively becoming weaker.

First Waratah (dramatically) and then BigV (gradually) have taken much of the quality of the SEABL away since 2000/1. There are lots of players in both those leagues now who would be starting five players at any SEABL side. 5-10 Kings and West Sydney Razorbacks players for a start - plus a lot more in Vic clubs.

The SEABL sides of a decade ago often went 9-10 deep, now with the exception of probably Geelong over the last couple of years and perhaps Canberra who have seemed pretty even over the years they go perhaps 6-7 deep. Geelong's depth has now come back to haunt it really - but to their credit thats how it should be.

Your question was about competing - playing stock wise, of course a SA side could compete in the 2008 version of the SEABL - in men anyway. I suspect with the Lightning being as strong as they are this year that the women's ABA comp will be better too this season.

Should BSA promote that? Why? What would that achieve that the current SA ABA league would not achieve? Why would you be encouraging a club to spend say 50k basically just to fly to play? Makes no sense at all.

Reply #173963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ho,

The SEABL is the next best level of competition outside the NBL. Why wouldn't you want an ABL team to enter the SEABL. Sure there is a hefty financial burden that goes along with entering the league but it is the next step up.

I believe if North wins the ABL title again this year then they should seriously consider finding the funds for the move. North have the quality players and coaching group to play at that level so why not.

You can also look at it as a development team for the 36ers. In the off season the guys competing for spots can play at high level and show the coaching staff hey are ready to make the next step!

All just opinions though!!!

Reply #173990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were talking about 2008, put North Adelaide into SEABL, they would be ok, could push for finals.

Maybe this system could work, one SA club goes into SEABL, at end of season they play against winner of ABL to see who plays SEABL the next year??

Option 2 is 36ers enter development squad into SEABL.

Reply #174023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754