Isaac
Years ago

NBL All Star Teams named

The NBL All Star Teams have been named. Willie Farley will start for the World team, while Dusty Rychart will come off the bench. Brett Maher will come off the Australian bench.

World NBL All-Stars
Starters - Casey Calvary (Townsville), Rob Brown (Townsville), Dave Thomas (Melbourne), Willie Farley (Adelaide), Brian Wethers (Hunter)
Bench - Rashad Tucker (Melbourne), Darnell Mee (Wollongong), Dusty Rychart (Adelaide), Chris Burgess (Cairns), Nick Horvath (West Sydney).
Coach - Brian Goorjian (Sydney)

Aussie NBL All-Stars
Starters - Brad Newley (Townsville), John Rillie (Townsville), Jason Smith (Sydney), Simon Dwight (West Sydney), Peter Crawford (Perth).
Bench - Brett Maher (Adelaide), Mark Bradtke (Melbourne), Glen Saville (Wollongong), Stephen Black (Brisbane), Ben Knight (Sydney)
Coach - Phil Smyth (Adelaide)

The starting spots were decided by a paid SMS vote by fans. The benches were decided by a poll of media members.

Topic #1464 | Report this topic

wak  
Years ago

What a sorry state of affairs.

4 Townsville players all the top 5s - reeks of rigged election.

Reply #16744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Townsville asked their fans to vote in the poll?

I don't recall anything about it on the Sixers site or announced at games.

Reply #16745 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

plus Peter Crawford (ex Croc) not rigged, just would have a bigger profile in Townsville. The benches would beat both starting lineups though

Reply #16746 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

It's the first I have heard of it

Reply #16747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They were using a premium SMS for votes so I'm sure that put many people off. I can't imagine that it would have made the NBL enough money to be worthwhile, but I might be wrong.

Reply #16748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why Brett on the bench he is a gun! he should of been the first one picked

Reply #16749 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I guess the public didnt vote for Mahersy, so the media panel did (i wasnt on the panel, so dont blame me!!)

Reply #16751 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Who here voted for the All Star teams?

I didn't.

Good to see the big 3 from Adelaide are there though.

Reply #16752 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

plus Oscar is in the Dunk comp!!

Reply #16754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't.

I did vote in the NBA All Star Ballot though.

Given that much of the NBLs publicity would be generated via the net (I doubt that any fan not reading the NBL site regularly would've ever heard about the All Star vote), I think that a free web vote would've been much better. They could've easily used a "Send this to 5 friends who follow basketball" to ensure that word spread.

SMS votes are great if the audience is hearing about the competition on TV or radio, but I doubt that they were.

Reply #16755 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Brad Newley starting instead of Brett Maher. I love the idea of leaving the voting to fans, but this is clearly an example of the down side of the idea.

Reply #16758 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Can I ask why Bradkte and Maher are coming off the bench? At least Smyth will get them on quickly.Actually if you look at it I think the bench would beat the starting five.

Reply #16768 | Report this post

double clutch  
Years ago

I say next year every member of this site votes in Darren Ng, and maybe even Snake while we are at it.

Reply #16782 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Atleast the US starting 5 is vaguely balanced. The Aussie starting 5 is 4 SG's and Simon Dwight, a SG in a PF's body.

Reply #16788 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754