Fles = switchq
Years ago

Why do SA teams love Flex?

What is is about SA Hoops that means Flex is a must?

Switch all G-G and B-B = Late clock.

Why do SA M & C love flex?!?!?!?

Topic #14727 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Those drugs your on, can I have a couple?

Reply #173997 | Report this post

Wilma  
Years ago

SA aren't up to it that's why. We are not good enough to win and our players don't have the ability to take in more than one simple offence.

Reply #174002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I assume it's something to do with this: Flex offense and SA M & C are the metro and country teams. Unsure about "G-G" and "B-B" - any help?

Reply #174003 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The 'G-G and B-B=Late Clock' was the confusing bit.......

Reply #174007 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

"G-G" used for a cheap thrill and side effects range from delirium , disassosciation to death .
James Harvey was a fan .

"B-B" a quickfire offense , basically first chance shoot scenario born from Phoenix , Arizona .
Also known as 'bang bang' or 'double barrel' .

Reply #174008 | Report this post

Lou Filerman  
Years ago

None of the U/16 or U/18 Metro state teams ran flex last year.

Maybe you've been watching too many South or West junior boys games?

Reply #174013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G-G = guard to guard (screens)
B-B = big to big

Having said that, I didn't see ANY flex from the SAM teams last couple of years. Saw limited SAC stuff - but didn't see any flex there either (in that limited selection).

As written above - the only flex I've seen recently is by South (who use it quite a lot) and West boys.

Reply #174019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

btw - by "limited", I mean I didn't see them very much/often - not that their stuff was limited.

Reply #174021 | Report this post

Moose 65  
Years ago

I can't remember the last time I saw this run even in junior ball. I don't know what you are on about.

Reply #174027 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Semi-related: interesting story about the new offensive system that's all the rage in the US at the moment, the Dribble-Drive Motion offense.

Lots of college and high school teams on board, and Denver and Boston are running bits of it in the NBA.

Reply #174029 | Report this post

smithers  
Years ago

Flex as an offense provides opportunity for players to generate their own offense and creative players will flourish off of it. I personally am a huge fan of flex as I have a team of players that can play all positions and flex can create some interesting mismatches

Reply #174033 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

agreed,

Every player in juniors should at some stage should learn flex as it has great principals with regards to motion and mismatches.

Found the DDM article interesting, thanks for that Bo. Though i very stongly suspect its just an extention of Dean Smiths {Jordan's North Carolina coach } system best exemplified at the 76 Olympics when Phil Ford could not be contained under Dean's system off the dribble, and Adrian Dantley just took on all the bigger Euro Forwards off the dribble and made mince meat out of them.

Reply #174037 | Report this post

BBallGod  
Years ago

Nothing beats motion to learn those principles. Motion offenses are predicated on ball movement then player movement. Structured offenses are predicated on player movement then ball movement.

Which concept is best to teach young players the game?

Personally, if you want to disrupt a flex offense, shut down and deny the GtoG pass and double team the forward when he receives the ball in the corner.

Reply #174085 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Argentina won against the USA in the 2002 World Championship and ran the flex. That was the first loss for a "NBA" US teams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/09/04/usa_argentina_ap/

If only the US knew about your "Switch all G-G and B-B = Late clock."

Reply #174124 | Report this post

argie  
Years ago

It's not actually flex as such.

If you had have attended the clinic at Seymour with the argentinian coach you would have seen a set called flex, but was really a couple of sets that had some flex actions.

Reply #174130 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Did not attend but watched the game. (Seymour is a bit far for me.) It was flex with lots of different entries. Maybe they changed it a bit since 2002.

Reply #174137 | Report this post

argie  
Years ago

Entry was similar, and ended with a turnout and a down screen at the same time, with the cutters being able to read which screen they would use.

Not like flex at all and the coach actually commented on it.

Reply #174141 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

A cross screen followed by a down screen is nothing like flex. This "unknown" offence made a comeback in the NBA after the 2002 championship. Maybe we have a different idea what flex is.

Reply #174155 | Report this post

flaming tiger  
Years ago

dodobird, my idea of flex was a cross screen followed by a down screen. I hope I'm reading sarcasm... I ran it last year with junior boys, scored a bucket load on the cross screen and was actually commented on by your former coach (if i'm right in knowing who you are) Terry A, who liked the idea to give back-up structure when offense isn't working.

Reply #174168 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Yeh they ran lots of Flex type action. So I think you can call it flex. The player who cut off the cross screen could also read the "D" and use the down screen instead. What else did they run in 2002 argie???

Reply #174364 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Valk called "flex" in todays' game..(Lightning vs Flames)

Reply #174489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754