me
Years ago

Does Voldemort need to apply?

I notice apparently Voldmeort has not "applied" for his job, but, does he need to? is there a requirement calling for his application, or will Mal speak to the others and then measure them against Volde..if they are "better" appoint them, if not.

Welcome back voldemort?

Topic #14734 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure, but you'd expect that he'd put in a formal application if he wanted the job? Or at least take a formal interview (as at least two coaches have already, AFAIK) to put forward his plans?

Reply #174078 | Report this post

Squid Lips  
Years ago

How can they hold formal interviews when the closing dates for applicants is not until Friday. That would smell of favouratism to some. Surely the process would be to have all applications in, sort through them and then select those suitable for interview.

Reply #174091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you ever worked in management before squid lips?

If you've application and they appear suitable, why not interview them early on, free up some time in your diary later.

No favourtism, just looking to be proactive.

Reply #174095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's necessarily favouritism. They're pressed to make a choice and getting some done early isn't outrageous, IMO. Can easily keep interviewing as applicants come in. It might be unorthodox compared to the business world, but so are salary caps and free agency rules.

Reply #174096 | Report this post

Years ago

Why does everyone seem to think that Phil has not applied when in fact he has.

Reply #174111 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

That will be disappointing for him

Reply #174113 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The reason I said that he hasn't applied is because he said on saturday that he wasn't sure. He wanted another two days to think about it and mentioned applications close in two days.

Reply #174116 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

If you are not 100% sure or passionate, then get out!

Reply #174140 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

I tell you what Issac, I heared who was on the interview panel I can understand 2 of them but the other two blew my mind.

It seems a little half assed already.

No one at all that can smell the difference between a coach and mini bus.

Can you research the panel and list them for all to give their thoughts.

2 interviews definately done and locked away for decision. Would not be surprised if there are no more sit downs.

Reply #174151 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

He wont apply as he knows he is not getting the job regardless if he applies or not so he will not waste his time or embarass himself.

If the man who needs not to be mentioned is to be taking on a job at the Beijing Olympics how would he mix coaching in the NBL pre season and working for the seven network?

Reply #174152 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Quagmire, not that I want Phil back, nor do I think that he will be back, but hasn't he done the Olympic job before? Sydney, IIRC?

Besides, the whole 'he wouldn't be able to prepare, etc etc' argument seems to be one that leaves out the fact Goorj, Joyce and Beveridge (I think that's the Boomers coaching team?) all have to do both anyway.

Reply #174153 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Beveridge and Ninnis all ready been interviewed if they are the front runners we are in big trouble.Beveridge 1 season finished 10th Ninnis no success wow theres a couple of resons to think we are going to succeed.

Reply #174158 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Beveraged improved the team this year and Ninnis is terrific at developing players so i would give either a try.

Reply #174164 | Report this post

numnuts  
Years ago

jokker - It's been said 10 million times already but you are forgeting that Ninnis has never coached at NBL level, so while you are correct that he has no success, at the same time he hasn't failed either, which puts him in a similar situation to Phil S, who had also never coached at NBL level when getting the gig 10 years ago.

Reply #174165 | Report this post

numnuts  
Years ago

Similar situation to 10 PS 10 years ago that is.

Reply #174166 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

150 applications received. That seems a lot to me.
ten interviewed. Phyl still undecided.

Reply #174169 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Who has Ninnis developed ? Phil was also an assistant coach for 7 or so years at the A.I.S under Adrian Hurley a lot more more than Ninnis has done.So that comparison is pretty lame.Smyth developed a lot of players while there that went on to represent Australia and play big minutes in the N.B.L. So you are way off in your facts.I like Ninnis but not close in the amount of coaching and coaches they learned from again they do not compare.Smyth way ahead at the same stage when applying for the job ten years ago.

Reply #174180 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Numnuts PS coached at the AIS for 7 years under Adrian Hurley before coming into the league.He was given huge credit by both Adrian and the players there in his time for there development guys like Bradtke,Longley and Vlahov.There were plenty of others who talk him up playing in the NBL who developed under him at the AIS.Ilike Ninnis but you cant compare the two and there records at any time Smyth was way ahead in his development when he came into the job 10 years ago.Who has Ninnis developed to play in the NBL?Not having a dig just wondering.

Reply #174182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panel is:

Hemmerling
Bauer
Shahin
Hubbard

150 applicants, 10 interviews conducted to date, and 3 that the club are quite interested in so far.

No application from Phil when The Advertiser went to print over night. Boti mentions that Phil may have issues with Hemmerling taking time to replace Chappell during the season.

Reply #174192 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

150..wow.

Adelaide really should be going out trying to find coaches from US, Europe etc.

Reply #174193 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

150 applicants!! Who are all these people?!?

Also, how does Sam Shahin get a gig on the interview panel? From what I can gather he's a director of Peregrine Corporation who are business partners (sponsors?) of the Sixers. I wouldn't have thought that entitled him to a spot on the panel, does anyone know any more about him and his link to the club?

Reply #174200 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

I think the Hawks got 30 appliacnts from South America and 15 from USA when Brendon self destructed?

Word certainly gets around, lots of world class coaches with out a gig, but how do you take a chance on them.

Reply #174205 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

the panel is a bit of a joke, Shahin and Hubbard, unless thats the Hubbard from Illawarra Hawks we could not get 2 people with less idea on what and NBL coach looks like.

Shahin could have asked Scott about his favouite "on the run' store.

Or whether the 6 pack of coke cans with ever premier car wash is attractive to the basketball community.

Or whether he thinks bongs should be back on sale at Smokemart stores.

but please I could not see any probing questions on coaching at any level.

Reply #174354 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, Phil has now formally applied for the position.

Reply #174356 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Channel 7 Comfirmed it

Reply #174365 | Report this post

Betty Leadfoot  
Years ago

Also mentioned on ABC News.

Reply #174368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754