Isaac
Years ago

Funny Boti: 150 applications to coach 36ers

The Adelaide 36ers have had more than 150 applications for their NBL coaching position, Phil Smyth's name not among them.
Adelaide's panel of owner Mal Hemmerling, businessman Sam Shahin, BasketballSA boss Mark Hubbard and Bauer have interviewed 10 candidates of which at least three have the qualities the club is seeking.

Full article on AdelaideNow

Today is the formal closing date for applications.

Topic #14742 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Just posted this elsewhere but might be more visible here...

150 applicants!! Who are all these people?!?

Also, how does Sam Shahin get a gig on the interview panel? From what I can gather he's a director of Peregrine Corporation who are business partners (sponsors?) of the Sixers. I wouldn't have thought that entitled him to a spot on the panel, does anyone know any more about him and his link to the club?

Reply #174201 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Good, they got my application. Just waiting for a call back...

Reply #174202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shahin must be involved financially

Reply #174204 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Quick Mumma here is your bigga chance in life ..

Reply #174206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, he's a big fan of the club, very successful and apparently offers all sorts of help. Not sure if he brings any coaching expertise to the panel, but would be backing up Hemmerling a bit I reckon. Have only heard people say good things about him.

The gig would've been advertised on Eurobasket and that network of sites (I suggested trying that to Bauer and he'd already done it at the time) which would've led to a host of applications from Europe, South America, etc.

"KC- gone" just posted in another thread:

I think the Hawks got 30 appliacnts from South America and 15 from USA when Brendon self destructed?

Word certainly gets around, lots of world class coaches with out a gig, but how do you take a chance on them.
After Bo Hamburger posted the SI article about Vance Wahlberg, I forwarded that to the club too - can't be too helpful (OK, they probably don't care, but it was at least an interesting read!).

Reply #174208 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Isaac, YOU'RE a big fan of the club, can you be on the panel?

Reply #174212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not quite as useful or helpful as Shahin, I guarantee you! And though I love going to games and following the team and league, there'd be a lot of people around (especially on this forum) with more direct passion than me. I'd be useless on the panel. "So, what was your WWR in TSN NBA Season 1 in 2007/08? You don't play TSN? Get out of here!"

---

Easy to suggest that they could have more relevant coaching expertise on their panel (and it's probably a fair thing to question), but when almost every potential coach in the state might've thrown their hat in the ring, who do you ask for input?

Might be a few outside of SA that'd be worth hitting up for their views (Hurley, Goorjian, etc) but that might have to happen after you've shortlisted people and by phone?

Reply #174213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now thats great, with Sam Shahin also involved financially with the club and now knowing that they only did not want to cut chappell for financial reasons, the 36ers will never compete with the likes of Brisbane and the Tigers with these guys in charge! They simply will not spend up big at any cost (cause thats how they operate).

Here we go again, a budget 36ers team again for 08/09 and forget about Hodge comming back if he decides to play in the NBL again I know other clubs will offer him a great deal more.

Reply #174215 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Perhaps they're taking a more corporate HR approach, find a guy who'll fit into the organisation, be a team player, get along with management and sponsors, manage the press, be good for PR and publicity and if time permits, coach a basketball team.....

Reply #174216 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Shahin has been added to the ownership in a direct or indirect capacity, I do not see how that's a negative at all. Good backing and good opportunities.

Reply #174217 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

From what I know of the Shahin's they are not adverse to spending coin at all. Just check out the family 'palace' down at Sellicks Beack!

Reply #174220 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

And it's still all Phil's fault????

Reply #174226 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Change the bait Dana..

; )

Reply #174228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, what is? Chappell? As I've said all along, I suspect earlier a lot of the decision was his and that, later (e.g., maybe a couple of games before the decision was made, and then during the three games of just Ballinger) the responsibility shifted.

Reply #174234 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

DB5...why when it works?
;)

Reply #174239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you have to understand how these guys operate, they dont like spending their own dollars.

Reply #174241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana, you just might be a happy girl yet. Unbelievable.

Reply #174243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

174241, aware and I don't blame them - bring in a player, and maybe they can't find form or get injured. Play well and maybe crowds don't show because there are other events on or it's a Fox game.

Reply #174244 | Report this post

Wonder  
Years ago

I wonder how many crackpot applications they got. IE joe blow from the crowd putting their handup... I know of at least one haha!

Reply #174248 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

DDFan applied, but the Sixers wouldn't agree to his demand of getting a lift to each game from Port Road.

Reply #174249 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I asked for Hodge,Ballinger,Davidson,Maher,Ng and Cooper. With Cole senior mentor and Stirling assistant and don't pay me til after we win the championship.

Reply #174254 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

there must be some good coaches from the states we could pick up, college assistants or somethin like that or ex college coaches. Throw some money there way and see wat happens.
if they want adelaide to compete in the league there gonna need 2 spend a bit of cash

Reply #174260 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If the panel consisted of more coaching expertise, then they may as well do the job instead of interviewing for it. I recently applied for a promotion where I work and the fact that I had been doing the job for the last 5 years meant nothing. There were methods of choosing the "right" applicant which had nothing to do with the actual job itself.

Reply #174268 | Report this post

and did u get the job EC???

Reply #174288 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Gold doctor..i actually laughed out loud at that. interestingly i heard DD applied, then wrote a letter rescinding his application, then wrote a further letter accusing Isaac of tampering with his first letter?

Ive been away a while, but arent Shahin the owners of smokemart? interesting healthy lifestyle link that one.

and the financial results of the business are certainly impressive, but i can see NO JUSTIFICATION for their involvement in coach selection.

One must question, can what happened to the lightning last year (selection wise) happen to the 36ers next year?

Reply #174306 | Report this post

Sixers14  
Years ago

Its great to see Sam Shahin on the panel, this actually gives me confidence that candidates will be treated with respect, its good to have a balance - he might be working on the financial aspect alot more, also he is personally successful and driven so he would be looking for these aspects also in someone. More experience from the basketball game side itself would be good to see on the panel.

Reply #174340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peregrine own the 'on the run' servo's i think.
Which include smokemart, but also subway.

Reply #174345 | Report this post

Fish E Man  
Years ago

The Shahins' dont like spending dollars!!!!

Have you seen how many "On The Runs" are springing up at a corner near you?

If thats not spending money then I'll go HeeeeeeY.

Reply #174351 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

me, that DD bit made me laugh. Nice work.

And yes, Shahin's own the On The Run's, so he has Subway to balance it all out. ;)

Reply #174410 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Edward S, yes.

Reply #174418 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Boti seems to think that Ken Cole won't be getting the job.

Reply #174435 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Ken Cole was just a bit of media hype. Not genuinely seeking. I still get a little bit excited, just at the mention of his name.

Reply #174440 | Report this post

frog82  
Years ago

Cornsey said this morning on 5aa that phil did apply!

Reply #174441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cole just made an enquiry about the position, I think. No formal application that I'm aware of.

Reply #174469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754