Bo Hamburger
Years ago

FIBA 33 - basketball's 20/20?

Via BA, saw FIBA touting its new product, FIBA 33:

The rules of FIBA 33 are quite simple. A team consists of four players (three players are on the court and one is a substitute) and one coach.

The game is played on a half court, on one basket, in three periods of five minutes each. Most of the FIBA rules regarding scoring and fouling are valid.

The team scoring first 33 points or leading the game after the regular game time is the winner.

(I love how FIBA name it after themselves; somehow 'ICC 20/20' doesn't sound quite as strong.)

Is this a good idea? Who is FIBA's audience here; who do they envisage taking this up? Someone on this forum must know something.

Topic #14748 | Report this topic

PHD in shot  
Years ago

why 4 why not make it 6 and play a full court game with 5 min quarters lots of run and gun could be quite entertaining. half court would get 2 clogged up and be borin even if it is only 5 min.

Reply #174264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every sport needs to stay current with something like this. Not sure what tennis can do, but soccer has a bit of potential to do something (discussed it with friends recently and we talked about no goalie or reducing the number of players on the field every couple of minutes).

FIBA 33 sounds like it needs something more before it's going to be different enough to appeal. Maybe bonus points for a dunk, something to encourage blocks (no or reduced goal-tending somehow?), etc.

Reply #174269 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Agreed, especially with the soccer. Those guys are so talented but, IMO, we don't really get to see all of their skills that often. I would love to see how a basketball influenced version of soccer would pan out(no goalie, no offside, 5 on 5, smaller ground).

I also think their should be more skins golf tournaments - I love seeing those guys go for the one in a thousand shot.

Also should add I don't think any of these sort of games should totally replace the old school ones.

Reply #174290 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

For variations on soccer look no further than indoor and beach. Both show players skills alot more than the outdoor game and are both entertaining to play and watch.

FIBA 33 sounds like street ball with a ref.

Reply #174295 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It reinforces that NBA Jam was way ahead of its time.

You recreate elements of that in real life = surefire hit.

Reply #174304 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

But how do you set up "Big head" mode ?!

Reply #174315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Once the ball's on fire, I think Big Head Mode is the least of your worries!

("He's heating up!" - I would love to hear Neil announce that at a 36ers game for Ballinger!)

Reply #174335 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Football has both Futsal and Beach Soccer - World Cups for both were played recently, and both are controlled by FIFA and have been for years. Ahead of the times?

Reply #174444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754