mr clutch
Years ago

Is Amare the most overrated player in the NBA?

With talks of him being the best big in the NBA and an MVP candidate is he possibly the most overrated player in the league? he can hit an open J, he is exceptional at timing his cuts for the spoon feed from Nash, and his face up drive is effective due to his athleticism and power, it is however his only go to move in a one on one situation.

He has no post up game at all, he has no passing game and his defense is awful (i dont care how many shots he blocks.. he goes for everything thus getting caught out of position for the board, dish and pump fake. He also has a lot more opportunities due to the crappy perimeter D of Phoenix). His rebounding numbers are bloated due to phoenix's style of play and the extra amount of shots attempted in comparison to other teams, along with his point totals - along with the rest of the squad. Most of all he isn't a winner.

I'm not saying that that he isn't an effective player, however on a squad with a half court/defensive basis (a championship squad) he would be no where near as effective.
Please don't reel of a whole bunch of stats to me trying to justify your argument because my point is that stats are deceptive.

Topic #14785 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

ROFL...

No he is not the best big in the NBA, but he is pretty darn good.

Even if he only has one move as you say. If it can't be stopped it's good enough.

Let's see how he goes playing significant minutes at the 4 spot, he should relish the role.

Reply #174614 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

PS. Not a Celtics fan are you mr clutch? Or just a KG fan?

Reply #174615 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I dont think he is overrated. Just very good on a winning team

Reply #174619 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

More of a Shane Battier fan

Reply #174620 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

1. not over rated

2. not the best big

3. but hes one damn good player

Reply #174622 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

It is amusing how someone will talk up players they like for their few strengths, then attack players they don't like because they don't have perfectly well rounded games and can't do everything on the court. This just in....noone can!

There are many players with Amare's size and athleticism not many are all nba first team candidates. Stromile Swift can't drop 33 and 15 on KG last time i checked.

Reply #174623 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

M Dizzle you might notice that i didn't start a thread about stromile swift of JR smith's shortcomings. i talked about amare becuase he's an MVP candidate and the other players who are considered to be in his class have well rounded games with few or no weaknesses.

Reply #174624 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

And they have been in the league for 8-10 years, with college or international experience to boot.

Reply #174626 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Also what i was alluding to with the Swift comparison, is you cannot attribute someone's game purely to their physical attributes. They are a dime a dozen...but there are few in Amare's class.

Reply #174629 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'm assuming that this thread was started due to Shaq's comments? He justs talks up whoever he plays with, look at what he was saying about Wade when he went to Miami.

I certainly don't think Amare is overrated. It's pretty much common knowledge that his man D is sub-par and I don't think anyone would claim that he is rebounding moster. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm not too sure who that post was aimed at, mr clutch. No one has called an MVP candidate (or at least I haven't read anything of the sort?) and short of Shaq, I haven't heard anyone say that he is without question the best big in the league.

Perhaps this thread is a bit of an overreaction?

Reply #174631 | Report this post

Mr clutch is one of those laker fans who's still upset about losing to phoenix twice in a row now in the playoffs. (p.s i know Lakers have won lots of championships, and phoenix haven't won any)

No, he can't play great post defense. thats not his game. he's finally got a big who can guard the post players, and let him do what he is very good at, which is coming across to block/alter the shot. And he is a supreme shot blocker, with his height, athleticism, and the fact he keeps most of his blocks in play. oh, and he just won a mind battle with KG. who can say they've done that?

and not a winner? he's only 25. and hes improving every year. I dont think even the great Michael Jordan had a ring at 25. or Hakeem. or Chamberlain. or etc etc etc. Perhaps its Nash whos not the winner? Or maybe they're just stuck behind a better team, the spurs? Playoffs is all about matchups, and you can't deny that Phoenix has been a top 3 team for the last 4 years, but they have a particular hurdle they cant overcome. If the same team was in the east, perhaps phoenix would have won by now. who knows. But to not call someone a winner because he hasnt won a championship irks me

but thats what i think

Reply #174640 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

M Dizzle, guys of Amare's size and athleticism are hardly a dime a dozen, there's only a handful of guys in the league (and probably in the world of basketball) of his size with his jack in the box explosiveness.

Reply #174641 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

You cannot attribute his success to his physical tools tho

Reply #174647 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

The thread is not based around any comments or statments. it is mearly just an observation. I am not saying that because he hasn't won a championship he is not a winner, im saying that he doesnt have the characteristics of a proven winner - someone who finds a way to contribute in different ways if their shot isnt going, someone who has the smarts control the tempo of the game, make a timley bucket or stop when they feel a momentum slip, set good picks, box out etc etc. he doesn't anything beyond the stat sheet. he is really good at dunk shoting however.

Reply #174648 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Clutch, you are expecting too much out of a guy at only 25. When he came in he couldn't handle the ball at all and cudn't hit a shot that wasnt a dunk. Now he can drive the ball from 20 feet, hit the face up jumpshot and if you have noticed is slowly extending his range out to the 3. It takes years to round out your game in the league. Give it another 2 years and you never know he could become a more than adequate post defender and become quite adept at finding open players out of double teams etc. No doubt alot of players show such qualities you mention at an earlier age but rarely are they bigmen. He's well ahead of the curve and I don't know how you can call someone like that overrated.

Reply #174651 | Report this post

Amare sets some of the best picks in the game, thats why he's so adept at getting 'spoon fed' the ball by Nash. and for a guy who's shooting almost 60%, its quite rare to see him not contributing on offense.

And anyway. the most overrated player in the league HAS to be Baron Davis. I mean, GS sucked last year. Suddenly stephen jackson (a real winner) comes along, (if i recall correctly, GS had merely a mathematical chance of reaching the playoffs), they go on a big tear, scrape in, beat dallas, and lose to a superior Utah team. This year, 1-6 until the champion Jackson comes along and irons things out. Baron, MVP candidate? hes not even the most valuable player on his team.

Reply #174655 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Mr Clutch, not every player has to make other players better. There are some players who score points. They are called scorers. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins in case you did not know. So these "scorers" can be quite valuable. And FFS, what Suns player thinks about the tempo. They have one tempo, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Reply #174656 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, i agree with clutch 100%!!

Reply #174658 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

elg - Baron will always have those 4/18 nights. but its the all round game that he has that makes him so good.
MVP no - didnt even get a gig at the all star weekend (should have IMO).

When Baron is on he is one of those almost unstopable players! and is great to watch!

Reply #174666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amare has many tools he can beat you with these days.

Over rated....I think not.

Reply #174667 | Report this post

Guru  
Years ago

He does what he needs to do on that squad. If he was at a different team I bet he would adapt to the needs of that team. Phoenix are winning and he is putting up good numbers. What else do you what? Maybe if he was putting up good numbers but Phoenix was losing (like Kobe last year) then he might have to think about doing something different. But all in all he is young, athletic, dominant and not overrated. I don't think many people think he's the best big in the league. Dwight Howard has that position pretty much covered. I wouldn't put KG and and Amare in the centre category with Howard because I think they're more power forwards.

If your asking whether Amare is overrated you could ask the same thing about Nash.
Is the only reason he gets so many assists is because of Amares finishing capabilities? NO, he does what he needs to do on that particular squad.

Reply #174669 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I'm not sure you can say he has no post game. The Suns just don't run any post up plays. 95% of their offense is pick and rolls.

His poor defence means I dont think you can consider him the best big man in the NBA.

I'd say Duncan is the best big man in the NBA. Rasheed Wallace might be the most all around talented.
Amare is the best finisher though.

Reply #174676 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

rasheed wallace the most all round talent....wow..

i dont understand why someone would post this? amare is clearly a beast and what do u mean 'overrated?'. who rates him so highly? whose ever said hes the best PF in the game or anythign like that? why would no one say his name? then wouldnt he be so highly under appreciated? he gets as much hype as any other star in the league or someone that puts up those numbers. also coz hes a highlight reel, on a winning team and averaging 23pts 9rebs...oh, and hes an absolute machine who cant be stopped.

Reply #174683 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Rasheed has the best combination of shooting, post play, passing, post defence and weak side defense. He is only a moderate rebounder for his size, but he can do it all. He plays for a well balanced team, so he doesn't put up the big stats of the others.

Reply #174691 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

...duncan?...no?

Reply #174692 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

kevin garnett?...??

Reply #174693 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Amare is nothing but a MVP Candidate

We all know who will get the MVP this season if the current trend continues

His name.........Kobe Bryant

Reply #174710 | Report this post

Lebrons already got it. guaranteed.

Reply #174750 | Report this post

Philba  
Years ago

Ridiculous topic. Anyone care to note that Amare missed an entire season due to multiple knee surgeries?!? Give me the names of any other guys in the NBA putting up similar numbers, and contributing as much as he does after knee surgery.

Might I add that in the 05/06 playoffs (pre knee-surgery) he averaged 37 points per game against the Spurs, with Tim Duncan in his prime. Hardly over-rated I would say...

Give him a couple seasons to improve his defence and rebounding like he improved his jump shot and foul shooting, and then you can criticise

Reply #174760 | Report this post

Phd in Shot  
Years ago

How could you say amare is overated??

he is one of the best big men in the NBA.
gr8 defender cant say he isnt.he is a quality player and he is only 25.
lots of years ahead of him to improve on all the stuff you say he lacks.
he has a gr8 long career ahead of him he will be an mvp sometime.

Reply #174763 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

ELG

Lakers record 38-17 - 1st in the West

Cavs record 32-24 - 4th in the East

If things stay the way they are....Kobe deserves the MVP more than LeBron

Kobe 27, 6 reb & 5 ass

Lebron 30, 8 reb & 7 ass

Kobe has sacrificed his game to make his team mates better this season

Lebron is carrying his team....who has he made better?

Reply #174768 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Lebron is carrying his team of drop-kicks

Kobe's getting help from Gasol, Odom, Bynum and a great bench.

Cant argue with 30, 8, 7.5

Still, would make sense if Kobe got it, dont think Lebron has already won it

Reply #174778 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

His playoff performance in 04/05 had him on the way to greatness. Had some huge games against the Spurs. Then he sadly did his knee and is now only a really really good player.

Reply #174785 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Phd in shot, he is NOT a 'gr8' defender, you can most defintely say he isn't.

Reply #174795 | Report this post

hmm lets see... Lakers dropped off significantly when Bynum went out, only started picking up when Gasol came... Cavs went 0-8 or something without lebron. Statistically and general play, lebron is superior.

Reply #174818 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

ELG why do you not think before you post.

Reply #174832 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

"First of all, before we even get started, Amaré Stoudemire is the best big man in the game right now. I didn't know he was that good. But talking to him and watching him play  he's the best big man in the game, at 25. And I mean that, I'm not just saying that to pump him up or just to get him going. The kid can play."

- Shaquille O'Neal

Reply #175085 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

I was right

Reply #230249 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754