thedoctor
Years ago

NBL Considering Withdrawing Kings Licence

SMH article

More insight into the troubled franchise. Seems the NBL may withdraw the licence regardless of financial situation.

Topic #14863 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update on this today - Kings could be gone as early as tomorrow (Friday).

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23287294-23769,00.html

Reply #175332 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

I am interested to find out what there attendance figures are, compared to ours for the last three or so seasons?

They have always been "helped" by the NBL, and as it seems now, even the NBL won't put up with them anymore.

Reply #175333 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Simply won't happen. They talk tough but doing that at this time of the year would make the sport look foolish.

Reply #175336 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

'Circling the drain' seems apt here. I can't think of any precedent: could you really pull the pin on a team while it's competing in the playoffs?

I'd imagine they'd allow them to finish the season and then would dispatch them?

Otherwise, didn't the Sixers lose against them twice this year? Could they argue they compiled those losses against a team which was insolvent and later kicked out (ie rather than fielding one ineligible player, they had a full team of them), and therefore they should be re-classified as wins? And then we make the playoffs, and then we ... :)

Tim Morrissey also contributes what is one of the more underwhelming opinion pieces I've read recently on any topic, here.

Summary:

- "I used to play for the Kings."

- "No simple answers as to why - but here's some simple answers, and none of them involve Tim Johnston."

- "Burn it to the ground and start again - but I have no thoughts - none - about what this may involve or any possible directions forward."

IMO if 'value-adding' is a business cliche these days, Morrissey's piece subtracted value from the Kings drain-circling saga for me. The mononymous Morrissey would have contributed something more useful.

Reply #175337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coach and players want out. Any new investor is going to be put off by that. Whatever happens, they'll be starting almost from scratch next season - can't see that being avoided.

Reply #175340 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

To me this is just shows how fragile our league is. IMO we need to get rid of all the 'rich uncle' owners who are propping up their teams because they want a tax write off or they just have that much money they dont care about losing some along the way. It seems that some people just see owning a team as a bit of a hobby - sure it costs money but its all a bit of fun.

Surely this is unsustainable and the league need to get things back on track - and fast - before the whole lot comes tumbling down.

For teams (and the league) to be sustainable they need to be profitable - and for this to happen then some hard decisions need to be made.

Reply #175345 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think we need more rich uncles, if there's 20 rich uncles all competing for 12 licenses then bring it on. We should market the league as a playground for the super rich.

Reply #175359 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Thst all well and good Billo - until these guys either -
get bored and move on to something else,
or lose a heap of cash and cant afford to prop up a basketball club anymore and are therefore forced to move on

Reply #175367 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Have realistic Salries that the business can afford in stead of saying we need to pay for the best and hope you can pull in the $ to cover.
Its the reason the clubs are going broke.

1 - Limit International player,
1 10pt oz players
3 8-9 oz players
2 5-7 oz players
2 2-4 oz players
1 YAP

Min Wage for YAP $20,000
up to max of $140,000

reduce Salry Pts to 61 pts.

That would even the comp out and make more clubs viable.

Reply #175379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The on-court costs are the last of the Kings worries.

Reply #175383 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23287294-23769,00.html

More info...

THE National Basketball League board is set to withdraw the Sydney Kings' licence by the close of business on Friday if the team's majority owner, Tim Johnston, hasn't resolved the club's financial problems.

The Kings will nevertheless play out the season while Johnston is expected to announce that he's willing to sell some of his stake in the club, in a bid to help resolve the problem.

In a dramatic escalation in the crisis engulfing the Kings in the middle of their quest to win a fourth title, one NBL board member has said that Sydney are in default of their licence for a third time this season.

Reply #175413 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Sorry if that isnt new info, I hadn't seen the Fox article yet :(

Reply #175414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KC-gone - and how many players will we then lose to Europe? Sure they won't play div 1 or what ever it's called, but there are loads of leagues over there. Ie, remember Maher got that offer from a Turkish league?

Reply #175419 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Update from AAP via Foxsports suggesting Kings will be OK short-term and even medium-term:

Foxsports.com.au reported that the club was in default of its licence, and could have the licence revoked, if it failed to make financial conditions set by the league.

But Harmison said he expected the Kings would meet the criteria set, and there was no way the pin would be pulled tomorrow.

"I can categorically deny that," Harmison said.

"I can guarantee the fans of Sydney there will be a Sydney Kings throughout the grand final series should they win the semi-final on Saturday night."

On alleged payment defaults and prospects beyond this season:

"Their payments are due and they have some time to make those payments," he said.

"To say they've defaulted is not correct."

...Harmison said he was "99.9 per cent" certain the Kings would continue in the NBL next season.

Reply #175427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754