sharpshooter
Years ago

The State of the NBL

Eddy Groves losing money hand over fist, Wolongong needing a fund raiser to stay afloat and now the Kings licence possibly being revoked.

With all this good news... where to for the NBL?

(Mod: Fixed)

Topic #14866 | Report this topic

New Name  
Years ago

Also it must be said that Eddy is probably funding the 36ers.

Trouble waters are ahead.

Reply #175375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not looking good at all:

Financially stable clubs:

Adelaide
Melbourne
South
Townsville
Cairns
Perth
Gold Coast
New Zealand (building some good support)
Brisbane (not sure what exact situation they're in after their owner lost 45 mil)

Financially unstable clubs:

West Sydney (very bad crowds, not much cash)

Sydney (risk of extinction)

Singapore (not sure, some say they are unsatble, some say they aren't; very bad crowds are getting better though)

Wollongong (just managed to stay alive for a few more years)

Definitely not good news when there are big question marks over 4 teams. Wouldn't it be nice to have to financial stability across the whole league for once!

Reply #175376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It will live on in some capacity at least.

Reply #175377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If clubs fold, the talent get's picked up elsewhere. IMO, clubs folding would create a stronger league, as better players are spread across fewer clubs.

Reply #175385 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

apols for the first two he.. he..

If Eddy is going down, then its not only the NBL but Basketball Ausrtralia that could be affected.

Basketball Aust and NBL have gone into bed with Eddy seeing him as there hope to secure the future of the sport in australia. Similar to what soccer australia has done with Frank Lowry. He has been there saviour and a man who has invested a lot of his personal fortune into soccer.

Groves has done the same, with Bullets, owning SA stadium (and we can suggest the 36ers) he is also on the board for BA review... with his balance sheet serverly dropped, what will this mean not only for the NBL and BA... i personally hope BA and NBL have back up plans.. i do think this is not the case though!

Reply #175386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Basketball's demise cause much of ripple to the sporting population as a whole? I think not and perhaps this is a good wake up call to broaden and strengthen the junior base substantially and attract wider support because the sport is definitely top heavy.

Reply #175388 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry, a participant base of 100,000 in Victoria alone suffices to justify a very solid base by themselves. The "most" participated team sport in Australia apparently only rates 110,000 members (netball) in Victoria.

Vic however basically accounts for 40% of Australia's basketball population so it is a skewed base.

Basketball has a very healthy participant base on a numbers vs numbers base with most other team sports. This is because it is a sport heavily played by both genders. If it was just girls or boys then it would be a different picture.

One of the problems is that very little of the revenue that this large base generates moves up to BA level. Other sports gather up to $10-$12 per participant at the national level (after state bodies take their cut) - BA averages under $4 - pitiful and it makes the sport solely dependent on ASC etc for recurrent funding for any programs at all.

(Mod: Informative.)

Reply #175392 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

Very vaild points HO. With that i believe demise of NBL basketball in melbourne occurred due to foundation clubs removing there relationships with there juinor programs. Those clubs being Nunawading Spectres, Coburg Giants, St Kilda Saints.

As soon as these clubs became Eastside Spectres, North Melbourne Giants, and Westside Saints they lost large juinor basketball association support. Some idiots thought lets merge, first being Spectres and Saints, then laternorth melbourne joined forces with them, to which they folded. NUMBER ONE REASON VIC BBALL IS DEAD IS LOST OF JUNIOR AFFLIATION AND RIVARLIES IN THE STATE OF VICTORIA

Reply #175416 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

DRB is right about the NBL clubs that folded in VIC - bad move disassociating themselves from their junior programs. Melbourne has made some moves to remain involved with the junior Tigers even though they are now run as an idependant business venture.
Coburg juniors have struggled ever since too!

Reply #175422 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

Would be good to get a team back up and running in Hobart and Geelong and like the idea of Darwin - opens up Asian market even more.
Problem remains: Finances!

Reply #175423 | Report this post

New Name  
Years ago

Adelaide can not be comsidered on the safe list of clubs with good finances if Eddy is in fact the real owner.

I think over the next week or two there will be an announcement that Sam Shahin has bought the 36ers.

Reply #175430 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

a perfect example of success and longevity with clubs tied to there junior programs is the WNBL. Bulleen are around for that reason, and look at dandy new, successful good crowds,why? Affliated to the association, same can be said about bendigo. The NBL Expanded to quickly and turned there back on the associations the teams evolved from, hence no interest in the game.

New franchises succfull are regional teams like cairns, townsville, reason being it evolved from the community, and also there is nothing else do do there .. ha ha ...

Reply #175443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Eddy Groves has all of his finances tied up into ABC alone he is a fool and needs to sack his accountants. Seriously you ofload the majority ofyour wealth to trusted family/wife so if anything goes wrong your secure.

Reply #175445 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Does anyone remember the National Baseball league?

If no...hehe then there's your answer

If you do, then its pretty clear what can happen to a competition that is not drawing support (financial or physical).

the NBL had better start rethinking NOW!! because in 3-4 more years we could be back to local comps.

Its the same thing over and over, Free Tv is the core to the league, go to the TV stations ask them what they want..AND DO IT! If they want us to play games at midnite, in the antartic, on a Monday, in the nude...DO IT !!

If we dont get coverage we will not exist.

Reply #175447 | Report this post

Aron  
Years ago

I live in kenya.i have a passion for basketball but,oh,i really have a finnancial problem.i can be a verry good player.please help and you will see a verry good player in future.thanks for this opportunity.Bye.

Reply #185207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754