sween
Years ago

Stacker discusses NBA & NBL on "Outsiders"

A guest on Outsiders Ian Stacker was asked the following:

Australians likely to get NBA interest?

Anstey - Almost immediately following his NBL commitments - Pistons?

Jawai & Ingles - next draft.

Reasons for declining basketball (NBL) attendances?

- The Australian game has followed the NBA format to 12 minute quarters rather than the FIBA 4 x 10. This dilutes the intensity / urgency of the match. It also leaves the national team somewhat poorly prepared for FIBA tournaments.

- The NBL has adopted more of "event" activities whilst the game is running taking the focus away from the on court skill. Staker reasons that this annoys the basketball "purists" to the point where they withdraw their support.

Food for thought Mr Stacker:

Should the NBL focus and stream its players and coaches for national commitments by adopting 4 x 10 min quarters or continue to follow the american 4 x 12 minute format?

My vote - 4 x 10 for a better game.

And, should the "glitz and glam" be regulated against while the game is in progress?

My opinion - If all music and "events" are removed then might see a further reduction in the crowds. Many people go to sporting events now; not all are game literate and many have are easily bored. Its fair to say that the number of players in the NBL that provide the spectacular is low(keeping Hodge in NBL is a must!!).
However I find the "events" that regularly occur during a match passe and boring. I wish that they were could be scaled back a bit. I dont know how you could regulate this though. Maybe we could start by banning the songs "we will rock you" and "eye of the tiger"?

Topic #14906 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

NBL needs some clones of Lampley :)

Reply #175849 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anstey to the Pistons? Now we know why Stacker isn't seriously being considered for the 36ers' job. We've already had one coach on the weed .....

Reply #175857 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"The NBL has adopted more of "event" activities whilst the game is running taking the focus away from the on court skill. Staker reasons that this annoys the basketball "purists" to the point where they withdraw their support."

We'll have ask our Bizzy, our self proclaimed resident basketball purist what he thinks about this.

Reply #175897 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"Anstey to the Pistons? Now we know why Stacker isn't seriously being considered for the 36ers' job. We've already had one coach on the weed ....."

Lol, you might want to check out this Moses, http://hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/14916/.

Looks your the one who deosnt knw what they're talking about. Besides, stacker quite smoking weed after he left Townsville.

Reply #176018 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Nick, I stand corrected where I sit. Unblvbl if this happens. Shows the strength of the Aussie league. Still amazed though that they'd give him a run and yet he likely won't even be in the Boomers for China (allowing of course, for the fact that this relates to training etc).

Reply #176139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754