Simon Says
Years ago

Tomorrow is D day for the Sixers?

Who will it be?

Rob Beverage who Channel 7 news said on Friday night that he turned the Sixer down because he will earn $25,000 more at the Razor hacks. Disgraceful if true.

Scott Ninnis the local coach who most likely would have started as the outsider but now firming as the likely republican nomination for the senate, Opps I mean as head coach.

Or Phil "he who cannot be named" has now allegedly said thanks but no thanks for being overlooked.

Or will it be an unknown from left field.

Topic #14912 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Done.

Reply #175911 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

Ninnis for me!

Reply #175913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Beveridge situation is a farce. I will be writing to the Sixers explaining to them my reasons for not continuing my 12 years of season ticketing. If they are going to persist in cost cutting and putting out a low budget product (including coaching panel), then they can have a low budget crowd because I am done. We deserve better.

PS. Where is the scoreboard ?

Reply #175922 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Have people stopped to consider maybe beveridge is being overpaid at west sydney?

Reply #175924 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

i would have thought that ninnis would have been one of the leading candidates from the start. I feel he deserves a go.

Reply #175925 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

175922, the scoreboard is more the responsibility of the venue owner, not the club owner.

Reply #175930 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The thing i dont understand about this is why would the sixers (Mal and Bauer) go to the media and say hey we offered this guy x amount and he is not prepared to move unless we pay him 125k.

A problem i think is that the previous coaches were on such huge salaries that anyone coming here would potentially think , well you used to pay $250k for this job but now you are offering me less than half that.

Which would be in line with the industry/ league standard. So in reality there is not cut backs or reduced pay the job is simple paying what it should have been for the past few years.

The previous coaches media spin of him choosing not to take the job i dont buy as it simply was not an option for him.

So begs the question why would the media know that Beveridge had been offered the job and was in negotiations?

I simply dont buy the fact that the club would go to the media with information that was not what fans want to hear.

Reply #175932 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Are Beveridge and Ninnis the only contenders here? What happened to the other 100 odd applications that went in. Surely at least one of those would have to be a creditable option.

Reply #175953 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"Anon #175922",

I've you've got enough loyalty to stick with the club for 12 years (including the disaster which was 2006/07) then it seems absurd that you'd cancel your membership because they club aren't offering the coach as much money as you want them to. Come on man, get real.

Reply #175957 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The whole appointment of a coach has been a disaster from the announcement. The hard decision re previous coach should have happened for all concerned.
My concern now is the future of our club with the apparent no money to get the best coach and with the ABC disaster on top of the apparently shortage of funds to replace Chappel weeks before had no choice and general state of NBL has to be a real concern to sixer and NBL faithful .
I agree with Kent brockman that seems strange we have had one of the highest paid coaching group for years and now we want to be one of lowest coaching paying clubs. If right the club has more financial problems than we know. I think Breveridge is the right man for job in my limited knowledge who has been approached and if we cant out bid West Sydney then we do have problems. Whilst scotty not my personal preffered choice as coach . If we are limited
in funding then we could do a lot worse. With his great business reputation and a genuine passion for basketball I thought Mal buying Sixers was great news . But we havent looked very professional over last 2 years or fwd. thinking. Getting Hodge and not re- appointing coach are only positives. Ballinger should be on a very long contract with us .

Reply #175961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The silence is deafening. Should tell you something.

Reply #175962 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about "one of the lowest" - apparently it's just more in accordance with what most coaches are getting paid. e.g., same as Westover, etc.

Reply #175970 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac,
All of the decision/s appear to now be revolving around money. Does this possibly tie in to the ABC situation and the persistent rumours that Eddie is the owner, co-owner or at least major investor in the 36ers.

Reply #175975 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Who said that money has anything to do with it? Beveridge? No
Mal? No
Bauer? No

Did channel 7 intereview Beveridge and get quotes from him?

The only person who has mentioned money being an issue is the out going coach.

Sour Grapes? Yes.

Reply #175978 | Report this post

Not suprised  
Years ago

If people are still believing fairytale Phil they might be suprised when the announcment is made.

Beveridge to get the offer and 36ers to move ahead in leaps and bounds.

Reply #175980 | Report this post

Dog  
Years ago

Scoreboard e.t.c. maybe the venue owners responsibility Isaac, but Mal was the one who's signature was on the newsletter sent to me at the start of the season promising it would be done by December, along with putting the 36ers back on top.
Simple rule in business  Don't make promises your body can't keep. :)

Reply #175991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont mind the scoreboard not being in (i would rather it be in) but i just would have appreciated that they communicated to their supporters that there was a delay.

Reply #175995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope your right.

Reply #175997 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I've also been disappointed at the no new scoring cube etc as promised in the newsletter at the start of the season.

I can accept there are delays especially with shipping and things arriving from overseas.

I just would have appreciated more communication from the club to inform us that there are going to be delays and apoligise.

Reply #176034 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Bring on E day? :)

Reply #176077 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Kent Brockman or do we call you ill informed or just Phil hater.Firstly on 7 he said nothing wasnt interviewed or quoted so he never mentioned money.so how is that sour grapes?Goorigan,Black,Westover,Lemanis,Heal and Beveridge along with there assistants get paid more than our coaches but we have been fed how great our program is.How much money Mal is spending on it how much the coaches get etc well it aint true and now where finding out.Lets see if the new coach comes in how many great players we get with all the suppossed money we are saving on letting the high paid previous coaches go with all this new wealth why wouldnt Beveridge come?oops getting more somewhere else sorry Kent doesnt add up.

Reply #176083 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lets see if the new coach comes in how many great players we get with all the suppossed money we are saving...
Then you post about how we're grabbing Dragons' MVP from them. That's a start!

Reply #176153 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Coach doesnt come under the salary cap so saving on the coach doesnt necessarily mean more great players.

Reply #176180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forget the salary cap, think about the owner's wallet - they don't always have unlimited money.

Reply #176200 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Jokker my question was related to no one having a direct quote from Beveridge or anyone from the sixers staff saying that he has turned down the job due to money.

Until that happens it is purely media speculation.

Also as far as coaches are concerned it was widely known that the former staff where the highest paid duo in the league. So your comment about other being paid more is a little off.

Also can you explain what you mean by "Firstly on 7 he said nothing wasnt interviewed or quoted so he never mentioned money"

I have been told that the former coach has been telling people that he is not prepared to go round again with a lower salary and budget cuts to the team. (Completely fine if he perceives his value at a certain figure).

If a salary was more in line with those you listed above from the get go then there would not be the feeling of budget cuts.

Reply #176214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754