Smart E Pants
Years ago

Ninnis New 36ers coach

Just confirmed on Nova. Scotty gets his chance.

Topic #14933 | Report this topic

Awesome news for Adelaide, congrats Scott!

Reply #176222 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Good news indeed. Any word on the rest of the Coaching staff?

Reply #176223 | Report this post

Smart E Pants  
Years ago

Just a few words at the end of the news break. I guess we will find out the details soon.

Reply #176225 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Nova? Now thats hardly confirmation!

Reply #176227 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

They were my thoughts exactly. Can't find anything on any other website including the Sixers website (I know that's not saying much!)...

Reply #176229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe that there has been an official announcement by the club as to its selection for the coaching position.

May just be confirmed that Nova thinks it's going to be Ninnis?

Reply #176230 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Cat 15 its on all station news bulletins. Don't like it get over it! Congrats to Scott.

Reply #176231 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

I actually like the appointment. In fact I'm wrapped.
I just have difficulty believing a radio station. The fact that it's on all stations only tells me they can copy each other!

I will wait to celebrate until I hear it officially, i.e. from KG crying over the loss of his bestest buddy in the world Phil :)

Reply #176233 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

If this is correct  congratulations to Scottie, he will do a good job.

He was really the only person for the job. Its time everyone who support the Sixers to show him your support and become unified in the fight to get back to the top. We have to now move forward and concentrate on what we need to do to be competitive again.

Hopefully he has a few plans up his sleave  plan A would be to sign Ballenger, Hodge and Ng however plan B and C should be in place and ready to go just in case plan A doesn't work out.

Do the Sixers proud Scottie  congratulations.

Reply #176234 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Volda (still feels weird typing that) would have to get rid of the whole team and play ABA players for KG to say something negative about him

Reply #176236 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll believe it when it becomes official. But I like the deal and Scott will do a great job. I approve. Congratulations.

Let's sign Balls, Hodge & Ng next.

Reply #176237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good for him and the team, seemed the logical person a long time ago but nice to see the club have some process and not just rush to get someone.

Reply #176238 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I know he will do better than previous man by pure effort and caring but poss. all those getting excited about who are poss. in know more than me give me reasons why scotty will do a good job and how a untried and not even successful ass. coach will entice plyrs. etc to our club espec. if financially strapped. this is not knocking Scotty just like some views from those who rate Scotty so highly

Reply #176239 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was fiveaa. No official announcement. But players were told it's Ninnis.
Ch.10 mentioned , last nite, that Mal is away on biz. Returns on thursday to make the announcement of Ninnis.

Reply #176240 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think this is a great decision, and hopefully scotts conection with the academy will mean we wont lose any other good talents interstate and hopefully over the next few years he can lure guys like Holmes, Kersten, Forman and Ingles back.
Exciting times ahead!

Reply #176241 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

AdelaideNow - Scott Ninnis appointed coach of Adelaide 36ers NBL team

Ninnis on Friday formally will be unveiled as Phil Smyth's successor at the NBL club.

He has approached Richard Hill to act as his lead assistant.

No-one at the club would confirm the appointments today, owner Mal Hemmerling in Perth until late tomorrow on business.

But Ninnis, 42, given the job on Sunday, has already been speaking with players in regards to the 2008-09 Hummer Championship.

Reply #176242 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

AdelaideNow Scott Ninnis appointed coach of Adelaide 36ers NBL team

Ninnis on Friday formally will be unveiled as Phil S's successor at the NBL club.

He has approached Richard Hill to act as his lead assistant.

No-one at the club would confirm the appointments today, owner Mal Hemmerling in Perth until late tomorrow on business.

But Ninnis, 42, given the job on Sunday, has already been speaking with players in regards to the 2008-09 Hummer Championship.

Damn u Phil

Reply #176243 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Boti confirms it

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23317983-12428,00.html

Reply #176244 | Report this post

Camel Humps  
Years ago

Great appointment, few of my buddies have already called to say we should get season tickets again.

As i said in another thread earlier today Hill as an assistant is great, knows a lot of players in the league and brings an older head.
I would expect Schuller to join them as well. they would have all bases covered and have all worked together before.

Next big question is what players is scott already talking to?
Jacob must be one as said in other threads? what about Schensher?

This is the first time in a fair while i have actually been excited about the Sixers again.

Great appointment, all the best lads!

Reply #176249 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

If Boti says it is so, then it is so!!
I am officially wrapped and ready to get on board!
I look forward to a new direction, a team that plays D and a coach who actually has and uses a whiteboard at timeouts. BRING IT ON!

Reply #176254 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Confirmed now on Adelaidenow as quoted by some of you above.

This is a great step in the right direction. I am pleased with the appointment.

I am now one step closer to considering re-newing my season ticket.

Now it'll be the playing roster that will decide if I re-new or not.

I hope to see Hodge, Balls and Ng back. Bring on Marcus Ng too if you want.

Reply #176255 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

How about this for a thought...with Ninnis appointed and Schueller potentially an assistant or in some sort of role and with Ninnis and Paul Bell's friendship, will we see the following players line up over the next couple of years...
Dusty Rychart (Brisbane are struggling financially, may be able to get his contract bought out!)
Joe Ingles- will Joe return after seeing out his final year of his contract?
Jacob Holmes- Already talks about him returning
Schenscher- One of Paul and Richard Hill's clients..
Cattalini- Bound to return back to Adelaide now
Mee- See above!
Throw in Maher, Davidson, Ballinger, and maybe Cooper and that's not a bad team...

Reply #176256 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

CAP - points and money!!!!!!

Reply #176258 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Not important! We get them all reassessed as they are past players and some are getting old!!! ;)

Reply #176262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat has another 2 years, Darnell another 1.

Reply #176264 | Report this post

Ryan Kersten is now a must

Reply #176267 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Finally, some good news for the franchise! Only time in 12 years I was contemplating ditching the season tickets.

Reply #176270 | Report this post

Heard it Before.  
Years ago

If Scheuller is so close to these guys, why is Bearbasketball no longer linked to the MVP website? Didn't everyone get on this site at the start of last season and talk the same stuff as you are now? How long before everyone starts bagging Scott when things do not go well? And congradulations to Scott for the appointment, well deserved and done his apprenticeship and ready for the step up!

Reply #176271 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't actually think Bear basketball is officially running at the moment, as Justin now runs junior programs directly through the Rockets.

Reply #176275 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

Good on ya Scott get us back into the finals and get main players signed quickly,balls and hodge will love scott coaching sixes,keep the core of the group and i am sure we will play better,and win more games.

Reply #176277 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Im pretty happy about this, I just hope that he is given the cash and support form the club to do the job. The last coach wasnt helped and it would be a huge disapointment to see ninnis's first season ruined by management.

I this hes a good choice for Balls and Hodge to want to stay aswell.

Hope he can prove the bastards he shoulda been the first choice not the third

Reply #176279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TEN NEWS Report on Ninnis up next.

Reply #176287 | Report this post

sixers09  
Years ago

Sensational appointment to support Scott, Go you good thing and point me to the ticket counter

Reply #176289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starts Friday, "has the task of bringing home SA locals such as Holmes and Joe Ingles."

Would be a pretty good side...

C Mottram/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dodman
F Holmes/Ng
G Ingles/Maher
G Import/Davidson

Reply #176291 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

im liking richard as possible assistant as well, posted that couple months back i rekon he provides a good link to local league to nbl showing a path for both players and coaches

Reply #176295 | Report this post

C Luke (8) / Cooper(7) Sutton
PF Ballinger(10)/ Dodman(1) Burdon
SF Hodge (10)/ Holmes(8) M Ng
SG Ingles (8) / Ng (5)
PG Davision (7) / Maher (5)

Now im not sure on how many points we are allowed but that = 69. of course thats just me giving a bit of a guess at what people would be rated.

The line up includes 6 home grown South Aussies along with the best import duo going around.

thats one very good looking team.

One can dream

Reply #176301 | Report this post

Tell him he´s dreamin.

Reply #176308 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Ingles is under contract, and i doubt Holmes would come off the bench, so leave ingles out and start Holmes at SF move Hodge to SG and that would be a great line up if they could acheieve it.
I think they should also look at Brad Hill and Ryan Kersten

Reply #176316 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'm not a big one for profanity, but this is the best *@#$&@( news I've heard in a long time. Fantastic for South Australian basketball.

Scott - all the best. We'll catch up sometime for a chat and drink. I'm on board.

Reply #176317 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i dont care who coaches or if we sigh jacob holmes, just leave enough money to sigh hodge if he decides he wants back.

Reply #176323 | Report this post

Excellent news for South Australian basketball . Just go for it Ninnis !!

Reply #176333 | Report this post

dont know  
Years ago

Dragons dont want Holmes so we should get him they offered him low money.His point ranking has dropped from an 8 to a 6 and he is no longer on the Australian team so if he moved to improve that didnt work.He went for money so if we offer more than the Dragons he is back here.Simple really.

Reply #176334 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Really good News and Congratulations to Scotty Ninnis. This coaching unit will be highly motivated , thoughtful , thorough and passionate .
It is nice to say those words again .

Just looking forward to some freshness , enthusiasm and unpredictability in the upcoming season .

Best of luck Coaching Crew .

Reply #176336 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Now all I need is for Adelaide to play Perth in the Darwin game.

Reply #176353 | Report this post

Dog  
Years ago

Would love to see Richard Hill as assistant.
Can't wait for him to bring along his inspirational time out talks... Classic comments like `Everything I told you to do in the last timeout, you did the exact @#?!ing opposite!'

Reply #176362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A points rating drop for Holmes would be very useful - getting a near double-double local for 6 points would be a steal (depending on how much the points scale changes). I'd say he has improved - fouls and turnovers down, percentages from the field are better and rebounding this season was a career best 9.5 RPG. Give him a few more shots per game and his scoring average should rise again.

Reply #176363 | Report this post

Hoops49  
Years ago

Congratulations Scotty.

Reply #176372 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Congratulations to Scott, let's hope we have a great future with him at the helm.

My only concern is did we get the right man for the job, or just the man that we could afford? If we had a reduced budget for a coach, will we have a reduced budget for the team?

That is not a knock on Ninny just a small concern I have. Let's hope it is unfounded and Ninny leads us to a title next season.

Reply #176374 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Ditto to Nutwork.

Reply #176418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Dana - get on board.

Get over the fact that your man is no longer there.

Reply #176423 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I am on Board *fingers crossed*
Ditto is on board with his fingers crossed too.

Reply #176426 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Doh!!! Ditto = Nutwork. Ooops... ;)

Reply #176428 | Report this post

jnx  
Years ago

Dana/Nutwork, I would think that collectively Ninnis would have better credentials than Smyth when he came into the role as a coach and player at all levels of the game.

I think the 6ers are just fortunate to be in the position to get someone like Ninnis services, for reportedly a bargain price, because he is an Adelaide boy.

It still doesn't make sense to me why Ninnis wasn't offered to role in the first place.

I guess they could have gone for a proven NBL head coach but aren't most of the proven head coaches going around just recycled from previous failures?

Reply #176429 | Report this post

jnx  
Years ago

Dana/Nutwork, I would think that collectively Ninnis would have better credentials than Smy---the when he came into the role as a coach and player at all levels of the game.

I think the 6ers are just fortunate to be in the position to get someone like Ninnis services, for reportedly a bargain price, because he is an Adelaide boy.

It still doesn't make sense to me why Ninnis wasn't offered to role in the first place.

I guess they could have gone for a proven NBL head coach but aren't most of the proven head coaches going around just recycled from previous failures?

Reply #176430 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

jnx...there are 3 paragraphs in Nutwork's post, not just one.

Reply #176431 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What's the criteria for a 'proven NBL coach' that has credentials that aren't disregarded if they have some previous failures?
I'd be surprised if there are any NBL experienced coaches that haven't had both good and bad seasons. I guess the chronology is more important to some than others.

Reply #176433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, with the roster budget, I guess we'll just have to see what Mal allocates.

Reply #176434 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Bring Back Dusty!!! ;)

Reply #176436 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

According to a source close to Beveridge, he was never made a offer. Source reputation: "Take the comment with a grain of salt"

Reply #176438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Try for Ballinger first. Then if you can't get him, then try to steal Dusty before Groves signs his contract.

Reply #176449 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I'd love to have Dusty & Ballinger. They certainly helped my 'fantasy league'.

Reply #176460 | Report this post

From what i understand this could be a possibility. Both becoming Aussies in the next 12 months. Also believe that Brisbane options on contracts will be reviewed.

I believe Ballinger is all but re signed and with Dusty's obvious connection to Adelaide could make for a very strong line up with effectively 4 imports on the team.

Possibly...

1. Import PG / Davidson
2. Hodge / Maher
3. Holmes / Tovey
4. Rychart / Cooper
5. Ballinger / Mottram

Not sure about points though, but could win the championship next year

Reply #176461 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Dana, do I detect a double meaning there???

; )

Reply #176463 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

jnx, this statement is wrong: "Ninnis would have better credentials than Smy---the when he came into the role as a coach and player at all levels of the game."

Ninnis certainly does have better coaching credentials than Phil did but as a player Phil was one of the best Australia ever produced. Check out his international record.

I am not knocking Scott, I hope he brings lots of success to Adelaide.

Reply #176464 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

If only.... ;)

Reply #176472 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

How are you coping with this announcement EC?

Reply #176477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754