Isaac
Years ago

Kings ownership news & Goorj loves BJ

To save a largely SA-oriented audience having to sit through two Sydney Kings topics, I've combined them to one.

In Part I comes the news that past owner Mike Wrublewski has hooked up with a few others (another ex-Kings owner, the guy who runs a dog food website, and another sponsor) to try and nab the majority of the ownership from current owner Tim Johnston (of Firepower infamy).

Their offer comes with one specific requirement - that Brian Goorjian be retained. If Johnston can't organise that, the deal fails.

Saviour for the Kings

In Part II, we learn how much Goorjian loves BJ Carter. You know, that kid at the end of the Kings bench. How much does he love him?

"I want to get this right," Goorjian said. "In my time in coaching, 22 years of players ... no one better. I don't say that about anyone."
(Emphasis added.)

If you think you can stomach the article, take a look: BJ Carter: the skinny little kid whom Goorjian rates above all others

Topic #14945 | Report this topic

Hoops 13  
Years ago

He loves him because he cut him, and the kid took it on the chin?

Reply #176386 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Goorj is out of his mind. BJ is so one dimensional he belongs in an art gallery.

Reply #176387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone loves a good BJ!

Reply #176388 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I'll throw this out there. I think that BJ Carter would be a good replacement for Davidson when he gets to old to play. No mistake, I'm not saying he is a good replacement now but when we need the next point guard, I would love to see them go after him.

Reply #176391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

useless player

Reply #176394 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Now we know who will be the starting 2 guard in Beijing

Reply #176396 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

Kent Starting 2 Guard. I know you were being sarcastic but when has BJ ever played the 2 spot

Reply #176398 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

A good story of persistance.

Good luck to him I say.

Reply #176400 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

On the issue of Kings ownership: Can Goorj be retained? If he can, maybe this opens the Dragon up to Stacker, which as a Dragons fan, I think I'd prefer at this point in time.

The question must also be asked "WHY would you want to keep him?". Everyone knows the "Goorj bankrupts every club" theories..

Reply #176405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tangles, BJ has played as a shooter this year (and often in the past too). They already had Kendall and Draper as PGs this season.

Reply #176407 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

See what you mean Tangles but i think of Carter as a spot up shooter/small three rather than a PG if that is what you mean?

Reply #176410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All jokes aside, you don't get - in the NBL or pro sports in general - many absolutely club loyal/dedicated players anymore. Not mentioned in the article, when BJ was axed from the Kings, he was offered a spot on the Razorbacks and refused, instead going back to being training fodder with the Kings, determined to earn his way back into that team.

Reply #176421 | Report this post

Jason Hanke  
Years ago

kad,

You said - "The question must also be asked "WHY would you want to keep him?". Everyone knows the "Goorj bankrupts every club" theories.."

I didnt know that Goorijan was responsible for selling season tickets, going out and securing sponsorship, competantly managing cash flow for the club, planning and placing a cost effective advertising program, deciding what long term assets to invest in (players, infrastructure) and which ones to divest, building a competant CRM system that regularly communicates with customers, following up debtors, implementing community development programs, managing the salary cap, minimising the effects of taxation....you know, all the non basketball things that actually have MORE of a direct impact on a business than someone's coacheing style.

Have you ever worked in a professional sporting organisation? The key is to make the business product robust enough so that the on court success is not as "impactful". That's one of the biggest reasons the AFL is so far ahead of the NBL - they run their clubs like a business to minimise the effects on the bottom line of their teams performance.

Reply #176427 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You lost me at 'impactful'.

I don't like the way his teams play, but you cannot knock his success. He is the Midas of the NBL (pity it doesn't translate to the Boomers).

Reply #176444 | Report this post

Jason Hanke  
Years ago

Which means you got at least 80% through the post then...long enough to get my point I would have thought.

You're right - it doesnt translate to the Boomers and he shouldnt be the Head Coach of the National Team. His systems are excellent for the NBL but not international basketball.

BA should go out and get a high profile European coach - David Blatt (Efes Pilsen, Russian National Team), Etorre Mesina (CSKA Moscow) or Zelimir Obradavic (Panathanoikos, has won a World Champs and 3 Eurolegues).

Reply #176448 | Report this post

boz_novocastrian  
Years ago

mike w would be good as he has the maketing nous that the current crop of owners do not have

Reply #176481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try telling Brad Davidson how good a bloke BJ is. He certainly didn't think so after BJ stired him up when we thrashed the kings.

Reply #176525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great game that was...

Reply #176535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt everyone love a BJ????

Reply #176539 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Didn't get a "bite" the first time, Anonymous?

Reply #176542 | Report this post

frog  
Years ago

I thought the same thing when I saw the title, just didn't think it was worth the energy to comment on it.

Reply #176719 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754