Kenny Smyth
Years ago

Expectations Of Scott Ninnis

Adelaide fans have always had an expectation of their team, coaches and players. They have the finger loaded and are ready to point it if the team is not performing. Ninnis has the cream of the 9th placed crop left to work on plus a lot of time to recruit, develop and per-season training. Hodge was the spanner in the top four works this year so Ninnis's recruitment ability will be questioned very early.

So what are the expectations of Scott Ninnis Head Coach, if he is on a 3 year contract what do the fan expect? Does he go backward to go forward, how would the fans react to that? Is it championship in the first year or would they be patient and want it in 3. Do they just expect improvement next year from 9th to 8th, is that enough to see him with support?

Personally I don't think he has the pulling power to get the good interstate recruit but he is able to recruit the good South Australian. I hope he recruits the next Rookie of the Year but it will have to be a South Aussie. I think the 36ers will be about the same for the next few years around the 6 to 12 mark. My opinion only.

Topic #14951 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny, Scotty got Ingles and Holmes to the Dragons, i think he has some useful pulling power.

Reply #176471 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Unfortunately the poor man will be both damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, depending on who posts.

Reply #176473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana... that's life.

Reply #176475 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd be happy to see effort (on court and off), some attention to the defensive end, and top six.

Bringing back Holmes would be a good step if they can achieve that. Gives them a SF (or PF if Ballinger doesn't stay) without using an import position which they weren't able to do in the season just been. Any saving WRT the points cap will be crucial if Ballinger stays and they look to add an import during the season.

Reply #176492 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

"I'd be happy to see effort (on court and off), some attention to the defensive end, and top six."

Exactly !

Reply #176552 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Effort for 48minutes is what ive been used to in the past and disliked most about the previous coach's style towards the end of his tenure.

Oh and if the team isn't performing, rip into them during a timeout!

Reply #176553 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

year 1..finals
year 2..Gf appearance
year 3.. Championship.

pretty straight forward.
:)

Reply #176563 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

i don't think he will have much of a problem with getting any young prospects from interstate, with players like jingles showing him the much deserved love and appreciation, i'm sure that other young guys will take to him, and be willing to give him a shot

Reply #176574 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

The 36ers combination after Hodge arrived were a top four team. If that team is retained by Scotty and/or enhanced with Holmes for Dench and another import when Ballinger becomes an Aussie, anything less than a top four finish will be unacceptable in my opinion.

A friend of mine, who was a corporate box owner (12 people each game) then a season ticketholder (4 people) since the inception of the Powerhouse/Dome, has said that he will let his season ticket lapse. The jury is still out with me. The four tickets that I have held since 1985 could be up for grabs. I am a P S disciple, but have given unerring support to all 36er coaches and players but don't know if I can offer the same support to Scott.

Reply #176659 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #176661 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I was not a fan of Scott as a player, both at NBL and what was the State Bank League. My son played at South far a while and I followed South at the time. I found it a bit unnerving for a grown man to have his father keep selective stats for every game he played. He is also an inexperienced coach and any successes appeared to have been acquired without salary cap or player points constraints.

I have followed the argument that P S was inexperienced when he first took over the 36ers job but the other half of the team Steve Breheny was not. P S also had a stellar NBL and National team career and was a student of the game who adapted the best from coaches he played under to provide an entertaining and successfull program. Scott Ninnis was a good player in the open court but did not like to do much else. He has only had limited exposure outside the NBL/ABL. If Rupert Sapwell's advice was not accepted at Adelaide, why is he any different to Scott. Therefore his experince at Adelaide would have to be discounted. Townsville's results do not support any extraordinary skill for the coaching staff. As for the South Dragons no more need be said.

I fear that we may return to the Claxton, Shipway era and I don't think I could afford that either fiancially or emtionally. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Reply #176678 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Ahhhhhhh fairly sure that Ninnis had no real coaching job at Dragons thanks to Heal and others, he basically looked after the younger guys and helped mold them into better players, oh and not to mention, last year they made finals with him, this year they missed out without him

Reply #176728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure Ninnis has coaching ability and just because Dragons and Townsivlle failed doesn't mean that it's Ninnis who was the problem. He doesn't have the say of the head coach and he seems ready for a head coaching job. Has support of players, loves Adelaide, knows Adelaide's structure and is a great man. He turned down a Lightning top job because of the way Lucas was sacked and that is after Ninnis got contraversially dumped.

A man who deserves full support. Let's see what he can do in his first season at the top for the Sixers :D

Reply #176733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on people. Scotty is one of the only people who could do the job needed. The job is not win championships at the moment, unless you want a quick fix which is what P S did. Scotty in my opinion has a rebuilding job, one which starts with attracting young talent to the 36ers. He knows the bank SA league very well and who knows we might actually see some of the academy players come through.

He has the same Job Neal Craig had with the Crows after Gary Ayres left as in he has a squad with talent enough to get him through his first 3 years but if he doesn't focus on development were once again going to win a couple of titles but then fall into the back ground while with development of a new program with fresh legs we could have a new core group of young talent to get us through the next 6 years and beyond with the possibility of more titles.

Big picture here people 6 - 10 years of finals and maybe titles if the jobs done right or quick fix with 3-4 years of finals but then nothing...

Reply #176742 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Baka, you're on the money with your post about Scott Ninny and Phil Smyt comparisons. Phil captained the Boomers, and modelled his coaching style on Lindsay Gaze etc. He is 'The General'. Who is Scott Ninny? Everyone says the young guys love him, and will want to play for him (Just like Phils reported repuatation as the coach everyone wants to play for). It's all hearsay, and smacks of PR bullshit.

Now we will see the truth. Can Scotty develop his own players, with his own style. Can he motivate and shuffle the players in the heat of battle with Goorj to win?

All I know is he is enthusiastic, and he was fortunate to be a team player in quite a few championship teams, but is he a leader? Was he Mal's first choice? Did he present so well that he inspired management to pick him over all other applicants?

I don't know the guys, and I do hope that the selection process has given us a new era of success, but I fear that it will be by fluke or cheapness rather than good judgement if we succeed, because he obviously didn't win the presentation to the club, or they would've offered him the job first.

And whilst I am as parochial as the next guy, it really pisses me off when I hear that the local talent should be given preference over imported talent. How insular is that. It is only by venturing beyond your own boundaries that you learn new skills and develop. I want our guys to be the best, so let them go elsewhere to bring back a wider view instead of this narrow vision stuff that we parochials tend to gravitate towards. Grow up and leave the nest folks, then your wings grow stronger and you can all fly higher an further.

PS Sorry for the essay!!

Reply #176756 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754