Isaac
Years ago

Carrie Graf is WNBL Coach of the Year

The Australian Defence Force Women's National Basketball League (WNBL) is pleased to announce Canberra Capitals head coach Carrie Graf as the Coach of the Year for the 2007/08 season.

It makes it back-to-back Coach of the Year awards for Graf who received the honour for the first time last season.

The four-time WNBL championship winning coach led the Capitals to third place at the conclusion of the regular season with a 17-7 win-loss record, which included eight straight wins to start 2008.

Bit rough on Valk, or would her chances have been impacted by having a fairly stacked roster?

Topic #14979 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

What an absolute joke! The WNBL and BA think Graf is the be all and end all of Basketball in Australia. No guesses who will get the Opals job when Jan Stirling retires. As the statement says the Capitals finished THIRD at the end of the regular season. At the least Vicki should have been selected given the circumstances when she took over the team and the fact that the Lightning are in the Grand Final. As a second choice it should have been Karen Dalton, again, given the fact that the Flames may be in financial trouble and could fold - more turmoil for Karen to deal with.
As I said at the start the selection of Graf is an absolute joke and brings the whole process in to disrepute!!!!
I have not written (because it would be illegal) what I and a lot of people in Australian basketball (outside Sydney (BA/WNBL) and Canberra) think of Carrie Graf.

Reply #176820 | Report this post

Easter Bunny  
Years ago

Well said. Seems this award is given to help justifying giving Graf the Aussie job. Just hope Jan can get gold this Olympics so the pressure is turned up on Graf when she gets the job.

Reply #176827 | Report this post

Get on Board  
Years ago

Reply #176832 | Report this post

Get on Board  
Years ago

How could you give it to Valk!

She walked into a team with the bet roster in the league by far so she should have got them to the G/F.

I reckon my Grandmother would have got them to the G/F.

Reply #176833 | Report this post

;';  
Years ago

Everyone except Lucas

Reply #176845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dale Waters, did a great job with a minimal roster and a lot of young talent.

Reply #176854 | Report this post

hmmm  
Years ago

Young talent?
Whilst I completely agree he did a great job, most of his "young talent" saw minimal or no time.

Flanagan
Ryan
McInerney
Hammonds
Brogan

Not a really young member of the starting group (Hammonds about 25?).
Main backups included
Anderson
Downie
Perrera

Thus 7 of the first 8 (bar Perrera) you'd probably call veterans.

Reply #176863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair comment,

However, when you think of the Rangers of past and with a start like they had, and with limited bench strength, Downie, Prerra, Anderson ( to an extent - minutes played with impact)I feel Waters and staff have been very good in the second half of the season with an ordinary roster.

O'Hea, McLeod and others would have made a huge difference yet he was one game ( 11 points ) away from the GF.

Not bad

Reply #176891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrower with Bendigo is unlucky too I feel. Not many teams would come into national comp and compete well. I wouldn't say he had the best roster either, lots of very young and inexperienced (at WNBL level) players. I feel there are others much more derserving this season.

Reply #176951 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754