knowledge is power
Years ago

Bullets Players Next in Brisbane cuts

It seems that the Brisbane saga is not stopping with Joey Wright.
Strong rumor is that player salaries and contracts are all to be negotiated from scratch. Not sure how this can happen but it is what is about to occur.

For Adelaide fans one D.Rychart is on this list, with him becoming an Aussie this year could be an option for him to go home.

Sam McKinnon may also be on the Dragons shopping list i believe.

Other players starting to talk to the Blaze, Townsville and Cairns.

Interesting times in Qld!

watch this space.

Topic #15002 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Back page of todays paper up here has massive bold headline
"Bullets dead in a week"

According to the report if Eddy cant offload the team this week they will colapse. Apparently he has a buyer lined up last week but the deal fell through at the last minute.

Also Eddy apparently wasnt aware that JVG had told Joey Wright that he was having a massive paycut. Eddy and Joey to have a meeting on Tuesday to "talk about the future"

Reply #177125 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Yeah conflicting reports!

"Mr Groves also denied reports that he was trying to sell his basketball team, the Brisbane Bullets.
The Sunday Mail newspaper reported Mr Groves tried to sell the club last week, but the deal fell through."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23344984-29277,00.html

Reply #177138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has probably paid them so much in recent years that the fall back down to reality is going to be quite painful.

Reply #177139 | Report this post

Trilogy  
Years ago

Wonder if buying that championship was worth it? Would the players have a slight sense that they 'cheated' the NBL by clearly paying a heap of players unrealistic salaries??

Karma is a MOFO

Reply #177147 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

At least Ebi Ere will be safe there - I hear he's using this new computer based system called "Basketball Intelligym" to improve his shot selection and stuff.

(Mod: Only going to be funny to those who read the other thread!)

Reply #177153 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This is disgusting news and I hope the Bullets can be saved. They have been around forever and I'd love them to stay.

Many of the Bullet players are welcome to join the 36ers if they have to move on. CJ is more than welcome. Dusty can return. Sam-Mac is welcome. Ebi Ere is definitely welcome.

Reply #177160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Groves owns the basketball stadium in Adelaide and is understood to have a significant interest in the 36ers, so the South Australian franchise might also be under pressure."

Mal will need to sell his shares in the club.
Forget about Dusty etc and start thinking about having a team in 08/09.
If they are lucky enough to make it to 08/09 next problem will be what stadium the sixers are going to at next season.

Reply #177172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone else will buy team or dome. no need to be so dramatic

Reply #177176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a NBL team its a great investment, nearly every team going broke (Wildcats losing huge amounts even after selling out every home game)
I bet they are lining up.

Reply #177179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets have a look at the league. Its in great shape.

Adelaide - losing money, new owner required
Brisbane - losing (Lots) money , new owner required
Cairns - losing money - owners cashed up
Gold Coast losing money, but sound position (I think)
Tigers - Making Money - WOW
Breakers - losing (lots) money - very rich owner
Wildcats - losing (lots)money - very rich owner
Slingers - losing (lots)money - who knows for sure?
Dragons - losing (lots)money - very rich owner, but for how long ?
Kings - losing (lots) money - new owner required
Crocs - losing money (not much) owners OK
R/backs - losing Lots) money - mickey mouse operation
Hawks - losing (Lots) money - here next season but only just.

Yes league is going places. If you have bucket loads of money you want to lose, buy a basketball team

Reply #177180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are options. will always be someone wholl give it a shot. 36ers will stay.

Reply #177181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other thing to note is that in the majority Australian sports teams lose money.

Even in the AFL the only clubs that make money are those outside of Melbourne and some of them are barely in the black.

In the A-League every team loses millions every year but they're propped up by Lowry, the FFA and the Australian Government.

NRL teams 50/50 some make small profits some lose a lot of money, Netball will suffer the same fate and rely on TV NZ money and Government funding to operate.

Yes it's frustrating that the NBL is suffering but it happens in every league. Shame the NBL/BA don't have the funds the other sporting leagues have.

Reply #177184 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There will be rich people with a passion for the sport and the club that will buy an NBL club. They won't be doing it expecting to make lots of money out of it but just to get a new toy, just like their yachts, their jets, their Ferraris, their multi million dollar mansions. When you have that much money, you can afford to splurge.

Reply #177188 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

The crocs make money, but apart from that thats probably all correct.

The league is stuffed and thats what happens when people cheat the cap. Now the problem is all the players who were getting paid more then they were worth are going to leave the league rather then taking huge salary cuts( i assume). Its bad of me but i kind of hope Brisbane go bust, a little bit of karma.

Reply #177231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The crocs make money"

They certainly did up until a couple of years ago. I stand corrected but I pretty sure they have not made a profit the last two years. Crowds are down. The Cowboys have hurt the Crocs now that they are successful.

Reply #177233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Rychart, Ballinger + an Import in Adelaide :D

Reply #177234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Rychart/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dodman
F Holmes/???
G Import/Ng
G Davidson/Maher

That would be pretty good..

Reply #177235 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Would love Dusty to come back....but ain't no centre #177235?

Reply #177239 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Would Adelaide be able to afford Ballinger, Dusty, and an Import?

#177180 So, all the teams except for the Tigers are losing lots of money. Where did you get this information from? If this were true we wouldn't have a league.
All the owners of the clubs would be conducting assessments to see if the day to day running of the club was financially viable. If not, all clubs would be on the market for sale.

Reply #177255 | Report this post

God Fearing  
Years ago

Dont be so sure that if the Dome was sold that it would still be used as a Bball venue.

My understanding of the situation is that this is very bad timing for Bball in Adelaide as two organizations are already looking for new acquisitions.

With the stage they use for their "congregations" taking up most of 2 out of 3 courts at the Dome and taking 2-3 days to both bump in and out, I am worried the place will go the same way as Apollo.

Thats the 1st lot. Next is;

Anyone ever go past the entertainment ctr regularly and see the place packed out with heaps of family's? Dad always in a suit, carrying a briefcase; mom and kids always in Sundays best? The hire fee they pay, combined with the money these events "turnover" make a stadium that is available and 5 mins from the current location very attractive.

If the NBL can come out the other side of this awful situation we may well be playing at the entertainment ctr.... or worse.. if we can get a team on court.

The old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" is obviously not known to the NBL board.

Reply #177260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sturty - how is that necessarily true? A club can be losing money and still be viable if the owner is comfortable with the losses.

Reply #177389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Sydney, the majority of NRL clubs lose money. They're backed though by huge cash flow through their Leagues Clubs, pokies mostly. The Swans lose a bomb, and the AFL in general is best backed by the huge tv deals - will tip $1billion next time with the inclusion of a 2nd Sydney team expected to boost tv revenue by 20% at least. Sydney FC lost, I think, something like $5-7million last year. Everyone knows the Kings lose a bomb, about $1mill in 2007. Australian Rugby (Union) is virtually broke. Pro sports aren't the greatest investment in Australia. You absolutely have to be prepared to lose money.

Reply #177413 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754