History Buff
Years ago

Free Throw Rule Change

Wondering if any of the history buff's out there can tell me what year the NBL changed the free throw rule from the one and one to the now 2/3 shots.

Early 90's from memory but after exact year/season.

Topic #1501 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

Can't be sure but i reckon 91-92 season

Reply #17111 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I think it was about 95/96. Not sure , trying to find out but I am pretty sure that it wasn't before 95.

Reply #17112 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

can someone fill me in on this rule change. i reakon i was to young to realise it, so im completely lost in this topic

Reply #17115 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

When I first started playing back in the day (92ish),, there was the 1-and-1 rule, but not many people understood it!

Essentially, Take Luck, instead of the 2 shots that you have now when you go into the foul bonus, you had a single foul shot. If you got it in, then you could have a second. If you missed, play continued. Thus, 1 shot made and you get another (1-and-1).

They had two shots in when I joined district, around 95.

Reply #17116 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Plus you also had the choice of not taking the shots but in bounding the ball from the half court.

This used to stop teams fouling every possesion in the last few seconds to put players on the line.

Reply #17122 | Report this post

History Buff  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it was before 95.

Another question while were all here, should they bring it back in?

Reply #17141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally there is nothing more annoying then watching the losing team deliberately foul to stop the clock and put their opposition to the foul line.

By giving the offence the option of taking the ball from the sideline (even if it was only in the last 2 mins of the game or each quarter) then those teams would have to find another way to come from behind to win a game. Surely the team that's done the work during the game to get ahead deserves to keep that lead from teams deliberately breaking the rules to their own advantage.

Reply #17143 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

cheers Libertine

Reply #17144 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I would love to see the rule come back in. It rewards a team that shoots well from the foul line.

Reply #17146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah it still goes in college games in the states, my friend just went on the sasi tour and she said it was funny cos they werent used to it!

Reply #17150 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

The free throw possession rule went out in 1988 for the Olympics, because FIBA only introduce a rule change in Olympic years, then the 1 and 1 rule was changed during 1994, Iam pretty sure it didn't change at the same time as the foul shot 1 and 1 rule.

The rules could have been changed in 1990 and 1996 if FIBA introduce rules changes in world championship years? But Iam 90% certain that they only have rule changes during the Olympic years, and BA (basketball Australia) isn't forward enough in its thinking to introduce a rule with out the support of FIBA

Reply #17154 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

94 sounds about right.

Reply #17155 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

wrong!!!!!!

rule changes come in after world champs and olympics and ba does play under fiba besides the question was about the nbl

the nbl plays under a hybrid of nba/fiba what they want goes rules

the one for one option 4.4 replaced option 4.3 which was the 3 for 2 rule in 1984

4.4 after a team has committed seven player fouls, personal or technical, in a half, all sub player fouls shall be penalised by the one for one rule. ONLY if the fist shot is succesful will a further free throw be awarded.

in 1984 when the 1 for 1 rule was introduced option 4.7 was also introduced by fiba this gave the team 'the option if entitled to three free throws or free throws take a side ball if too much delay in making decision free throws to be awarded'

option 4.7 was deleted in 1990

Reply #17159 | Report this post

History Buff  
Years ago

Thanks guys

Reply #17160 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

So 1990 was the year that NBL changed, what about BASA juniors? I thought it was later, but I could be wrong.

Reply #17161 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

that was deleted by fiba in 1990 you would assume that the nbl followed suit but as stated before

the nbl does not adhere strictly to fiba it cut and pastes rules as it thinks fit

Reply #17162 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I beleive you but can't believe that it was more than 15 years ago. I have a couple of people I will ask when basketball gets back. Ill let you know for sure.

Reply #17163 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i was quoting the fiba rule change history book

i would gather that would be correct :)

Reply #17164 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So FIBA deleted the sideline rule, but not 1-on-1. We didn't play the sideline rule in junior social (92-95), so that makes sense.

Reply #17171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the sideline rule was ever used in social ball as it made it to confusing.

Reply #17185 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

when i played social it was used but only the ones who actually were aware of it used it

Reply #17186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754