phoenix
Years ago

Free Ride For Seniors

What gives with district basketball clubs. Are they mostly clubs for juniors which also run senior programs? Committees are mosty made up of kid's parents who probably put effort into the senior program so that there can be a pathway for their kids after juniors. At a club level we see very little involvement by the senior members. It is very rare that you see a senior member on the sausage sizzle or on a committee.

Senior teams below Div 2 compete in a social competition and are never seen apart from their game time. Does this happen in other sports as I remember my footy days when there were senior teams who ran the club and helped nuture the junior competition.Is it purely the club I am involved with or do other clubs give hteir seniors a free ride.

Topic #15049 | Report this topic

correction  
Years ago

Depends, what club you involved with?

Reply #177614 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

people are paying to play, not to go do work... key word is seniors, these people usually have a thing called work, and sometimes families, the whole point of playing basketball is for the enjoyment of it, why should a club force anyone to do work for the club below reserves? if anything, the ABL squads are the only people who are asked to help out, as they are the ones who the juniors are looking up to, not the div 5 players.

Reply #177632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey = idiot

Reply #177640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, play the ball, not the man.

Reply #177648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay :)
Ricey's post = idiotic

Reply #177652 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so ur saying people dont have families and work that they need to spend their time on more? and that kids dont look up to the abl players more than the div 5,4,3 players?

Reply #177654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Ricey, but you have to understand that all clubs run on volunteers. Without them, there is no club, and that includes ABL players. As for the bit about kids looking up to ABL guys, they sure as heck look up to the ones that take the time to help out at clinics etc, rather than the ones they never see because they are 'too busy'.

Understand now?

Reply #177657 | Report this post

seniors rule  
Years ago

Ricey has a point. Below reserves it is basically a social competition, the people play for fun and they have to pay their fees as well as entrance fee on game day...the same as juniors. Nothing more is required from them and that is fair!

Abl players should be involved with juniors. To what extent is debateable. Going out occassionly to support the juniors is enough I believe. Sure helping out around the place is good too, but they are not paid big dollars...alot don't get paid at all. Sure you see footy players doing it but they generally get paid alot more for the same committment!

Also I think you find that alot of players wait until their playing careers are over before they give something back(when they have more time), often thru coaching, and/or volunteering around the stadium.

Reply #177659 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

exactly seniors rule.
from what i have seen aswell, the clinics are decided to be put on at a certain date and time, and the seniors aren't asked to participate till that week when they already have made plans.

Reply #177664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't the clinics and canteen duties and individuals seniors do, the way clubs 'pay' the players?

Reply #177679 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Yet another sad example of the Div 1/2 players having a sook... the so called social (Div3-5 players) members of there club prop up there existence... I got sick of paying to play, coaching juniors, paying club dues not to mention having to buy your own uniform. As stated before most older players have jobs and play for the enjoyment of the game... Most div 1/2 players do sweet FA and still have a whinge LMFAO

Reply #177685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix,If you check out various club websites that are up to date and list coaches for all grades you will see several seniors involved in coaching junior teams.
Many clubs do offer incentives for ABA/L players as a way of rewarding them and still staying within amateur guidelines and some seniors do offer their time as a community service.
In general the better the club the more senior participation you get for various reasons some mentioned in an above post but at least the juniors benefit.
Junior teams are the funding base and drain to clubs as evidenced by the differential in costs to play basketball for both groups and both have different goals and objectives.
A senior playing below div 2 is less likely to want to put anything back into the system given they may rationalize they got very little out of it themselves.
One major issue unresolved amid the amateur status of the ABA is how players from the WNBL playing in it will effect players trying to obtain scholarships in US colleges if those high profile players receive payment. With many clubs blooding juniors this season I hope the powers to be have thought it through very carefully.

Reply #177767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754