ritz
Years ago

NBADraft.net on Jawai

Just having a look at NBADraft.net & they currently they have Big Nath only a 2nd rd pick #43. Not sure why he's that low? If they think he'll go close to that wouldn't he want another season in the NBL? Your thoughts?

Topic #15056 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

He's that low because, for one, no one has seen him anywhere other than in our undersized league, and two, he's not as good as other draft prospects. FWIW though, Draft Express have him going at #30.

Reply #177705 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

It all depends how he goes in the pre-draft camps. If he can put on his best game he should get picked up early-mid 2nd round..

Reply #177709 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

At the moment he's not a first round pick. He needs to hit the summer leagues and rookie camps and show a bit more than he's already shown.

He won't be able to play his NBL game in the NBA and will need to demonstrate a lot more fitness and all round game to make it into the first round.

I think he'll get there, I can see a team like the Spurs or Lakers using a late first rounder and then storing him in Europe for a few seasons.

Reply #177714 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Sorry TR - as far as i am aware you have to sign first-rounders to contracts (hence some cap-challenged teams would rather trade away than use late 1st rounders)... i.e. they are guaranteed contracts (except in screwy situations like Fran Vasquez a couple back)... So the draft and store in Euroland strategy is really only applicable to 2nd rounders cause they are non-guar.

Reply #177715 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

No, they can send first rounders away. In fact, I'm not even sure you are obligated to sign them? Portland drafted Joel Freeland from England at #30 in 06 and he has since been playing in Europe somehwere.

Reply #177716 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Oh. Okay - i could have sworn that was the case... You are right about Freedland though... Go figure...

Reply #177717 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

1st rounders can be told to go overseas, but they tend to be international players who are already playing under a professional contract. As twenty four covered, Portland drafted Joel Freeland from England at #30 and last year the 76ers selected Petteri Kopponen (then traded him to Portland) and he's still in Finland playing.

Fran Vasquez was a lottery pick, but chose to stay in Spain. The Magic retain his NBA rights until they waive him or sign him to a contract. I'm led to believe the Vasquez refused to sign the Required Tender which is offered before a Player Contract, along with deciding not to buy out his contract. If Vasquesz had his contract bought out, and signed the Tender then he would of been required to attend Orlando to fulful his contract. Since he refused then the Magic still own his rights.

Remember that the majority of 1st rounders are college players, hence they have no contracts in place with any other team. At the time Vazquez had two years remaining on his contract with Unicaja Malaga and decided against buying out his contract (remember you can only sign 1 contract at a time).

As I said, there really only happens with international players.

Reply #177718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How would he go in Europe? I always got the impression that he would be the type to get a lot of comfort/support from having family and friends around him? That might be hard in Europe unless he takes a posse over with him.

Reply #177722 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai will shine in the Summer Camps and Summer League and will get drafted. Just a matter whether he is a late first round or not.
I hope AJ sticks around for another season of College as he will have a lot of the focus just on himself at Vandy next season as Foster is a senior and moves on. I would thereforwe expect to see him get a chance to be one if not THE dominant big in NCAA Div I next season and the chance to raise his scoring average to around 22-24 ppg and 10 rpg.

Reply #177737 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Jawai is welcome to come to the Knicks if he wants. Let's just get rid of Randolph in the process. Maybe Jawai can drop him in a club-house boxing bout.

Reply #177752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754