Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

Eddie Groves to sell Brisbane Bullets

Just announced on Ten News - Eddie has advised the players that he is selling the Bullets. Was expected to head this way, but have many put hands up to take it over ?

Topic #15067 | Report this topic

James W  
Years ago

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Reply #177891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where to with the Dome now?

Reply #177892 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Next announcement, Mal Hemmerling and Shahin have joined forces to be the co-owners of both the 36ers and the Dome. Hemmerling and Shahin bought the dome off Groves for an undisclosed amount of money, whilst Shahin also paid an undisclosed amount to become a co-owner.

This could seriously happen!

Reply #177895 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Is Shahin - of the Smokemart Shahin's?

Reply #177898 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Peregrine Corporation, yes, including these brands (often as a franchisee):

On the Run
Smokemart
Gift Box
BP
Happy Wash
Subway
Wok in a box
Brumby's
Hot Chooks
C Coffee
Car Wash Cafe
chill

Reply #177899 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

We could certainly do worse.
Isaac, how far off the mark do you think I am?

Reply #177903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it would be positive for Shahin to become involved, but that's all I'll say.

Reply #177908 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

What would the Dome be called?

Reply #177916 | Report this post

Astor 95  
Years ago

ANON112 - they would seek external sponsorship ie, Clipsal or Distinctive

Reply #177917 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would be called Isaac's Castle of Fun. And I'd run daily come-and-try episodes of It's a Knockout during the week. Then, on weekends, fill it with water and stage mock sea battles while the rats swim around like peas in soup.

Reply #177919 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac. Your 'silence' says plenty. God I love being right!

Reply #177920 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I like your idea Isaac.
Perhaps the rats could be labelled with names like 'Squeal Heal' and 'Ratsak Gorge'. You could then sell 10 rocks for $5 and the public could chuck them at the rats. The opportunities are endless.

Reply #177924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No harming the rats! If I owned the Dome, there'd be a Rat Tribute Centre out front with a petting zoo.

Reply #177928 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Official

http://bullets.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74615

Reply #177929 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Stuff the rats - I want to see Its a Knockout again!

Reply #177930 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Clearly the heat is gettin to some .

Isaac , any mention of It's a knockout deserves a ball IMHO "fill it with water and stage mock sea battles while the rats swim around like peas in soup".
GOLD .

Reply #177932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stat, last night I found the website of a company in the UK who own all the old It's a Knockout gear and rights to the games, etc. They use it to host corporate events, bucks parties and the like. You can even have your event hosted by the original UK host.

Hopefully everyone remembers the strong SA teams like Stirling, etc? What a show!

Reply #177933 | Report this post

Jambo  
Years ago

Stirling were always "The Green Machine" weren't they?

Reply #177936 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Wasn't Shahin one of the losing bidders to Eddie in the first purchase. Could do worse if they bring their food in, don't mind the chicken mornay pie at Brumby's

Reply #177943 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

How lame does the new Gladiators look? It's just a glorified version of IAK, and takes itself far too seriously. IAK's larrikin, knock-about nature has little peer in the action game show genre.

I don't remember much about the SA teams but for some reason I can always remember the Kingaroy Peanuts.

And what was the male host's name: Billy J something?

My day will be made if someone who competed on the show can post on here about their experience.

Reply #177945 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

Reading the article in the advertiser, players may be taking a 10-15% paycut to keep club afloat.

Message for Dusty, - COME BACK TO ADELAIDE!!!!!

Reply #177947 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Why, so he takes a 20 % cut?

Reply #177949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jambo, I think so. SA were nearly always terrible except for a couple of squads and one was definitely Stirling.

Some of those games would be hilarious to play. I still think there's a market for a theme park setup where you go along, pay and then compete in those sorts of games. Cater for kids' birthdays, corporate days and so on. Sell DVDs and photos of the crazy highlights.

Reply #177955 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Re posts It would be great for Peregrine corp to come on board as obvious Mal was only a front for Fast Eddy
and doesnt have the money to go Fwd. The whole N BL needs new money into it from Diff. sources.
Support another post that getting Dusty back would be better value than Holmes , with no dis respect for Holmes.
I also would buy shares in setting up a ITs A Knockout theme park , but not in Adel. as nothing Touristy works here

Reply #177969 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

i think there will be a lot of unhappy players at the bullets, as there salary ( or behind doors payments) will be stopped. I expect a big exedous from players. The same situation at sydney kings as well as there are player getting cash payments too

Reply #177982 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

Drb- where on earth did you get that bold statement from?
That's a pretty big inflammatory statement to make, not to mention some players might find comments like that offensive, especially if they're not even true.
Do you claim to be an 'insider'?
anyway, i'm relieved that eddy has finally admitted he bit off more than he can chew in recent weeks- the news is a breath of fresh air.
i hope they secure a new buyer and they can get back to playing and not have these politics clouding what they're good at.
James W- you'd need to take out a loan most likely to even buy them for a dollar....

Reply #177987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

duh!, you don't think they're getting cash payments at the Bullets? (In which case, I'd disagree with you.) Or you think they'd be insulted that it was suggested that they might leave if asked to play for less?

Reply #177993 | Report this post

newy  
Years ago

I know for a fact that Dusty got a $500 cash payment after a game where he got a double double. Many others would be getting something similar to this.

Yes Eddy helped the league in a way but in another he has just bought a championship and now has left the NBL in it's worst state every.

About Shain; I have my doubts he will become involved with the team 100%, he knows how much coin he will lose and he works very hard for his money.

Reply #178046 | Report this post

a load of crap  
Years ago

newy, you are a tool. How does Eddie selling the team leave the NBL in the shit?

Reply #178054 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

Ok, so you "know for a fact".... whatever.
$500 is bullcrap money considering what some NBL players are getting paid anyway.
And in any case, are you saying that these so-called cash payments that you're an expert on are exclusively offered to Bullets players only?
I doubt they exist (if so, then that's crap to do that) and if they do exist, then I'm sure everybody's doing it.
Everybody or nobody.
Enough of the jealous Bullets-bashing... it's getting very, very old, and somewhat hypocritical considering they're the same players some of you guys are trying to compete for if the team were to fold.....

Reply #178131 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"load of crap", he was sponsoring the league, had sponsored the ASG, etc. Removing that will have an impact. Hopefully others pick up the reins now that he can't keep on doing it.

Reply #178164 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

And Isaac where does it say he is not sponsoring the league, must have missed that part of the press release? ALso he is not the major sponsor is he and as I thought that was Hummer.

Reply #178170 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His logo is on the match balls, isn't it? He has made significant contributions and they will need to find a way to replace that.

Reply #178172 | Report this post

;';  
Years ago

So he sponsors the match balls. I would hardly think that it is hardly big bucks. Also he did NOT mention that he was withdrawing his other commitements did he?

Reply #178174 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL needs every dollar they can get and this will have an impact. I'd guess he'd be withdrawing his other support for the league, though that has not yet been stated.

A few days ago, he was still persisting with the "I'm not selling the Bullets" line when that was not quite accurate.

Reply #178175 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

agreed.

Reply #178182 | Report this post

a load of crap  
Years ago

You Guess? Brisbane Bullets was a personal asset ABC is a seperate entity so really until ABC makes a statement nothing changes.

Reply #178186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Groves had the interest in basketball. He will sell out of his three NBL assets and pull back his financial contribution to the league itself - that, IMO, will have an impact on the league.

Won't leave them "in the shit" - not disagreeing with you there as the league will move on - but it will have an impact.

Reply #178191 | Report this post

New Name  
Years ago

I think he was paying his players so much over the cap that other teams have had to follow and now the players are used to that.

I can see many players now leaving to play overseas as they will not continue getting those dollars here.

This is what happens when you "Buy" a championship

Reply #178211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754