Johnny Sack
Years ago

DMac Dparting...

I came across a thread on OZHO about DMac playing his last game. It is a shame but all things come to an end.

I'll never forget this obscenely skinny point guard who came over for the Giants in 1994 (to be honest when i first saw him I thought - "geez he won't last" - "Look at him - he's just not there"...)... That team was up against it (apparently much like Sydney now - if you know what i mean). But DMac picked up what was a pretty ordinary team - outside of Maley, Reidy, (and maybe Rees) and took it to the finals and beat an Adelaide team that on paper should have wiped them (IMHO)...

And that 1994 heartbreaker at the Powerhouse in game 1... "Lucky shot... We'll get them in 3!!!" (yeah...)...

DMac - I tip my hat to thee...

Topic #15083 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

The man is a legend of the playgrounds and now the NBL

Hope DMac goes out in style

Reply #178075 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

When I'm 44 or what ever age he is, i hope i can still ball like him.

Reply #178076 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

LOL....im 34 and im on my last legs.....i tip my hat to the man

Reply #178079 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Well done D-MAC... great way to be sent out :D

Reply #178095 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Yep...always a great player, great way to go out.

Reply #178100 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Congrats on a great career DMac, great, and deserved way to finish it.

Reply #178113 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

honest and loyal bloke with a lot of heart and passion for any organisation and team mates he represented!! congrats on an awesome career. i must admit...watching Melb next year just WONT be the same with no Dmac runnin' the point...Well done! Hopefully stays in Oz and around the league, and who knows if his son (who's in the squad i believe), will be as good a player as his dad, or have the same silky skills.

Reply #178125 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Dmac is the best at getting into the lane with a simple change of pace that i have ever seen, he makes it look so simple and under control. Bloody quick hands on D and passing and i know wouldnt cross over in front of him even today if given the chance as hes gonna pick your pocket nearly everytime...

Reply #178142 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

One of the players you loved to hate
I remember when we were playing the Titans and to send us packing out of the playoffs with that driving one hand dunk!

He was probably about 39 at that stage too!

Top 3 American point gaurds to come out and play here

Reply #178156 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze gave him a pretty glowing tribute (looked like he wanted to kiss him) after the game last night. DMac, for a while, was stuck for words and got a bit teary. He and Copeland will be the last of that era of great long-term imports to retire - who'd be next longest serving and active, Darnell Mee, Dave Thomas, someone else?

Reply #178159 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Congratulations to DMac on a sensational career and for the team sending him off in style.

A great basketball player and will be solely missed. Hopefully he'll remain in Australia somewhere and doing something.

Reply #178167 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Good article about Dmac here:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/dmac-has-the-best-hands-in-the-business/2008/03/11/1205125912238.html

I still remember that shot he hit over Maher in 1994 and the same shot over Maher again in 2000 against the Titans in the semis. And the emphatic dunk that Kriss mentioned as well was a play I'll never forget. He really knew how to break Sixer fan's hearts.

Probably only second to Ricky Grace in terms of the best point guard to play here.

Reply #178210 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

d-mac is gonna try coach a team in the future
and
his son is quitting basketball after the aba season

Reply #178273 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

The 1994 buzzer beating 3 pointer at the Powerhouse is still one of my all time favorite sporting moments even though it went against us.

I remember the whole crowd being on their feet; screaming, jumping, clapping, it is still the loadest I have ever heard the powerhouse, and that includes championships; he had 5 point somthing seconds to go and took the ball down himself and dropped the three.

D-Mac = BLOODY LEDGEND!

Reply #178378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754