Ms Anonymous
Years ago

Div 3 Games Cancelled

For those who haven't heard, Div 3 games have now also been cancelled due to the heat, with a possibility (depending on the weather) of Div 2 and 5 being cancelled too.

Topic #15100 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

wtf. thats bullshit. so people who have a game at 10pm when its going to be like 24 degrees cant survive in that weather.

Reply #178322 | Report this post

Frank Drebin  
Years ago

There are two people who perhaps can not stand the heat. The Referees. There are really fit Referees and also Sloths. So maybe the players can make it thru a game but these Sloths can not! Eating Hot Dogs and drinking Ice Coffees before a game probably does not help these Sloths to combat the heat but BSA provides no "hot weather" training. Tip: drink water not beer!

Reply #178327 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

Not usually my practice to defend slothy referees, but whilst it may get down to 24 degrees outside, the stadiums are still usually 30+. I hate seeing games cancelled as much as the next guy but i do understand the predicament.

Reply #178494 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

its crap, why cancel games at 10pm?
not to mention, I am sure if people can train in the day when its well over 30, then they can play when its barely 30 at night.
does bsa even realise this is worse for them financially?

Reply #178496 | Report this post

Edinburgh 24  
Years ago

Ricey,

Are you willing to guarentee the legal and litigation expenses for any incidents that occur during this period?

If so, please make a $20M cheque out to BSA and we can get on wit the games.

Reply #178503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the to posts above, are you saying just play the 10pm game slot?...and what refs would want to go out at that time of night just for 1 game....Not me!
And anyway, the teams have subs who don't do the whole game...refs have no subs...they run whole games...so who do you think is going to be warmer? I was looking forward to reffing my games tonight but not in 40 degree heat(inside)...

Reply #178506 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

it aint 40 degrees inside, and i was making a statement about later games. and you refs don't run full games, especially in div 3 games. if anything you waddle up and down. maybe cancel the games that are on at around 6pm if the weather at 1pm is at or above 36.

Reply #178512 | Report this post

Edinburgh 24  
Years ago

Ricey,

That would have to be the most impractical model possible. How would people find out that games were cancelled or not? What about those people who drive 1 hr across town thinking that games are on? What about the games that are forfiets because people think that games are cancelled?

Plus, for BSA to have a ref in charge turn up, have a door person turn up just for the late games, or even the ref's is rediculous. As well is more cost inefficient that calling all games off. Plus inside the stadiums doesn't cool down, the heat retention of the walls and roof, plus the lack of air movement inside means that the temp inside the stadiums heats up faster than the outside temp, as well as stays high long into the evening. Plus after a number of days, this has a multiplying effect, becasue the stadium doesn't cool down over night and gets hit with the heat again.

Again, are you willing to guarentee the legal and litigation expenses for any incidents that occur during this period? Especially if one of these ref's drops.

If so, please make a $20M cheque out to BSA and we can get on with the games.

Reply #178515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey I take offence(bad spelling?) to the fact that you think ref's waddle...some do I know, but alot of us give 100% to reffing the games...its not all about the money(what little we get)...let me know who you play for and I will ref your game..then you can say we waddle...I know I sure don't:)
Anyway, the fact remains that it is still too hot in stadiums....it just means we now have lots of catch up games to do!

Reply #178517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's too hot to play district, but not too hot to play social???

Reply #178518 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

How does BSA tell players they don't have a game to start off? I believe I always see complaints on here about people not finding out because no one was notified to start off with. They only put something on sportingpulse, which is probably only visited by about 50% of the basketball community associated with any of the games canceled, and not on a regular basis either.
As anon said, too hot for district but not for social? I am fairly sure yesterday I played a social game with other district players at 4:40 in the afternoon at Flinders Uni. If that is possible, then I don't see why district games at 6, 7, 8 and so on are not possible.
People will not take BSA to court over the games not being canceled due to hot weather, unless the weather is scheduled to be at or above the hot weather policies certain degree (unsure of what it is). The original idea for the ABL games was possibly the best idea for the hot weather, with having at least one mandatory rest during each quarter.
Edinburgh 24, you keep going on about the heat inside. How about opening the doors during the day to allow some sort of ventilation if there is no fans in the stadium. Where were you when everyone was complaining about the cancellations for the ABL games with your ramblings about $20M?
Oh, and I don't mean every ref waddles up and down the court, a lot of them just dawdle. What divs do you ref anon? As most refs seem to have some idea of who I am.

Reply #178536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I ref Div 2 & 3 Ricey, and I must admit I deliberately don't want to know players names...but thats just me..so I don't know you..and it annoys me that some ref's do dawdle..I also play and hate it when, for example, baseline isn't made and I get hacked...so I understand where you are coming from...just don't put us all in the same basket..sorry for late reply..:)

Reply #178688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754