ANON12
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets GM quits

From the Fox Sports Website.

March 17, 2008
DEPARTING general manager Jeff Van Groningen denies he is deserting a sinking ship after he resigned from the embattled Brisbane Bullets.
The foundation NBL team is under threat of extinction, with millionaire businessman Eddy Groves announcing last week he is selling the club. Recruited six years ago by Groves, Van Groningen says he is leaving to pave the way for a new ownership group to put their stamp on the franchise.

"If you look at things over the past few days the players and coach are determined to stick together so I don't think anyone would see it that way," said Van Groningen. "I think what I've done is added clarity for anyone who wants to buy the Bullets that they can come in and run them how they want to run them."

Brisbane coach Joey Wright, club captain Sam Mackinnon and staff member Narelle Kelly are fronting a rescue group searching the community for a white knight to rescue the club.

Van Groningen, who was a part of the Melbourne Tigers front office for three years before being poached by Groves, said he made his decision to allow the club to go forward with a fresh new team.

He also felt if Groves was no longer going to be the owner, his time was also up.

"It's professional sport," said Van Groningen. "It's a really dynamic industry. To go six years without a major, major change in your life in professional sport is a pretty fair tenure.

"I had three years before that with the Tigers so for nine years I've been at the top of a club.

"Eddy invited me to come and run his club and he doesn't own the club and I think it's better if someone else comes in clean for whoever the new ownership group may be."

Apart from being part of Brisbane's first championship success in 20 years in 2006-2007, Van Groningen recruited a host of talent to the club including Mackinnon, this season's MVP runner-up Ebi Ere, import Dusty Rychart, Kiwi internationals Craig Bradshaw and Dillon Boucher and veteran guards Derek Rucker and CJ Bruton.

Van Groningen was keeping his options open about his next move.

"It's too early to say," he said. "But there's a few things that have been put to me over the last few years that I now have a chance to pursue," said Van Groningen, who does have some NBA aspirations.

"Basketball is something I'm pretty open minded about."

Topic #15111 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For future reference, please do not create topics with all-caps titles, and do not copy and paste full articles. Quote some select bits and then link off to the original article. There is a link to Linky.com.au specifically to help people create links (and then track the clicks if they're interested). Thanks ANON12.

JVG has moved on (pushed out, you'd say). The new owner of the Bullets has assumed control, but is yet to be identified.

Reply #178463 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

good.... could see that for joey to come back, this would need to happen, and the relationship between player/ coach is harder to balance anyway than with a manager.
the way he let joey go was wrong- very insensitive, and i can see why joey says that bridges have been burnt.

Reply #178482 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think JVG is deserting a sinking ship. He doesn't know who the new owners will be and what they may want. For all he knows, the new owners may not want to disrupt the way things are running and would like to hold onto his experience. Alternatively he can make the suggestion to any prospective buyers that he is happy to step aside and let them run the show their way. Sticking around for the sale of the Bullets may have even increased their value knowing that a capable and experienced GM was there to run it. I think its premature to resign now.

Reply #178493 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

After the WAY things were handled here, I wouldn't be surprised if he just jumped before he got pushed.
He and Joey would not have been able to work together anymore, and the fact that it's come hot on the heels of Joey coming back, is far from coincidence....

Reply #178497 | Report this post

New Name  
Years ago

It's because he hasn't got an endless amount of money to spend anymore.

Reply #178522 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac,
Sorry about that will remember for any future threads.

Reply #178560 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No worries, appreciate your involvement and new topics.

EC, JVG would've been pushed out.

Reply #178572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754