Victorian
Years ago

Easter carnival - 16 Boys

Carlo, can you let us know which norwood your boys are - the 1 or 2 team. I could not picture you being 2 this year in the same pool as Melb or Dandy, not after the way your boys went at eltham earlier in the year.

Best clear up any confusion before the event rather than be accused..... well you know what of.

Hopefully the weather looks like it has cooled in sleepy hollow so we look forward to a nice relaxed weekend over there.

Topic #15128 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Victorian - are you suggesting the 2 team is the stronger team, because at my club the 2 team is considered the weaker team and the 1 is suggestive of the team which is regarded as stronger

Reply #178752 | Report this post

Anti-Troll  
Years ago

Victorian - i don't think this is the forum for personal snipes like this, especially of a juniors coach.

Perhaps call the carnival organisers to clarify, if you've got any serious concerns.

Reply #178753 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Anti-troll

Definately not a personal attack on anyone - just do not want to have a repeat of last year. Does nothing for the game or tournament at all.

Reply #178756 | Report this post

He's got no game  
Years ago

No Let him go. I just love to hear what a typical arrogant Victorian pr!ck he is.

Reply #178758 | Report this post

Anti-Troll  
Years ago

Victorian - then raise it through the appropriate channels. An annonymous internet forum board is not the place to vent personal grievances (although don't tell that to our former coach), let alone against a Junior team or coach.

Reply #178763 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Geee-suz!!!
Relax guys. He has a point. There was a lot of doubt last year over team positioning. It goes to the credibility of the tournament that there be no such cloud over this years tournament.

Remember, we need them at the tournament.

Reply #178765 | Report this post

He's got no game  
Years ago

Who needs who? Sorry 7G, the 16 boys wont be playing against my daughters team.

Dont let the door hit you on the A$$ on the way out I say!

Reply #178768 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Narrow minded fools.
We all need tournaments such Norwood to retain their credibility and integrity otherwise teams and good competition from Victoria will no longer come across.
Our teams need to be challenged and top teams from VIC give us the competition we need and lack in our Div 1 comps.
Granted the matter could and should be raised with tournament officials, but it is a valid concern worth talking about in open and not hush hush!

Reply #178770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got no game - is your daughter in U16s?

If so, don't bother playing - Forestville have it in the bag. After all, they DID win the winter season last year. Just ask the Metro parents.

Reply #178795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the norwood div 1 team in the same pool as Melbourne, Dandy and Forestville, or is it the div 2 side?
If it's the div 1 side, then group A is the group of death

Reply #178813 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Can someone please tell me what happened last year?

Reply #178823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolks, norwood did what norwood do and a team that was listed as a 2 team mysteriously became the 1 team. Cant see it happening again because they dont need to with their times and draw.

Reply #178830 | Report this post

ElephantBoy  
Years ago

The draw was released late to give the Norwood coaches ample opportunity to vet it before hand. The integrity of this tournament has been thrown in doubt but it still gets record numbers of participants.

Reply #178912 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Sector7G / LC and elephant man

Thanx for your positive feedback. We have landed in the land of sleepy hollow and having read the above agree the intregity of the carnival can sometimes be questioned.
We simply come here to play in a good tournament and have the opportunity to play against the Sturt teams.

I doubt that we would be here if they were not competing. I notice that Sturt have the most SA teams entered, more than anyone else. Seems strange seeing it is a norwood carnival.

Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend of good old SA hospitality

Reply #178914 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Looking forward to it despite the politics and (not so hideen) agendas!
Pity you have to boil the water in order to drink it...

Reply #178917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*cue club bashing in 5....4....3....

Reply #178918 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Victorian - as you brought up this thread re U16 boys - is that the age group you are alinged with?

Reply #178924 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

eeek dyslexic fingers - aligned!!

Reply #178925 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone who talks shit about our water gets put in a barrel. I like the water here - more flavour.

Reply #178927 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Much maligned but no not aligned. I am a Geelong boy at heart. I come over to visit family and watch good b'ball. I like the Dandy, Sturt and the Melb Tigers teach their kids.

Go the catters - Is there to be another power failure tonight ? Will it be a good friday for the cats ?

So much to think about !!!!

Reply #178930 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes there will be another outage as I just had one. I was typing a response and everything went black. I was just commenting on the fact that ETSA did a great job during the "heat wave" but now the cooler weather is here we are experiencing outages, which make people late for work if they dont reset their alarms properly like moi. Perhaps they knew you were coming Victorian and thought they would show you some home grown southern hospitality

Reply #178935 | Report this post

Bballer  
Years ago

No need to drink our water in any case, just drink our wine!

Reply #178937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good are Frankston and Bulleen in the Under 16 Boys?

Reply #178940 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perhaps you could turn the water into wine?

Reply #178946 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Bulleen are very ordinary. They only just qualified for the Vic c'ships and are 0-2 this season so far.
Frankston are a good team and are currently undefeated in Vic champs after 2 rounds so far. They can score very heavily and play full court man. Dandenong are undefeated as well and have a decent lineup and should pose a big threat too.

Reply #178948 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Melb, McKinnon and Sandy are decent (better I would say based on what I have seen) than Frankston and Dandy. Norwood were ordinary when I saw them at Eltham, but Sturt who I believe cannot beat norwood here in SA were very good despite 2 kids injured.
It appears to be a very even age group. Time will tell.

Reply #178950 | Report this post

SabreToothTiger  
Years ago

Sandy are good. I would argue Melbourne are thereabouts as well. McKinnon IMO are slightly behind.
Write of Bulleen thought - they will struggle.
I reckon Sandy will beat Frankston in the final.
the pressure of having to beat the tough VICteams will see Sturt miss out. I can't see Norwood doing well after seeing them at Eltham.

Reply #178955 | Report this post

SA Review  
Years ago

Norwood are undefeated here this year and deserve the No 1 tag in SA, Sturt are struggling at the moment, West are too small to challenge, Centrals have a 6' 7" kid that is hard to stop but not much else, Southern definitely improving and could surprise, Forestville and North to struggle.

Reply #178961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals play zone and got beaten by Victor Harbor last year.

Reply #178965 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Looks like the VIC boys, crap water and all, will dominate.

Reply #178968 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Anyone who talks shit about our water gets put in a barrel"

he he...carnival now at Snowtown?

Reply #178969 | Report this post

Eltham boy  
Years ago

SA review

I hear what you say about the norwood boys but the run and gun style they play doesn't match up well with the vic style. They have some good players but decision making from what I saw was poor and unless the coach can get them to play some D that would improve them.

Obviously the standard is not high in SA at the moment

Reply #179010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Diamond Valley Going ?

They have surprised a few in Vic, not sure where they have got better as they were not great in this age group

Reply #179025 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

sturt always seem to do better than norwood in these carnivals, who knows why cos they cant beat them but they always go further than norwood in big carnivals, it weird, sturt beat dandy at the eltham tournament but lost to mckinnon and melbourne, they did really well ecspecially considering they had their point guard out with a broken wrist and one of their best players played with a broken finger and was out for 6 weeks after the carnival, btw norwood will be without there point guard this week so they may stuggle a bit because they have no other point guards and that kid that is out is very good

Reply #179028 | Report this post

Sheepy  
Years ago

No need to worry about the boys team this year. It is the U16 girls that are playing unethical games. Playing a recruit to the club of a state coach that isn't cleared is typical of a club that has no regard for doing things the 'right way'. You would have thought that after last year they would have more integrity. But I for one am not surprised. Just another example of a club that will do anything (use State coaches to recruit like they have been bragging out) to win.

Reply #179120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Easter Classic is not a district carnival so they can play a girl not cleared to District competition yet.

Reply #179132 | Report this post

CashForKids  
Years ago

They paid like $900 for the kid.

Reply #179134 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Is Carlo coaching the 16 girls team now as well ?

It may not be a district tournament but there are ethical issues here are'nt there ?

Reply #179136 | Report this post

Ethical dilema  
Years ago

they will need to pay $750 for her once she is cleared, and agree hillbilly, considering all the crap they took last year for doing something unethical, you would think that they would want to do the right thing this year, but it's Norwood and their carnival, winning is put in front of doing the right thing again

Reply #179137 | Report this post

red and blue  
Years ago

Hillbilly, Ethical Dilemma

Don't blame all norwood people. Some of us are hard workers and don't agree with what certain heirachy do.
The majority of us do it for the right resons. It is only a game after all. Every club has a few who like to "bend the rules" so to speak. Unfortunately for us those few are at the top of the pyramid. It may stem down from the District coach perhaps and the attitude they have towards winning at all costs.
Just maybe .... but then that is another story.

Maybe then again that is why many of us admire our cross town rivals program - they don't need to employ so called "unethical" behaviour. If distance was not an issue.

Reply #179138 | Report this post

Ethical dilema  
Years ago

it has happened in the boys program, it happens in the girls program, the senior coaches do it and the junior coaches do it, some players are only charged fee's when the want a clearance, uniforms are given for free when players want to move to Norwood, it is across the club so much that it seems to be considered the norm

Reply #179139 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perhaps it is not that they are only charged fees when they want to move BUT they think that they are that good that they refuse to pay them and ignore requests for payment. SO the only way they get their clearance is to pay their fees that they havent paid.

Reply #179140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it would be good if they got there programs right lift a team out in the under 18 girls champ.

Reply #179141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how are the under 18 girls going??

Reply #179154 | Report this post

Ethical dilema  
Years ago

anon,
talking about good players being allowed to play without being charged fee's at ALL by agreement, then being told they need to pay if they want to move, just like recruits are told they will get free fee's if they come

Reply #179160 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nothing really is free in this life, you may think that it is but you need to show some loyalty as well. I would say that it would have been explained if someone had bothered to ask the question...what happens if we leave to go to another Club? I am sure you would have been told, I cant believe that you would be that gullible to expect that they wouldn't want something in return. Next time instead of being blinded by offers of freebies, look beyond and ask the hard questions.

Reply #179171 | Report this post

PayMePayMe  
Years ago

Oh no not more questionable ethics by a limited few. The people involved need to be focussed on teaching the game, not winning at the cost of their curent, loyal kids.

There is nothing worse for a kid at the club on the fringe of a team or whose court time will be effected to have a club pay a $750 fine to poach a player over. Let these kids move, she may have valid reasons, but bill the family for the fine.

Reply #179176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a merry go round between the top clubs each 'enticing' kids to their club but in the above case, if your coach blamed you for the grand final loss you might want to leave too.

Reply #179203 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

42 - 43, final score between McKinnon and sturt in the 16 boys championship. sturt coming out on top.
for those with doubts, sturt had beaten norwood in the semi final

Reply #179266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive win by Sturt.

And everyone keeps banging on about the Vic kids...

Reply #179272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong wins U14 Boys?? WOW. That is a shock is it not??

Reply #179273 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

norwood were without there star point guard but due credit to sturt who played very well all tournament and went through undefeated, they have improved a lot since the start of the season and they are now a real threat going into state champs and classics

Reply #179277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone catch the neglecent act by woodville #13 in the girls championship grand final?...

after the game had finished, she went up to one of the melbourne sisters [#5 I think] who was expecting a shake of hands, and threw her to the ground.... seriously though... thats bad sportsmanship...

best team won I know and she was very frustrated but she shouldn't have done that... especially as the melbourne girl was a hotty

btw, I was shocked to see sturt win the 16 boys.... I think norwood, Dandenong and Melbourne Tigers were all better but sturt played well in the final... well done nonetheless

Reply #179280 | Report this post

Eltham Boy  
Years ago

SA Review and man of the moment

Had the pleasure of watching Sturt U/16 team last night against norwood and the in the final today against McKinnon. I believe this group has won this particular carnival as 14's and they beat us as 12's

I know norwood had the showy guard kid out but in reality the blue boys should have won by 25. To be 12 down into the second as they were and then win like that is an emphatic message. One kid seems to spark them but then they get on a roll and they play tough defence. Norwood just run and gun and don't play D and question the norwood coaches ability in a game situation based on what I see every now and again. To leave a big kid matched against a small 2 man and not get the big to post up says something.

Against mckinnon they played as a whole team. They had kids in foul trouble early which nulified their impact but the rest stepped up and covered. We like the style of the coach and the plays he has them doing. They have improved greatly since we last saw them in january.

Once again a great carnival and we look forward to seeing these guys again in June.

Reply #179283 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who won 14 boys championship

Reply #179286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and who won and what was the score in 16 girls championship

Reply #179298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers girls won the 16 girls championship by about 10-15 points. well done

Reply #179299 | Report this post

Kylie  
Years ago

mmmm

Reply #179303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep

Reply #179304 | Report this post

He's got no game  
Years ago

(#178795)he he he.....you idiot.

And why would you ask the eagles metro parents anyway? Good luck if you can find one.

Reply #179337 | Report this post

He's got no game  
Years ago

(#179120), (#179176)& (#179137) Can you shed more light on the transfer situation? Are we paying juniors to transfer between clubs these days? Surley that is not right.

Is it a fine or unpaid fees?

If not it would seem to setup the underage comp for a huge fall later down the track.

Reply #179344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got no game,

There is a rule in place that if a player transfers to the club of the state coach for that age group (in this case, Norwood), there is a $x transfer fee (not sure what that amount is). I believe (not positive) that the fee goes from the club to the previous club?

It's aim I assume is to stop people flocking to the club of the state coach.

Reply #179364 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

sturt won 14 boys by 20

Reply #179365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the state coach isnt coaching that age group the reason the girl moved was becasue she wasnt enjoying her basketball and she wasnt getting treated the right way

Reply #179393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely irrelevant what age group the state coach is coaching at the club level.

Reply #179412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754