James W
Years ago

Boti's NBL article today

...was a very annoyed one indeed. For those that didn't read: basically Boti giving a bollocking to everyone who says the NBL is done because Sydney and Brisbane are in financial trouble...

I'm in agreement that it's very frustrating having everyone continually write the NBL off...

Sometimes this country seems to have blinkers on as far as sport is concerned...if it's not football or cricket (also rugby if you're from NSW or QLD), major recognition seems very difficult to achieve (it took a major overhaul of the nation's soccer competition before it gained any momentum)...

Topic #15139 | Report this topic

duh!  
Years ago

James, the nbl is screwed for a multitude of reasons.
sydney and brisbane have always been significant contributors to the league, so naturally, that would have a huge impact if they were to fold.
i'm hoping this doesn't happen, but if it were to, i think the league would probably have one more season left in it, and even then, it probably would only do that in a highly average capacity.

Reply #178998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"duh!", you are exactly the type of idiot that Boti is talking about!

Things are not looking great by any means but the NBL is not "screwed". The constant negativity is really starting to piss me off aswell.

Reply #179024 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

anon- wake up!
if you consider reality negative, then you must walk around in a constant stage of delirium where pixies, leprachauns and pots of gold are everywhere.
people like you are the reason why things aren't getting fixed- you're in denial about the fact that things need to improve.
things can't improve without feedback and highlighting and raising issues.
not at least for most of us.
you're probably asleep when all these things happen behind the scenes, and wake in the morning to find it all miraculously fixed for you. with not much contribution actually from you.

Reply #179027 | Report this post

j shuttlesworth  
Years ago

is it just me, or did everything boti rag on-he seemed to do at one stage or another?? ie-the league bashing, calling the league "american". i remember he complained about music too loud for a while & made the level come down because it was too much a "show" or something.
oh & wasnt the game invented in america?.....

Reply #179030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is not 'screwed' but it, and a majority of it's teams, are most definitely suffering from 15+ years of atrocious management. If anything, it's a miracle it still survives.

Reply #179033 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

whoa re the sorts of people that are running the nbl anyway?
are they ex-players still living in the past who think the transition from playing to developing dound managerial skills is one that's taken lightly- simply by using the same skills applied to ball?
id that's the case, then if i were a butcher and wanted to become a baker, i'd be good at it if i was just determined and focussed, etc.
not so!
i might still suck at it no matter what i try!

why can't they have an inquiry or something- there are heaps of companies out there that could help with re-evaluating the internal business process itself?

Reply #179040 | Report this post

Jacques de Molay  
Years ago

I thought it was a very good article by Boti today and the NBL is far from dead.

Reply #179058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duh!, when has Brisbane been a major contributor before Eddy Groves bought the team? as far as i can remember they had the least amount of members and people in seats for years. Sydney also had the same problem for many many years and it was the Meb Tigers, South East Melb Magic, The North Melb Giants and the 36ers holding things together with The Wildcats in a support role. so i have to disagree the league could survive without both clubs.

Reply #179065 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I agree with the above #179065 anon.
Sydney was never a "significant contributor" to the league. The city cares nada for Basketball. In fact in the glory days, save for a couple of good imports (McClain, McClary), they were a laughing stock and the rest of the real league, didn't give a toss about them. It would be no great loss to the league to see Sydney fold, I'm sorry, just my opinion.
Brisibane? That would be a loss though.

Reply #179086 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Its not like Sydney and Brisbane have been the backbone of the league.

Sydney only became successful at about the same time when the NBL stopped policing the salary cap. And it's been a long time between championships for Brisbane.

Sydney STILL can't attract a crowd despite having the league organised around them being succsussful.

Hardly the heartland of basketball in Australia.

Reply #179092 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Reply #179103 | Report this post

Sydney and Brisbane have never been that great until the last few years, BUT, any potential sponsor of the NBL (Hummer for instance) want to make damn sure their $$ are maximized by reaching the biggest possible audience, if they don't, then they are in trouble.

If Sydney & Brisbane do happen to fall over then it could be said that two out of the big three capital city's no longer have representation in the NBL, making it harder to attract sponsors.

Of course Boti is talking the NBL up; its how he puts food on the table.

No NBL = hungry Nagy's

Talk it up Boti, I hope it works; however I have never been so worried about the NBL in its history.

National comps do fall over. National Baseball League, R.I.P.

It can happen.

Reply #179147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget folks. Two teams in Sydney,four teams in Queensland (two of them being in South East Queensland). So Sydney fold, The Razorbacks become the main team in Sydney and Brisbane will remain, but in a similar reflection of its mid to late 90's teams.

This scenerio is nothing new for the NBL, much of this stuff was happening back in the 80's (Remember when when the Westars and the Supersonics merged). It happened again in the 90's (all the Melbourne teams bar Tigers).The League's history is dotted with teams collapsing and new teams starting and Boti has been around long enough to appreciate this(unlike many of the journos covering basketball in the Eastern states - with the exception of Grantley Bernard).

There is a clear message coming out of all these threads: the league needs a major overhaul. There seems to be little disagreement about that.

Reply #179202 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754