Anonymous
Years ago

Should Zone be illegal in u/16's?

After watching some of the under 16 matches this weekend, it seems many teams become lazy and zone up way too much....
Now zoning is illegal in 12's and 14's im pretty sure, so should it be illegal in under 16's aswell...

We should be having our kids play strong man to man and trap but not zone as is a cop out for many teams....

thoughts??

Topic #15173 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Whilst I don't think that zones teach our kids anything skill-wise, they are a legitimate tactic used all over the world.
At some stage the kids need to know how to at least play against one - so where do you draw the line?

Reply #179296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good words LC, I agree totally. Throwing in a zone can be a turning point in a game, but playing zone the whole game is weak. It should be abolished ethically from the junior game, any actual ban on it wont work but coaches need to be made to understand that a zone isn't helping anyone in the long run.

Reply #179300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15173 - sounds like your team wasn't good enough to beat a zone over the weekend.

Reply #179305 | Report this post

Hands Espenson  
Years ago

I don't think it should. Instead of looking at the zone as a negative part of the game, use it to your advantage. It's just another way the game has evolved. Just look at the NCAA, ever since melo and syracuse won playing a zone all year it has been the norm. And you can be sure that down the track when the game evolves again and players are capable of tearing a zone apart, another tactic will be thought up for the basketball world to adjust too.

Or perhaps it will go full circle and the razzle dazzle of the old school will return.

Reply #179307 | Report this post

Years ago

gotta deal with it at some stage

Reply #179308 | Report this post

Knox_team  
Years ago

in the domestic competition out here in Knox (vic) zone is totally illegal in under 10's. From under 12's through to under 20's you can play zone but only after half time. Must be full man the first half, then you can zone afterwards. Works well like that. I definitely don't think banning it is a good idea as a zone can be handy. Also it is important that the kids can play against one, generally speaking if u cannot play and understand one- it is pretty difficult to play against it.

Reply #179313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zone from U16 and up is pretty good for elite stuff, in local I would say zone should be for seniors only

Reply #179315 | Report this post

ZONE  
Years ago

Teams were playing Zone before Syracuse won the title. That did not start a trend in college basketball.

Reply #179317 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

It is a legit part of the game so I say zone away.

Juniors probably should not have to deal with it until u14's to give them a chance to learn the game; however after that it should be available.

Reply #179323 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

So long as it is not run for the whole game, why not zone at U/16s? They will be playing against zones if they go on to seniors, so when else can they learn how to beat a zone?

Reply #179334 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

It's not illegal under the rules so why mess with it.
I recall that the ACT banned zones in junior basketball and then faced all sorts of problems when they went to championships/tournaments. The players had NEVER played against a zone and did not know how to deal with it.
Maybe the answer is something along the Knox model, where you have to play "man" in the first half and then can use a zone. This could be particularly utilised where a "strong" team plays a weaker opponent - thus giving the weaker team a chance to score and not be humiliated (which is normally to fault of over aggressive coaches with a win at all costs mentality) as happens in some grades/age groups.

Reply #179342 | Report this post

MCSE  
Years ago

Two three be a tree is great defence.

We came up against Zone in U12 in the tourney and while I don't condone the use of it in Juniors, it did help my team learn how to beat it at a very early age.

Reply #179350 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Zone is a gr8 tool when you dont know the opposition and havent had a chance to scout them so in carnivals etc as it makes it alot harder for the one or 2 stars in the opposition to take over. Should never be banned at any level in my opinion as is a legitamate strategy. You can switch up the zone a number of ways as we all know then switch to man and the oppositions offence will struggle.

Reply #179362 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Keep the Zone. It's part of the game. I like the switch from zone to man during the game.

Reply #179500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754