Isaac
Years ago

Worthington cleared by NBL tribunal

The National Basketball League (NBL) Tribunal has cleared Sydney Kings player Mark Worthington on the charge of "striking  with elbow" following an incident in Game 5 of the recent grand final series.

The verdict was delivered Tuesday morning after the charges were heard via telephone by NBL Tribunal Chairman Ken Madsen.
Full article
As per NBL Rules, no public comment may be made by players, coaches or clubs on Tribunal matters either before, during or after the hearing.
Quietly on behalf of a number of players, clubs and coaches I'm sure: WTF?!

Topic #15189 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This is a disgrace, the only thing i can think of is as the NBL is part of FIBA any ban would have meant missed Olympic games (speaking of which are the Boomers due to play anywhere before the Olympics?)

The guy raises a form up up and into an oppositions head and does not only not get thrown out of the game the NBL now deems this style of play legal.

The NBL needs to put its hand down the front of its pants to check if it is missing parts of it anatomy.

Reply #179424 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Are you serious? The elbow was shown clearly on video and it did damage to Anstey.

How could this not be suspension worthy?

The NBL tribunal is really weird and inconsistent with it's cases.

Reply #179426 | Report this post

Sturt Champs  
Years ago

NBL tribunal is a joke and sets a bad example for the rest of the state governing bodies.
Very poor form.

Reply #179427 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

He should have got 4 games for the incident and that he got a suspended sentence during the finals, for rough play, as much as it was Anstey hit hit. Guys like him and Lampley and hinder should be made examples of.

Reply #179431 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

How would Bakari Hendrix and Dragons management be feeling about the decision?

All you can say is WOW!

Reply #179434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone describe the incident in question?

Are some of you getting confused with the incident in the game where he was suspended?

Anyone got a video of it (i think someone on Ozhoops posted a clip of the 'hit' on Redhedge)

Reply #179437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thug by name, thug by game.

Reply #179440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was the incident where he raised his elbow into Anstey's chin and Anstey required stitches after the game. Worthington got an unsportsmanlike foul for it at the time.

Reply #179445 | Report this post

MCSE  
Years ago

We need the Victorian Social League tribunal to look into this matter. Knowing their suspensions, wortho would now have 252 Weeks off.

Reply #179469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crap political call by who ever was involved.

Reply #179473 | Report this post

Knox_team  
Years ago

Bakari gets suspended and Wortho gets off? Unbelievable. Be consistent.

Reply #179496 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

WTF
That is the most p*ss weak decisino by the tribunal
Almost as dumb as the AFL tribunal

If anyone can get a video of it it's worth posting

I doubt Wortho will be in the L next year anyway

Reply #179513 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

WTF
That is the most p*ss weak decisino by the tribunal
Almost as dumb as the AFL tribunal

If anyone can get a video of it it's worth posting

I doubt Wortho will be in the L next year anyway

Reply #179514 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I can't believe it. Anstey came to screen him and copped a deliberate elbow to the chin. When you are not expecting it, in our game, it's very dangerous.

Reply #179517 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Perhaps the Tigers need to take action now and personally sue him. If the incident had resulted in a loss to the Tigers in that game and subsequent loss of championship, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Tigers would be jumping up and down. As for the suspension everyone thought he should have got, what would he have been suspended from. I don't think you can extend it to the Olympic Games and which club should now suffer the consequence of game suspensions if he does not stay with the Kings? I just think it got a bit too hard for the NBL to deal with and took the easy option, although a personal fine would have been in order regardless.

Reply #179521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like the way the announcement is conveniently situated as the 3rd story down on the nbl website. the stories are usually ordered chrnologically from the top, with the newest first.

also interesting to see no explanation of the findings, as we usually get with tribunal cases

Reply #179528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, also note the addition by the NBL about player/coach/club comment - that note hasn't featured in past tribunal announcements.

EC, if the league is FIBA-sanctioned and the international games also, then a suspension could easily carry over.

Some suggest that Worthington is a chance to join the Tigers which would suggest that Melbourne hardly wanted to push for a suspension!

Reply #179539 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Tigers got what they wanted and that was the championship so yes I agree they would hardly want to put any effort into bringing about justice, however if a loss had been the result of Worthington's actions, then I don't think the Tigers would have been so forgiving, regardless of whether there was a chance he would join them this next season or not. Either way, Worthington got away with something others did not. What was so special about this case that warranted being cleared? Why have the NBL said that no public comment was to be made? Shouldn't a public report on how they arrived at their decision be mandatory? What have they got to hide? If the fear is there that a suspension would see Australia disadvantaged in the Olympic games, isn't that cheating the system, just like the ones who try to hide from the fact they have taken performance enhancement drugs? What's the difference? Cheating is cheating.

Reply #179546 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

This is the transcript from the tribunal......

All rise.
The matter of Worthington vs Anstey before Your Honour Chief Justice Brian Goorjian.
BG: Mr. Prosecutor can you state the facts.
MP: 'Well it sort of looked like the victim bumped into the wrist/forearm of the accused'.
BG: The defences response?
D: 'Our client nearly broke his forearm when Mr. Anstey chin butted him'.
BG: Any witnesses?
D: 'No one from Sydney saw a thing'.
MP: 'All the Melbourne fans had tears in their eyes and so what they saw was blurred'.
BG: It was only Anstey, no-one one else was really hurt! Case dismissed.

Reply #179573 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

BULLSHIT!

Reply #179584 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Isaac, Expect Wortho to be a Taipan if plays NBL....

Reply #179591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754