dana
Years ago

Hello from the USA

Hello from Virginia Beach Virginia. Had to fly to USA suddenly due to family illness. Since I am here and had to organise funeral etc. last week, I want to do something fun, so I am going to an NBA game. Cavaliers and Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Oh and Le Bron too) will be in Charlotte next Wednesday and it's only 6 1/2 hours drive from here so I'll be there.
Cheers all.

Topic #15198 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry to hear about the funeral Dana. Hopefully Big Z (with some help from LBJ) puts on a show.

Reply #179552 | Report this post

Agreed  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac. Your posts whilst I don't agree with many of them demonstrate passion and at least some sanity & fairness around them. Unfortunately these attributes don't go hand in hand,generally, with the basketball public around here.

Reply #179553 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Thanks guys. My trip here was very sudden, My brother had a massive stroke on Saturday I arranged ticketrs and a new passport etc. and got here just after midnight on Friday morning week before Easter, and went straight to the hospital. We deided to take him off the respirator about 3.30pm and it was all mecifally over in 15 minutes. Luckily my younger brother and I were both able to make it here to be with him. I figure that with the expense of getting all the way over here, the least I could do is to catch an NBA game so I am really looking orward to it. My brother's stepson will drive me there. When he was just a kid a few years ago in Adelaide, I took him to 3 36ers games and he loved them. So it wasn't hard to coax him into driving me to Charlotte. Although I don't follow that team, I do follow any Lithuanians playing over here and getting to see Le Bron in the same game will be a bonus. I have looked at the Charlotte tickets and the internet even gives you a 3D view of the court from the seats you are buying. Only problem is I don't know which end is the home teams bench, so I will phone them to make sure I get a seat behind the Cavs bench (or as close as I can.) I also bought this laptop I'm using over here. God we get ripped off something chronic for many things in Australia. So I've been doing a bit of shopping. Oh, and another highlight, I used to get excited to see the F1-11 fly over during the Clipsal or the Grand Prix. well, we're very close to Norfolk Navy Base and they train the pilots so I am getting to see fancy flying every day, in fact I can hear them as I am typing. People here think it's no big deal but I still marvel at a couple of jets doing fancy flying.

Reply #179555 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Only know you from banter online Dana, but also sorry to hear about the initial reason for the travel.

However it sounds like those seats will be awesome, plus the talent on show. You may even get a glimpse of the great man MJ himself.

Reply #179576 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry to here about your brother Dana... Always sad news.

Your going to be seeing one of best young and upcoming teams in the NBA in Charlotte.. Okafor, Crash, J-Swish and Ray. Add Lebron and Big Z and it's almost the complete package.

You should be able to get good seats. If I was you I'd also be trying to give the Bobcats head office a call (or drop in 333 East Trade Street. Tel(704) 688-8600) and let them know you are in town for a Bobcats game, all the way from Australia and they sometimes will line you up with better seats and/or get you a chat with a player or two for a photo.

PS: Whilst you are in Charlotte please start name dropping Nathan Jawai as the Bobcats 2nd round pick....please....

Reply #179580 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Hi all,
I've already booked my tickets and we'll be in section 109 row P seats 1 and 2 so if we're on TV I'll wave. I actually already rang the Bobcats to book the tickets and Cameron, the guy who sold me the tickets has already promised to come and see us in our seats to give me some Bobcats paraphenalia so that they 'might get another bobcats fan in Australia. They have already bent over backwards to get me a good seat and love the accent. funny how most people here love my dinky di accent. We're also going to get a Bobcats Lunch Box whatever that means.
Can't wait. Cheers everyone and thanks.

Reply #179583 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Condolences Dana,

Hope you have a ball at the game..will keep an eye out for your waving, sounds like the bobcats people really know about marketing.

Reply #179585 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss Dana and condolences to you and your family .
Glad to see you are making the most of what is a sad time . You have always been the eternal optimist and it rings thru right here , good on ya love .
All the best , Enjoy the game and have a safe return home .

Reply #179619 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Shop, Shop, Shop...Bad reason to visit and I feel for you, but take the opportunity to buy anything and everything electronic you need. Circuit city is a good start. Find the discount clothes stores and buy another bag for your return trip!!

Bball shoes And1's for $20 when i lived there a few yrs ago.
And if you get lonely the World market has vegemite:)

Reply #179645 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Cheers skud. Reeboks were the first thing I bought for $49.99 would you believe. I've bought myself a laptop that I ended up getting at Best Buy because Circuit City either wouldn't take my non american visa card online or they didn't have what I wanted to buy in the store. It's very frustrating when they have laptopson display but 'none in stock'. I also bought a camcorder and have bought heaps of clothes for family because it's the end of winter here and the sales are fantastic. So shopping has been something I have done heaps of. On the way here I spent 6 hours at Dallas fort Worth Airport and they were all in a fantastic bar called TGIF or friday's for short. I'm very impressed with people's friendliness and politeness over here as before I came here I had assumed that i it was more 'false' than it actually is.

Reply #179733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754