Basketball Feast
Years ago

3 Consecutive ABL Double Header Weekends

Due to the rescheduling of the first round of ABL teams will now have 3 consecutive double header weekends after the first round this week. This will give everyone a chance to get out and see their teams. It will also sort the wheat from the chaff very quickly. This isn't a draw that allows teams to build up their form as the season progresses - they will need to be on their game in the first month. I can't wait!

Topic #15199 | Report this topic

inevitable  
Years ago

This just proves the 18 game season is a farce... 1/3 of the season will be over in 3 weeks.

Reply #179605 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Followed by 2 weekends of nothing.

Reply #179606 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Rubbish 'inevitable'. 18 games is entirely appropriate for what the CABL is....a development league at best.

Reply #179618 | Report this post

inevitable  
Years ago

Oh my bad anon, your completely on the money.

If this is a development league then the players need to be exposed to more competition, not less.

Any player with an injury (ankle, back etc..) could quite possible miss 1\3 or more of the season !!!

They should poll players, coaches and club volunteers and find out how many like the existing format compared to an extended format which would include abolishing the "summer-silly league".

Its been done to death on this forum and im not looking for a soap box stand off, its just extremely disappointing to those that PLAY the game.

Reply #179640 | Report this post

spicey  
Years ago

More importantly, what about the players who want to go out on the weekend for a few drinks. having 3 double headers in a row makes that pretty difficult;)

Reply #179656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon...CABL is not a development league! What are Rees, Wilson, Mann, Phillips, Truslove, Crothers, Krause, Thompson, Mathews, Ottey, Oakley, Mac-Taylor, Arnold, Sullivan, Breeding, Haydon, Bowley, Gower, Sheppeard, Hambour, Quigley,Reardon, Pilkington, Kosmider and others doing in the league? They are trying to win the bloody thing not develop their game.

An u23 league would be a development league!

I like the conference set up. South conference of Southern, South, Sturt, Forestville and Eastern.

And North of North, West, Woodville, Norwood, Centrals.

Play every one in your conference 3 times and from the other conference just twice. 22 games.

Then could have an top 3 or top 4 from each conference play off in conference finals to get two champions, one from the North and one from the South who play off in the Grand Final.

Now one argument to this will be its unfair because one conference will be tougher than the other....get over it! It all evens out. This year for example the North conference would be tougher, but think back 3 or 4 years when Norwwod and West were ordinary and eastern was a powerhouse!..and how many grand finals have Forestville and Sturt played each other in?

By the way I think double headers are good, but I don't know why we have to have every long weekend off...the SANFL don't, so why should we?

Reply #179657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

welcome to the world of SEABL. Double headers are more the norm than not. CABL is a part of the second tier comp inthis country, so the players should be up to it.

Reply #179706 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

In the South Conference of the SEABL when you head over to Tasmania, you play 3 games in 3 days! At least there isn't much travel in between games for these teams.
I actually don't mind that conference split that anonymous posted, I guess the only down side would be if one conference was stronger than another like the NBA is at the moment.

Reply #179750 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

You could fix the problem of a strong vs weak conference by playing crossover finals from the start. The finals system could look like this.

1st North vs 3rd South
2N vs 2S
3N vs 1S

3 winners plus highest ranked loser go thru to semis and then winners of the semis play off in the GF.

Reply #179757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually "Panther", all teams in the SEABL play each other twice because of reduced teams in the conferences now - 13 home games and 13 away games. And the trip to Tasmania hasn't been 3 games in 3 days for a few yrs now, its only Hobart and NW Tas with Hobart games Friday and NW games on Saturday.

Launceston is only in the womens league now.

But in the past for the SEABL teams they did have 3 games in Tas over the weekend, then 3 games in Sydney over a weekend for 1 or 3 seasons, followed by the double header in Canberra and a 3rd game in Sydney for 1 season.

The double header isn't uncommon, the Tassie teams have double headers on their trips to the mainland, teams going to the ACT have a double header, normal double headers of 2 away games or 1 home and 1 away a round. Probably the only questionable one this season is teams with a home game 1 night and the next night away vs Southern Districts in Brisbane - more travel then the norm double header.

Reply #179771 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I was referring to when I played in the SEABL back in 1901..I mean 2001. I think that was the last year they had 3 Tassie teams.
But your right, some nights we would play Friday night then catch a 6 hour bus ride to Ballarat. A lot of teams that visited Mt Gambier had to do the same.
We only had to do the Canberra double with the Gunners and AIS. But there was a lot of travel involved and still is compared to the Central Conference.

Reply #179791 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I was referring to when I played in the SEABL back in 1901..I mean 2001. I think that was the last year they had 3 Tassie teams.
But your right, some nights we would play Friday night then catch a 6 hour bus ride to Ballarat. A lot of teams that visited Mt Gambier had to do the same.
We only had to do the Canberra double with the Gunners and AIS. But there was a lot of travel involved and still is compared to the Central Conference.

Reply #179792 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Panther, were you referring to when you played?

Reply #179813 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

panther double post is that sign of age memory going 2001 or 1901 old ballers just keep on dribbling

Reply #179908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754