Ingles13
Years ago

Kings Chasing Smyth

Just caught a segment on channel 7 saying that the kings are chasing Phil Smyth and could send a formal offer as early as tomorow...

Smyth to Kings?!?!

Thoughts on this?

Topic #15204 | Report this topic

lethal5  
Years ago

Good luck to him. Channel 7 news said the Kings are expected to make him an offer tomorrow!

Reply #179661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah,

interesting that he was interviewed today, and is expecting a formal offer tomorrow considering recent comments he has made on Cornsey and KG that he would not coach for any other NBL team apart from the 36ers.

Also interesting what players he will attract, doubtless he will not go without Steve Breheny.

Reply #179662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Luck to him. If he is as shit as everyone says, no one should care as they will be the easy beats.

Good luck Phil - with a low budget for player, i guess you may need it.

Reply #179663 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Well since he was knocked back by the 36ers he may now look at other offers.
If Phil signs with the Kings would that put them in a good position to get Hodge shal he not make the NBA?? as he spoke highly of Phil.
If Phil did coach them and rumours i think i saw of CJ being interested in the kings on ozhoops along with Saville (if he stays) and Hodge and a few guys like Hinder (if he stays) gives Phil a half decent team to work with and he probably would do a good job with Bruton and Saville freeing them up and helping them flourish.

Reply #179665 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Regardless of what Sixer fans think of him & what he may have said recently, I think it would be a shame & a huge loss to the NBL if he was no longer involved with the league.

So being an unashamed huge fan of his since his playing days, I hope he gets the gig & has some success.... just not against the Sixers!

Good luck to The General.

Reply #179666 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Think he still has alot to offer the league, any marketability the Kings can get is good! Good luck

Reply #179670 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Im Back.......

Reply #179672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Phil (in non gay way) and I hate the Kings so I would hate to see this happen.

Reply #179673 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

it would not be nice to be playing against him but all the best to him, i really think it was just a case of the message getting stale here and all parties just needing a new start.

Reply #179674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll believe that the Kings are interested when I hear it from their end. Suggestion from that way seems to be that they have no legitimate interest?

What happened to the AFL coaching thing?

Reply #179676 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

imagine the crowd response though when we play at home against them, would he booed at so badly he would cry, or would the crowd cheer for him, interesting

Reply #179679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Flanders and Mr Burns in that picture?

Reply #179681 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

That is some rather sturdy input Isaac , obviously well informed no doubt .
Be interesting to see where ol pockets smiith ends up .

Reply #179682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not be a popular choice among Kings fans, to put it very (very) lightly. Would be interesting. He'd need to win very big and very fast. Fans there are pretty much at the last straw stage with managment, and they detest Smyth.

Reply #179686 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, 2 of the above posts have been made unavailable because no doubt they have forgotten about the ban on a certain name, but I laugh that its acceptable in the heading. Does this ban need to continue now that this individual is no longer employed by the 36ers? Does he really care anymore what Adelaide says about him?

Reply #179692 | Report this post

Curb  
Years ago

Pathetically he would care I'd say!

Reply #179698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To see a bit of what Sydney fans think of the possibility, head here. Probably a stronger reaction than to that thread ages ago that wondered about Goorjian coaching the 36ers!

At least one "in the know" Kings-affiliated fan on OzHoops saying that Phil is interested in the Kings' job rather than the other way around and that the SA media speculation is incorrect.

Reply #179700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good old Channel Phil hey....

Reply #179705 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

the question is when the kings play the 36ers at the dome, what type of ovation does he get? boo? cheer or just normal?

Reply #179709 | Report this post

kingdom  
Years ago

who are ur top 3 choices for the job..

i think Billy T will get it..

Reply #179723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect Bruce Bolden may get a role. There's an OzHooper called "aa" that seems to appear whenever people are talking about Bolden (they were really active when he left the Pigs, for example) - hit some of the Kings threads right now and you'll see that they've become particularly excited about a rumour they've heard.

Reply #179728 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

in that photo of phil, the combover's so convincing you can barely notice the hairloss !!

Reply #179729 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Repotrted in today's Herald-Sun that Sydney is set to sign Tomlinson to the head coaching role.
I honestly thought and expected to see him follow Goorj down to South Dragons...

Reply #179737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The possibility of Phil at the Kings is different to the possibility of Goorjian at the 36ers. It's not a hatred built through years of spicy competition. There's no respect for Phil among Kings fans. He's not abused, he's mocked. He's considered pathetic.

Thankfully, it just sounds like this is all Phil talking himself up and nothing more.

Reply #179743 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Volde would have leaked his "Sydney are interested in me" story in an effort to get Perth to rush in and offer him a contract.

That's the way he works, isn't it?

Reply #179748 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Dicko, corrrect.

Reply #179754 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Most interesting thing about this is.... The name Phil is appearing on the title and in the text.

Long live Voldemort!!!

:)

By the way, if i were at the dome on Voldys return, he would get pretty much the same as every visitor (excluding the obvious)gets..a single clap and some explanations as to what he is doing wrong duuring the game.

Reply #179763 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Damn..apparently i was premature in my celebration?? although definitly the name appears in other parts of this post??

"edit"
Most interesting thing about this is.... The name Pil Smyt is appearing on the title and in the text.

Long live Voldemort!!!

:)

By the way, if i were at the dome on Voldys return, he would get pretty much the same as every visitor (excluding the obvious)gets..a single clap and some explanations as to what he is doing wrong duuring the game.

Reply #179764 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

ok sorry for the double post...dunno whats happening there?

Reply #179765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I edited your other post. The name shows in some others posts because I edit them, assuming they're pretty safe, so they can bypass the filter.

Reply #179767 | Report this post

king fo life  
Years ago

billy t is the best choice for the kings.

he also can coach his ass off..so i think loosing goorj isnt as bad as ppl think although it would of been great to keep the same team..i cant wait to see billy t have a crack.

Reply #179768 | Report this post

The Colonel  
Years ago

I think ex coach has a lot to offer, I rekon he just got stale here.

Good luck to him, his passion may be renewed because he seemed to coach without passion last season.

Reply #179782 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Spoke to some people at lunch who said they had spoken with Phil and he told them he knew nothing about this.He was up on a camp with his daughters school at Port Vincent so suggest it is nothing more than a rumuor.

Reply #179787 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Please Please dont post anymore of Fab. Phils self promotions please.
Scotty - MAl where are all our signings with all these free players

Reply #179804 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Internal signings are under control. You have Maher, Davidson, Ballinger and Cooper all signed.

External signing are NOT ALLOWED to take place yet, But I would suggest Holmes will be organised pretty quick after the deadline.

Hodge has confirmed his preference is Adelaide if no NBA gig comes around, although his asking price is supposedly VERY high. But a Plan b AND c AND d, will be put in place. Hodge is their first preference though.

To expect anything more until the deadline passes is just stupid.

Reply #179809 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Of course thanks Dicko or Ninnys lapdog to not have anyone done by now is stupid.We all ready know Holmes is done should be a big crowd drawer.

Reply #179812 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Nobody said they don't have anyone done, just that they don't have anyone to announce.

Expecting news NOW is stupid. Wait and see is all anyone can do.

Reply #179814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still crying about willie?

Reply #179815 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why would people think Phil would be booed at the Dome if he coached an opposition team? Its not as though he walked out on the club. His contract came to an end, he re applied for the position but it was given to Ninnis. I don't think he has done anything wrong to deserve jeers. When ex Sixers come to play at the Dome they are generally cheered, so what would be so different here? Phil left the club on mutually agreeable terms, therefore he should be welcome to come back as a visitor.

Reply #179853 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Dicko did you check Sydney papers apparently Morrisey is saying Kings are interested in Phil something must be going on.Looks like your slipping facts wrong again in fact maybe you can check with your boy see if he could confirm it.You may get a big surprise like your wrong again

Reply #179932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joker, the SMH is announcing Tomlinson as the new Kings coach. The Channel 7 story mentioning Phil said that he could get an offer as early as whenever - must've been off-track.

Reply #179933 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Fair enough Issac just dont like Dicko having a go sayin Phil made it up when its in the Sydney paper by there writer.Fine if you dont like the guy but at least be fair.I understand he got an approach and turned it down saying he wants to have a year off.

Reply #179935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The mentions in Sydney appear to have come after Ch 7's report and don't seem to be worded anywhere near as strongly. No idea where Ch 7 got their "chasing Phil" and "could make an offer tomorrow" deal from. Like Dicko, I assumed that it was Phil (unless he has a PR rep doing it on his behalf) speaking to Ch 7's reporter.

AFAIK, high profile athletes and identities feed the media stories to maintain their public profile (which in turn strengthens their position in negotiations). As Dicko said, this sort of news in particular may have helped in negotiations with another club if he were actively seeking a job.

BTW, for those who are interested, apparently Tomlinson has a son (Nate) coming through the ranks (college bound?) who is considered a solid prospect. Anyone know more about him?

Reply #179937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754