Isaac
Years ago

Kings appoint Tomlinson as new coach

Long-time assistant coach Bill Tomlinson has been appointed head coach of the Sydney Kings following Brian Goorjian's departure.

Embattled owner Tim Johnston is looking to sell a majority interest in the NBL side and his controversial fuel technology company Firepower will no longer be a sponsor, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Former Kings owner Mike Wrublewski is working with Johnston to find a buyer after a cash-flow problem this past season.

Source: Kings promote Tomlinson to head coach

Topic #15219 | Report this topic

joker  
Years ago

Cash flow wow does that sound familiar Tomlinson had a year to go on his contract so would of been cheap there go the Kings wont make the 8 this season get what you pay for.

Reply #179934 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What a very long sentence.

Interesting move. Though, the Sixers did just hire a long-time assistant coach, so it's tough be critical.

Reply #179936 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I should point out I'm not saying it was a bad move, just not exactly a big name to replace THE biggest name coach of the NBL.

Reply #179939 | Report this post

king fo life  
Years ago

Joker u have no idea what u are talkin about..They get what they pay for..U have no idea how billy t coaches and have no idea what he can do..We can make a personal bet if u dont think the kings will make the top 8..

Reply #179942 | Report this post

1 dream  
Years ago

Good on ya billy..Look forward to you leading the boys next year..the kings will continue to be a power house in this league.."Joker" i dont think u have much of a idea..maybe thats why u call urself "Joker"...

Reply #179943 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He coached them once before right? Always remember him being pretty ordinary. But hey Kings fan wont come when they are winning, so maybe they'll come if they suck hahaha

Cant see them making the 8 if all the layers rumored to leave go, although, IF they stay they will must prob add years to their careers as the trainings wont be so ridiculously intense!

Reply #179952 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He knows his stuff and has been following Goorj as his assistant for years. Goorj would not have him there by his side if he were not good enough.
I'm sure he will do well. He is a fine teacher of skills and works well with young players. Let's face it the Kings will be rebuilding and will be forced to base things around young players!

Reply #179954 | Report this post

The Colonel  
Years ago

What are you Kings fans on? What ever it is I'd sure like some.

Agree with joker 100%.

I'm sure Tomlinson has coached them before, pretty sure he even coached Tasmainia at one stage as well.

If he is the same guy I'm thinking of, both teams sucked when he had them. Pretty sure he may have coached a WNBL team to a championship, but NBL v WNBL is chalk & cheese.

Cant wait to start pounding them next season, because 1 thing used to be a cert in the NBL; when you came up against the Kings you could mark down a big fat W.

Oh my god! What is the NBL going to do now???

Reply #179963 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

It's one thing to be Goorj's assistant, and have access to his methodology and coaching system - but unfortunately for Tomlinson he will never have the same respect from his players as what Goorj receives. After all, love him or hate him, Goorj does get the very best from his players, and then demands more. It is more to do with his personality, than his technical ability.

Reply #179969 | Report this post

1 dream  
Years ago

I dont think u guys can say that..how do u know how the players respect him.unless u are involved with the kings u can not comment on respect..also if i remember correctly last time tomlinson got the job he didnt not have any of his players..he came into a very bad situation with alot of bad players..im sure this time it will be alot different..good luck billy..

Reply #179994 | Report this post

The Colonel  
Years ago

(#179994)And this time around he is coming "into a very bad situation with alot of bad players" + no $$$ to buy any.

If he was so well respected why didnt he pick up another NBL gig after his last stint at the Kings?

The Kings are dead; long live the kings!

Reply #180011 | Report this post

OvErTiMe  
Years ago

He was long time friends with brett brown..He actully played a major part in bringin brown to the kings..You haters should do some research before u open ur mouths..

Reply #180048 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"Cash flow wow does that sound familiar Tomlinson had a year to go on his contract so would of been cheap there go the Kings wont make the 8 this season get what you pay for."

Hi everyone my names Joker and I write really long senteces without any punctuation whatsover annoying isn't really hard to read hey makes your head hurt after a while doesn't it man i should've used a comma back there nah forget that Ill just keep on going and going

Reply #180062 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Never said Tomlinson isn't respected - it is just that he is replacing arguably the most respected coach in the NBL. I wonder how many players have answered back or questioned BG - compared with other coaches in the league? You can see the loyalty that Goorjian breeds amongst his players - I just cannot see any coach replacing that environment at Sydney anytime soon.

Reply #180069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean an empty stadium, fan-free environment right?

Reply #180132 | Report this post

OvErTiMe  
Years ago

THERE WAS 10 THOUSAND PLUS AT THE LAST GAME

Reply #180161 | Report this post

love life  
Years ago

So does this mean that it wouldnt matter what coach comes into coach the kings he wouldnt be respected..and wouldnt be able to get anything done..

Reply #180192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OvErTiMe, I knew someone would say that.

Guess how many there were at game 1. 3,000. Gues how many there were throughout the season, 2500-3500. Shocking, especially from Australia's biggest city. The last game of the season was a very good sign that their support might be finally growing.

Reply #180197 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754