ooh aah ebi ere
Years ago

NBL WILL FAIL WITH POINTS CAP IN PLACE

nbl cant go forward with this cap in place. prevents hgh profile players entering the league..

i believe without it teams would be even anyway due to salary cap etc..

Lets hope this is the last season with the points cap in place

on a different note how are the nbl's negotiations going with fox sports?

Topic #15247 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The points cap was brought in to stop salary cap breaches, it is not a new thing

Reply #180169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they police the cap properly and prevent breaches?

Reply #180174 | Report this post

Curb  
Years ago

There must be a better way of policing the cap system, instead of making it difficult, in a way, for the better players. If I was borderline NBA, but knew most probably never going to make a career there, I'd be taking a huge risk by accepting a 10 day contract etc, knowing that I'd then have to be known as a 10 for the rest of my career in the NBL. Say Longely had been fit to play a couple of 'swan song' seasons in the NBL, clearly not the player he was at his peak, would he have still been known as a 10? As a league, we need to have as many stars as possible playing on our shores, to turn guys like Luke, which is what is indirectly happening, is a shame and an embarrassment for a league, that simply isn't that flash! Shame Chuck shame on you!

Reply #180181 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Since Chuck has been CEO we have changed from winter to summer comp., lost free to air TV and now apparently having problems with the points system.
So just wondering, what has he been good for? ...

Reply #180183 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Actually, Chuck was not responsible for the move to summer, it was the previous American dude - Rick Burton.

Reply #180184 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Ohhh another American Dude,.
What's the story with free to air v Foxtel. Do we pay them or do they pay us?

Reply #180185 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Foxtel pay the NBL...peanuts really. Think I remember the deal being about a million for 3 years??? Can anyone correct me?

Reply #180186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Wrong. Burton only got the job a few years ago, move to summer was long before he got the job.

Reply #180187 | Report this post

Frog 86  
Years ago

Burton signed the Fox, Virgin Blue, Philips and Hummer deals.

Reply #180194 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Which high profile players have been prevented from playing in the NBL because of the points cap? There are plenty of teams out there, with plenty of points to use. Just because we may miss out on Luke (which is what I assume this is about), doesn't mean he's not allowed to play in the league.....

LC, it was reported somewhere recently that the Fox deal was worth 1 million per season.

Reply #180199 | Report this post

Frog 86  
Years ago

What ever happened to Derek Moore? If that was his name. I remember the sixers had trouble signing him mid season due to the points rule.

Reply #180213 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Whats wrong with a simple salary cap?

Reply #180237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Load of Crap
Get rid of the old players and free the $ up so that the new exciting players gte the money./

Reply #180245 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Personnally i thin the move to summer has been great. No longer competing with the AFL, NFL, and the upcomming soccer league.

Reply #180266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754