Isaac
Years ago

Official: Goorjian to Dragons, three year deal

Finally, it's official:

Five-time National Basketball League championship-winning coach Brian Goorjian will coach the Crazy John's South Dragons for the next three seasons, Dragons chairman Mark Cowan announced today.

The most successful coach in NBL history - he was named coach of the league's 25-year anniversary team - Goorjian joins the Dragons after winning three national titles with the Sydney Kings, whom he led to the grand final in five of his six seasons in the harbour city.

Media Release on SouthDragons.com.au

OzHo readers, please excuse my re-use of a lame joke (Boti, stop reading here!) - in a follow-up announcement, Goorjian insists that he is Shane Heal's childhood idol.

Topic #15281 | Report this topic

ballin is life  
Years ago

Gonna be a MASSIVE turnaround for the club next yr. From players to fans, there will be a huge boost and will be bouncing with confidence from now until the start of the season no doubt. Will be interesting to see what players come to the Dragons as Goorjian is now Head Coach. It'll definitely help ma boy Joe.

Reply #180529 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

I tell you what the Sydney fans will miss him being around.

All 15 of them...

Reply #180534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently getting Tomlinson as HC of the Kings is what's kept most of their roster (besides Worthington and the imports) there.

Reply #180540 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What does this mean for Jacob, would you want to leave a team where the coach has a pattern of placing his NBL talent into the national team?

Reply #180541 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Jacob is a 6er

Reply #180547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And considering some of the Dragons targets, he'd be benched there anyway.

Reply #180548 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Jacob wouldn't be wanted by the Dragons now. They all of a sudden became a real team. Its for the best if he returns to this hoax of a team.

Reply #180550 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From MLS on OzHo recapping a SEN radio interview with Goorj:

Said that when choosing where to coach, the ownership structure is crucial, and Mark and Ruffy are "strong" and "respected". Also, the club plays in a great stadium and the best team in the comp is just down the road.

Therefore, he said, the decision was a "no brainer."

He's already pumping up the derby. He said his goal right now is to go down the road, into the cage, and "give them hell." I like the sound of that!!

Reply #180600 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Reply #180604 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

What does this do for Ingles chances of playing for the Dragons?

I dont think Goorj likes him that much

Reply #180605 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I hope Ingles stays there. If wortho/smith or either kings imports sign, then they could have a nice team

PG: Draper or import/Martin
SG: Smith/Cheap rookie 1 on points cap
SF: Ingles/Herbert
PF: Wortho/Horvath
C: Import/Burston

Fairly good team they could have there but it will be hard to keep that under the salary cap...
Ingles and Herbert would both be 1's from rookie contracts, burston would be low but wortho, draper, second import and Smith would take up the majority of their points cap...

Reply #180622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754