jj11
Years ago

When Newely for nba?

who can give me an estimate of if or when Newely will be playing NBA?

Topic #1529 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #17429 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I estimate somewhere within the next 10 years.

Reply #17430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2006/2007

Reply #17431 | Report this post

Nba Live?  
Years ago

Can he actually obtain an NBA body thought? NBA level D?

Hopefully if he did make it he would play better than Erik Burdon does on NBA Live. His girlfriend Renae (spelling?) defeated him.

Sorry just had to find a thread to drop that info on. Mad props to Ren.

Reply #17433 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

how old is he?

Reply #17434 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

He needs to become good first

Reply #17435 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

He's 19

Reply #17436 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Newley already knocked back many college contracts to play here. I think he is gonna stay in Aus and play until he makes boomers, which will be for the 2006 commonwealth games, then he will go play NBA once he has established himself as a boomer. Its pretty obvious as a 19 year old that he will make it, he is already a dominating player in the NBL, if only Stacker gave him some real courttime

Reply #17439 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

Are his skills really that good to be in the NBA? I haven't seen a lot of him, but he does seem to throw up a lot of crap. And he's way too skinny, imagine a wirey 6'5 running into Shaq, he would be out of it

Reply #17440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too skinny? Two words: Reggie Miller

Reply #17442 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Skills are definately there, he is probably australias best chance of playing nba, apart from maybe bogut. and for the skinny part yeah, but he is stronger than he looks, and remember he is only 19, give him two years to build on his frame, he will be laughing

Reply #17444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Ferraris, Bentleys, Hummers, backyard bowling alleys, full court indoor basketball court, next to the indoor pool for Newley within the next decade.

Reply #17446 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

In 10kg's time- 5 years experience- around 2009 i reckon

Reply #17449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I've seen (admittedly, two games) I think he'd be a real chance.

What I think is absolutely criminal is that he is a genuine talent, is flat-out entertaining to watch, AND Australian basketball needs all the excitement it can get, but Stacker limits him to less than 30 minutes a game.

He's not just a flashy player jacking up shots -- he's shooting at 50%!

Reply #17456 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I think the next Australian to make the NBA will Luke Schensher. I would doubt Newley would make the NBA. Se what he can do at NBL level before anything. If he doesn't go to college in the States I think that he would lesson his changes of playing in the big league.

Reply #17458 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Any of you who have seen him play, let alone if youve been lucky enough to play with him, know he has a shitload of raw talent. Give him two years of conditioning and refining, and if he wants he will play NBA. having spoken to him one might wonder if thats high on his priority list, if it was you might assume he would have taken one of the college scholarships...

Reply #17459 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Even if he goes to College he is not guarenteed a draft spot. Schenscher at the momnet has agents falling over him, but in saying that, he may go in the second round rather than the first. Newley could still make the big league while playing for the Boomers but a lot has to go right for hime. Right coach, court time etc. Look at Maher for an example. Not saying that he was NBA material but was never given the chance to show how good he wass to the world.

Reply #17462 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

true about maher, although without having seen much of maher as a youngster, i dare say newley has the potential to be better. i know it sounds old but again, he is only 19. give him time. if he wants to play nba he will

Reply #17464 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Only time will tell. I think his sister is a great player as well.

Reply #17465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupidest Post Ever.

Reply #17466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed in the know dont take brads glory away from him

Reply #17468 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Next Aussie in, Bogut. He's having a good year and the Utes are putting some W's on the board. His averages are up. In the last 5 games he has scored 24, 28, 23, 22 and 25, and sucked in 11, 14, 12,17 and 15 boards. Bogut is looking at Top 20. (Projected at going at pick 18)

Luke is projected as going in the second round, and his numbers are also up on last year. Georgia Tech is 10-1, and looking towards a repeat of last year.

On Newley, 2008/2009. Gives him a chance to establish himself plus spend sometime in the weights room.

Reply #17475 | Report this post

brooksy  
Years ago

you cant sa to brad spend some time in the weights room and say luke will go in the second round.
brad is bigger than luke ne way. you cant base a pick on how big they are, thats crap, ne1 can put weight on in one year. is the nba the be all and end all of basketball ne way?
sure the money if there but is that the best way to measure skill? or is the olympics? im not sure.
nba get all the money but dont win the olympics?!?!?! are the boomers better already better now than they were at the olympics? with bogut schensher and newley, thats a pretty good combo, add 2 other players thats pretty good. if newly took 50% of my teams shots i wouldnt be too woried.

Reply #17479 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I don't know about the NBA, but I do know this:

Adelaide, get off your collective backsides and sign this kid to the 36ers. If he's contracted long-term, well, sign him when his current deal expires!!!

Reply #17483 | Report this post

Adelaide don't need him, they have Maher and Farley who are much better than Newley

Plus they have Ng, give him 30 mins a game and I'm sure he would equal the stats of Newley

Reply #17490 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Brooksy,

What does 'brad is bigger than luke ne way'refer to?????

Luke is 'projected' at going in the second round. Have a look at www.nbadraft.net . They were on the money with their 'projections' last year.

Reply #17491 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Adelaide don't need Newley? Maher and Farley are much better?

Maher is 13 years older than Newley (if my maths is right), and Farley is an import.

If I had to pick Maher and Newley right now, it would be a tough selection. Newley has another 15 years ahead of him ..... if he stays in Australia.

Reply #17498 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Newley will be a star, Bogut will be the next Longley in the NBA with more O Skills.

Schensher will hopefully make it also, Adam Quick and Luke Kendal should turn out to be solid if not spectacular players- the future of Aussie Ball looks a little brighter.

Reply #17510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newely is shit he will neva make it he is good enough for nbl thats it

Reply #17552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just cos ur crap

Reply #17554 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If Georgia Tech make the Final Four again, Schenscher will go first round, along with Bogut.

Anyone reckon Luke Neville at teh Utes and Daniel Dillon at the Wildcats will be legitimate NBA bodies (as a C and PG respectively) in two to three years?

Reply #17557 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

come on Schenscher is nothing but tall.he wont make it.bogut has a good chance of getting somewhere high in b ball.

Reply #17558 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

cheeze did you see him stop okafor last year?

(....who's just recorded 17 (?) double doubles in a row in teh NBA)

Reply #17559 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

to the dumbass who posted newley is shit and can only play nbl....i can't wait to see him make it in the nba and make you eat your words.

And use your name chicken, i can't stand people who critisize then dont have the guts to put a name in

Reply #17563 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

re Newley not going past NBL, I'm sure you said that he'd never go past the AIS when he'd started there too.

It's pretty rare that you see a player of that age without college experience post those kinds of numbers in their first year. Holmes is a stand-out at ABA level but took three years to get to 12-15PPG in the NBL. Even players coming to the NBL with college behind them don't always do this.

That's what makes me think that we have a star in the making. Have a look at Andrew Gaze's first year in the NBL -- he was the last prodigal talent, IMO, had college behind him, and has gone on to 600 games, Olympic experience, etc, etc.

Reply #17570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, being just "tall" may well be enough for Luke to make it.

He's not the go to man at Georgia Tech, but still doing pretty well. They're 9-2 this year, and he's averaging 10.1 and 7.5 in less than 25 MPG. Career best stats in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, FT% despite playing fewer minutes than 2003-04.

Reply #17573 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Seems like a lot of dumasses on here. Cheezeburger, Schenscher has done more than just be big. How about you get off your fat ass and look at his stats on the NBA rookie draft. I reckon they know more about him than you. He has proved himself for a quite a few years now and I think you are embarrassing yourself and showing how much you don't know about basketball by saying what you are.

Reply #17574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did Gaze have college behind him I seem to remember him first playing as a teenager and his college stints came much later in his career

Reply #17576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His NBL record shows stats for 1984-2005 without a break.

He played for Seton Hall in 1989, so he might've been attending college in the off-season?

According to the stats, he was averaging 29 PPG at 19 years of age, and attended the Olympics that same year.

Reply #17581 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

To get clarification on a few things here, have they changed the rules now in regards to playing college? I thought the rule was you couldn't play college ball in the states if you had played as a professional. Hence this would mean Newley now couldn't attend college over there. Yet didn't Gaze play NBL then go over to Seaton Hall? Paul Rogers played for the sixers then went to Gonzaga??? Am I wrong in assuming this?

Reply #17583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rules changed after those two cases, AFAIK.

Newley rescinded the opportunity of college when he signed his contract with the Crocs.

Reply #17587 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yeah pretty sure Rogers went to Gonzaga after playing 7 games for Adelaide in 1993. David Stiff also went to Boston U after playing for Hobart in 1992. Gaze was at Seaton Hall the year they went to the final four.

But yeah I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed no more. Didn't Oscar have college interest Isaac? Did he forfeit his chance to go in his rookie season in Adelaide?

Reply #17588 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Opps too slow to post. My question already answered.

Reply #17590 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There will be two young Aussies in the NBA in 2005/06. Reckon any of the U23 Crocs or the U19 Emu champions will follow them?

Reply #17594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DC -- yes, Oscar had an offer from LMU and had been flown over to visit. He was on the bench with the Sixers as a development player and in one game with the Sixers having a large lead, was given the chance to go on court but said no to keep the choice open.

He chose to sign with Adelaide over the LMU offer.

I think there are restrictions with college-hopeful players suiting for an ABA team where team-mates are receiving payments, but I can't remember the specifics as to how it works.

Reply #17611 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

newley aint makin nba, he may well play for the boomers in time, but there are players like newley all over america, he seemes so good in the nbl cause no-one else is athletic as him. can u imagine him coming off the bench and trying to guard a ginobli of flip murray type player. NOCHANCE!

Reply #17613 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

andrew get a clue before you make stupid comments.

Reply #17633 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on Richard, be fair, Andrew is entitled to his opinion too, just like you and everyone else on this sight is. To be honest, i've seen and played against Newley and to be honest I don't think he'll make NBA. Good on him if he does as he's an exciting player. But I just think it's another level that he won't be able to jump to. He'll be a great NBL player and should follow in players like Sam Mckinnon, Matt Nielson, Glen Saville, Jason Smith, etc shoes but not the NBA.

Reply #17636 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

true, it was a bit harsh, but when i see another 6'7 PG with the athleticism, shooting ability and awareness that newley has, ill be happy to admit his chances of NBA are diminshed. nooone seems to remember the fact that he is only 19, while most NBA draft picks are from college, and at least 21, if not older, so look oput for newley when his body matures

Reply #17637 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

panther, are you still a south player? what are you playing?

Reply #17639 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer i'm still a South player? What do you mean "what are you playing"?? ABL???

Reply #17640 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

yeah, thats what i was getting at. how old are you mate?

Reply #17644 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

2 words for you richard. defense and soft.

Reply #17646 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

heres some for you. 6'7 PG, athletic, smart, mature minded, and shoots well over 50%. find a fault in that

Reply #17648 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

hes barely 6'6 and hes a slasher maybe a 2 guard defintely not a point

Reply #17651 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Richard, i'm playing ABL back in Adelaide for South this year and i'm 27. And just quietly Newley isn't 6'7 like you suggested. He's listed as being 188cm (6'2) on the NBL website, even though I think that's underdone him a bit, he's about 6'4, 6'5.

Reply #17652 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Panther I would say more in the Andrew Gaze level if he stays in the NBL.

Certainly Nielson and McKinnon were toughted as NBA players as you probably can remember. The problem was they were great athletes but did not have Newleys outside game.

In terms of Saville and Jason Smith. Newley is miles ahead of these guys as they took years to develop.

I think Newley will go NBA at some stage in the next 5-6 yrs.

Reply #17654 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

height aside (ive heard reports of him being 6'9, which i know for a fact isnt true) but for andrew i doubt you would call him a slasher, if you had seen as much of his ball as i have, you might see it diferently

Reply #17655 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

6-6 to 6-7

Reply #17656 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

thought as much nito
but you cant really trust sources, like i said ive seen 6'9, and panther seeing a 6'2, thats a 7 inch difference. but still, i think 6'6-6'7 is about right

Reply #17658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

richard, I'd add "fearless" to that list. First game back in Adelaide, he tried a spin move on Farley. Now, Farley is never listed as a stand-out defensive player, but how many times do you see a rookie try something like that on the opposition's marquee player away from home?

In the most recent visit of the Crocs to Adelaide, I noticed that Farley fouled Newley quite heavily on the break to stop him getting off anything showy. It really struck me as being harder than Farley would normally foul someone on the break.

Reply #17666 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I saw him back about 6 months ago and he would've been 6'4, 6'5, now I know they say your still groing till 19 but are you saying he's grown 2-3 inches?
Hey i'm definately agreeing with and saying he's got game, i'm not arguing on that one, but I think he needs to bulk up a bit which hopefully he will and continue to train and develop his game. The other thing is, how sound is he mentally??? He definately shows he'll jack it up whenever he feels like it but he tends to get peeved off a bit and thinks he's being hard done by all the time. When is too much attitude too much??? How do you control that? Is that why Stacker is restricting his minutes???

Reply #17667 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Hahaha nah, I'm saying I think ur a bad judge of height (well on this occasion at least) :), but its OK because whoever wrote up his height on Nbl.com.au is real bad.

Reply #17671 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

How bad can you be when you guard a player you tend to stand next him during the game quite a bit!!!

Reply #17673 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crocs site says 198cm which is 6'5.8".

Let's go with 6'5" - 6'6".

Reply #17677 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Was just about to say the same thing, although my calculation was 2.54cm=1 Inch, therefore 6'4.9. So i'll allow up to 6'5 to be nice...

Reply #17681 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Using 2.54 (I used 2.5454) still gives you 6'5.9".

You're out by an inch.

Reply #17685 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

He has a shot but he will need to develop a hell of a lot. 6'5" athletic guys are more common then fleas on a mangy dog. Stacker is playing him the right minutes. Keeps him hungry. Maher played around the same minutes and he had a pretty good carreer. Other players got more and where are they now. Lachlin Armfield. what happened to other rookies of the year. If they were brought on a slower pace they may still be in the league.

Reply #17687 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Conversion of cms into feet is 198cm multiplied by 0.0328 = 6.4944, i'm sticking with 6'5 max!

Reply #17688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're forgetting that that is 6.49 feet, not 6 feet and 4.9 inches. This is why you have to pity US kids stuck in an imperial system -- they have to remember this at all times or their astronauts lose a Mars Rover...

0.49 * 12 (inches in a foot) gives you 5.88.

6'5.88" (see post #17677)

Doing it via Google

However you want to calculate it, he's a decent height for a SG and a better shot for the NBA than any other young player in the NBL today!

Reply #17693 | Report this post

jj11  
Years ago

hey jay,answering your question of where Lachlin Armfield is now,my brother-in-law has a half decent photo of me,just about to dunk on him,that was 3 years after his NBL ROY success,i was 16,in Mildura where he played a few years there for our ABA team.admittedly,i missed the dunk,but hey,you can't tell that by looking at the photo,so let's just keep that between us.and i think newely will be there in bout 4 or 5 years,after he gets bigger,a commonwealth games and maybe even an olympic games under his belt,unless the lakers wake up to themselves earlier than that and realise they someone that can actually play,and take him.

Reply #17721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad is taller than 6'5..seeing as though you, panther, played on him you should know that! that boy, has the ability to jump to the level of nba, just like he jumped to state, ais, and nbl. anybody who says he is a shit player ask yourself this, if he is shit, how did he manage to get into nbl? how did he manage to stand out to so many people? how did he manage to make it starting 5 in the all-stars game? and how did he manage to be one of the biggest competition to be nbl rookie of the year, all this at only 19..its common sence, c'mon!!

Reply #17724 | Report this post

whatever  
Years ago

Newley... is gonna be the next gaze. The guy lives abd breathes basketball. NBA is most certainly an achieveable destination but he will have to be a boomer first (which he will be). Size is a factor but he has time and ability to build himself an NBA body.

Bogut definately top 20 if not 10 in the next NBA draft. Luke Sch??? possibly first round.

Reply #17726 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Newley averages 14ppg in 22 minutes. You would envisage he would play 30-35 mpg next year and 40 plus the year after. Even if his scoring rate doesn't improve over these seasons he could realistically average 25ppg plus in his 3rd season. Only Gaze (possibly Heal) have produced this sort of scoring. Its no coincidence these are the only two Aussie guards to play in the NBA during the history of the NBL.

Only time will tell if Newley has the game to play in the NBA but it is not hard to see scouts showing great interest in him.

Reply #17729 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Anonymous, you don't count his spikey hair when you measure their height...6'5 max.

Reply #17743 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

6'6

Reply #17758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, obviously your having problems with your inches, seems your having problems with your age!!! aren't you closer to 37 mate???

Reply #17854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's talk on OzHoops about an NBA scout going to Townsville to watch Newley. Apparently his progress has been followed since the World u20 Champs.

Reply #17903 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

No anonymous, 27 years young my friend. What...jealous???

Reply #17928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #18029 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Sweet photo Isaac!!!

Nothing wrong with 27 panther.

Reply #18030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754