Kriss
Years ago

Your Best 6ers moment!

Topic #1530 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

When Willie dunked on Melvin Thomas' head this year.
CROWD WENT NNNNNUUUUUTTTTTSSS!

John Rillie dunking hard to seal the game against Victoria in the GF!

Reply #17455 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think mine would be the semi final game vs Wollongong a few years back (99 season perhaps??) when Rupert hit the banked 3 to send the game into overtime, and we won OT by 1 point to progress to the grand final.

That and the whole experience of the first championship in 99 (last winter season), the bus trip (2 buses!), the game, and the whole thing when we swept the Magic.

Reply #17457 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Yogee would have to agree with you the 99 GF to sweep it in Melbourne in front of their home fans was magical and going back to the teams hotel for the party afterwards was fantastic.

Followed closely by the next year to win it in our home - i think I was hoarse for a week from yelling after that one.

Some of my other great memories was the First Game of 94 GF against North Melbourne we were down most of the game, managed to come back and level it and it went to overtime - that 2 minutes between the end of regulation and the OT was the loudest the POWERHOUSE has ever been - everyone was cheering & stamping their feet. Didnt end so well we lost the game and they beat us in 2 - Rees was GF MVP that year.

And I will never forget my first ever game that I went to - 1986 3rd game of the GF series at the Apollo - I was 8 - it was an awesome feeling.

I have been lucky enough to go to every winning championship decider all have been very memorable.

Reply #17467 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

paul rees hitting a random three pointer

Reply #17473 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bill Jones hitting a buzzer-beating basket in 1986 to defeat Geelong and retain their almost perfect record. They went 24-2 that year and were almost unbeatable.

A prominent Adelaide media identity tells me that a behind-the-scenes incident during the finals was much more memorable though ..... and for many years, the 36ers' results suggest they paid big time for that person opening their big trap (not that it wasn't wrong - it just could've been dealt with behind closed doors and a certain someone could've remained in their position).

Reply #17482 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Cant remember the year but when everyone said Mark Davis was loosing his game.

We played Melbourne next and in the 3rd Q with the scores tight he jumped up and stuffed it down M Bradtkes throat!!

Reply #17508 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Kriss...I seem to remember it was 1994. Davis struggled big time over the first third of the season. I recall his points average, because it was reported on the news at the time that it had dropped from 23ppg the season before to about 13ppg. Davis even hinted he was considering retiring if his form didn't turn around. The next game he had 43 against Brisbane on the road before the Tigers game.

Reply #17532 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

moses i assume u refer to ken cole and his demise

Reply #17533 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Farley's huge dunk in the first game of the 2001 Championship Finals.

Reply #17544 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anonymous - you may be right, but I'm not one to risk lawsuits at this stage of my life! It was my most memorable 36ers moment, albeit not the best.

As for Ken Cole's demise, I assume you mean the 36ers' demise. They took a long time to recover.

Reply #17547 | Report this post

Ken Cole  
Years ago

The best 36ers moment was when, for the first time EVER in the NBL, our team - the 36ers - walked to the middle of the court at the Apollo congratulated ourselves and then turned and thanked the crowd with all players applauding the spectators for their support.

While that is now common practice in the League, it was a spontaneous gesture that I asked the team to perform and I think was a memorable moment in Australian basketball.

Re - Moses - If it were not for the incredble actions of the then Chairman (1986) I believe Adelaide would have dominated the NBL for the next decade and won at least 7 of the next 10 Championships. Remember our 1986 team won every game by an average of 20 points. Every game was sold out, the fans were sensational, and we had juniors such as Mark Bradke still in the wings. It was the most exciting period in the history of Australian basketball and that edition of the 36ers would still be a dominant power today.

I certainly miss and love the fans in Adelaide and all of my former players. There are many other memorable moments I would love to share. However the one I mention above probably epitomises the respect and relationship of that team and the fans in Adelaide.
Ken Cole (San Diego)

Reply #37254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754