Oldschool
Years ago

Potential Dragons 08 Rosters

Now i know this prob wont happen but i have done some number crunching and open to suggestions on different players

PG: Hinson, Bruce, Seebohm
SG: Ingles, Herbert
SF: Tucker, Mottram
PF: Worthinton, Knight, Janev
C: Burtson, Horvath

Now i know i will cop flack for this but hey not bad lineup

Topic #15328 | Report this topic

morro  
Years ago

is bruce coming back 2 nbl anyone know or goin europe?? perhaps blaze could nab bruce instead of heal.

Reply #181027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is being chased by both the Dragons and Tigers.

Tucker? You mean Rashad Tucker? I think Goorjian is probably the last coach in the country that would hire him.

Take out Tucker and put Mackinnon in there.

Add Gibson too.

Reply #181029 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

anon- who told you about gibson and mackinnon?
reveal yourself!!!
i challenge you to a duel!!!

Reply #181032 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Maybe from me, last week.....

I haven't heard Kendall.

Smith & Wortho.

Also to be targetting Mackinnon and Adam Gibson.

Reply #181037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"C: Burtson, Horvath"

I think Horvath would be better than Burston...

Reply #181038 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

Horvath better than Burston??? no chance.

Reply #181039 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

thanks for clearing that up dicko :)

Reply #181041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Smith though - staying in Sydney.

Reply #181043 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

So would a line up of

C Burston/Horvath
PF Worthington/Hobba
SF Mackinnon/Herbert
SG Ingles/Bruce
PG Import?? Draper or Groves/Gibson

Could be more likely would be pretty strong and versatile, i guess if they dont get Wortho or Mack they could just add an import.
Or if they dont have enough points for a import PG split the minutes with Gibson and Bruce and sign a cheaper aussie guard maybe luke martin or Brad hill will be retained

Reply #181044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mackinnon to tigers

Reply #181052 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Sammy is a god playa, but he is too old for the Tigers.

When I was speaking to Al, he was looking for youthfull experiene.

Reply #181069 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

dear god schools out again, tommy and his friend al are back

Reply #181075 | Report this post

jamie  
Years ago

tuck isnt comin back to nbl or austrlia, got the news from tommy

Reply #181106 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Vukona and Wortho to Dragons...plus:

"Plus Jason Smith is expected to sign in the very near future."

Reply #181115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's that quote come from LC?

So Dragons rumoured to be looking like -
Burston/Horvath
Wortho/Hobba
Ingles/Vukona/Herbert
Smith/Bruce/Herbert
Gibson/Bruce

and possibly Sam Mack in there somewhere as well. Cowan opening the cheque book.

Reply #181117 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Gibson will be at the Dragons. Kendall is signed at Sydney so won't be. Smith is not keen to leave Sydney.

Reply #181118 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://www.gaze.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1028&Itemid=2

In the same link that Vukona and Worth signing with Dragons...

Reply #181131 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

surley dragons would look for an import to replace Horvath, is he still ranked a 10? I would be surprised if any team would want to waste 10 points on a second tier centre!

Reply #181133 | Report this post

Anon2c  
Years ago

Smith is going to the Dragons - 2 year deal worth a lot more money than Sydney were paying. Worthington and Vukona all but done deals, Aaron Bruce is a probability.

Reply #181149 | Report this post

Anon2c  
Years ago

Oh, and Gibson to Tigers. They wanted Kendall but when he didn't sign, Gibson was their next choice.

Reply #181151 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Assuming they keep Horvath, Shanahan and Hobba they are running at 62 points with no import and 2 spots to fill. Herbert is a 3 and may fall into the Sutton crunch as why would they spend 3 points when they could get a 1 point player to do the same job.

If Shanahan goes ( why would they keep him) that gives them 13 points and 3 spots to fill again with no imports yet.

So does Horvath get cut? As you could replace him with a better 10 points to somewhere else.

Reply #181166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shanahan retired. Horvath and Herbert are both already contracted for the coming season. Hobba hasn't been re-signed yet as far as I know.

Reply #181177 | Report this post

Bradfan  
Years ago

Forget the salary cap at the Dragons. There will be plenty of under the table stuff going on there. Tigers knocked back Worthington's demands - wanted close to $400K. Seems to be no problem for the Dragons.
Press conference said to be this week - surprising really as sources at Sydney understood that Wortho had signed a heads of agreement with them. Anyone know what the legal ramifications are with that - Isaac?

Reply #181189 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sydney Kings holding up the Dragon's announcement at signing wortho...the solicitors are the only ones currently making any money out of this deal at the moment.

Reply #181194 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

I looked at the points and this would be a pretty awesome team.

Burston(7)/Horvath(9)
Wortho(10)/Hobba(4)
Ingles(9)/Vukona(8)
Smith(8)/Herbert(3)
Bruce(3)/Martin(5)

Throw in a couple of rookies to fill the roster. Total points 66 (plus 2 rookies at 2points).

I'm still not convinced of Horwvath instead of an import. Even if he was re-rated to 9 that is still way over what he should be. Could have got a good import for that.

Plus seeing that Hobba and Martin haven't been re-signed I have a feeling it might be unlikely. Hobba would be great at 4 points. Maybe DICKO can tell us if he has heard anything about them?

Reply #181195 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Would if I could.....haven't heard much lately.

Reply #181200 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

Also, I read an article that Cowan applied to have 3 imports but was rejected because they have Goorjian. This implies that he plans on having imports, but i can not work out how they are going to fit them in under the points cap. I'm confused.

Reply #181201 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

I think that would be a top 4 team under Goorjian, maybe not premiers but challengers.

Hey DICKO what do you think of Horvaths signing and thefansmans roster idea? Likely? good?

Reply #181203 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Horvath is a 10 though and hasn't the period for objection passed?

Heads of Agreement can be thrown out as all it is, is a signal of intention to sign a full contract.

The full contract would have far more detail in it than the heads of agreement and therefore would give Wortho a leverage point to exit the Heads of Agreement.

So, Wortho could have signed a deal with Sydney at the alledged $400,000 but if there was something in the prepared contract that he did not like that accompanies the Heads of Agreement that is the "excuse" he could give for not signing the contract.

My understanding is that this is the same way Bullets players may be able to exit their deals and go else where.

Reply #181208 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thefansman - how will that squad contend?

Very heavily relying on Bruce and Martin. Smith/Herbert is a weakpoint as well, although Ingles can play SG and give Vukona more time. They'd be better off leaving off Smith and getting an import.

They'd have a weakish bench and three soft spots in the starting ranks IMO.

Reply #181212 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

3 soft spots in the starting in the starting ranks?

Burston
Wortho
Ingles
Smith (people hate on him but he gets the job done)
Bruce

Where's the weak spot?

Yes they have a weakish bench. However IMO Hobba will develop quickly under BG. Horvath is as good as any back up centre in the league. Vukona just as in NZ will be great off the bench. I only added Smith because it looks like he will be there. I would have rathered an import.

I agree the PG position is weakish and the backups for the back-court will struggle. They do really need a combo guard in there, maybe an import.

I dont think its premiership material but to ask how they will contend is a little harsh?

Reply #181221 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

Yeah I would have rathered a couple of imports in at PG and SG and have Bruce as a backup with Herbert and Ingles rotating. But they will contend with that team. I think that starting 5 is still pretty strong.

bballfan I wrote the post - you didn't add smith I did haha. I read an article that said he was likely to end up with dragons. Your post doesn't make sense, I wrote the original post haha. But I agree with your comments on the other 3 on the bench.

Reply #181224 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

That team depends way to much on Worthington and Ingles.

Burston is night to night proposition, Bruce is an untested NBL player and Smith is well past it.

Vukona off the bench is the only thing solid there.

They will need to add a Cortez style player , but where do you fit him plus no points available to do it.

So either Smith and his 8 points wont happen in favour of an import 10 point player which means the bench sufers even more as they dont have the points space to sure up the bench.

Reply #181225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ingles is a lot less than a 9, internally. Could be wrong though, but I dont think so.

Reply #181229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bballfan - Bruce is untested at this level, Smith is well-advanced in his career and (as Brockman said) Burston isn't guaranteed to produce every night. They'll want to squeeze in 1-2 imports somehow IMO.

Reply #181233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles is only a 1 internally, isn't he?

Reply #181247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons officially announce Wortho as new signing. 3 year deal.

Reply #181349 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

No mention of Vukona though

Reply #181361 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Anouncement to Dragons members, just released.

The Crazy John's South Dragons today announced the recruitment of one of the biggest names in the NBL, with former Kings star Mark Worthington signed to the club to the end of the 2010/11 season.

Worthington joins the Dragons on the back of an outstanding year with the Sydney Kings in which he averaged 17.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

His remarkable 2007/08 season was capped with selection to the All-NBL First Team.

At just 24 years of age, Worthington has already achieved success beyond his years. A veteran of two NBL grand final series and one semi-final showdown with the Kings, Worthington is also a current member of the Boomers squad and was part of the team to win gold at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

The 2006 NBL Rookie of the Year joins 2007 Rookie of the Year Joe Ingles on the Dragons' new-look roster.

The 202 centimetre, 95 kilogram forward said he was excited about the move and positive about the club's future.

"I look at it as an opportunity for a new beginning for both the club and myself," Worthington said.

"The enthusiasm the club has and the passion of the people running it, it's a great chance to turn the club around and it's already going in a positive direction with the signing of Brian Goorjian.

"Just talking to (Crazy John's South Dragons chairman) Mark Cowan about what the club is putting into place, it will definitely go up three notches to where it was last year.

"Obviously I want to continue the success I had last season and I look forward to doing that in Dragons' colours."

Worthington said the recruitment of Goorjian to the club was one of the major reasons behind his decision to move south.

"Brian's never done anything wrong by me, he's always steered me in the right direction and I think this is another opportunity within a different environment for us to shine together," he said.

"I just think it's a great chance for us to do something special."

Prior to his signing with the Kings Worthington spent four years at Metropolitan State University, Minnesota. In his time with the elite college team Worthington was named to the NABC All-American team and named NABC Division II Player of the Year.

Newly-appointed Crazy John's South Dragons head coach Brian Goorjian said Worthington had fast become one of the most exciting talents on the Australian basketball scene.

"It's an exciting time for the club because we have signed a great young player," Goorjian said.

"He is NBL First Team and is a versatile, young, exciting talent.

"More than that he is a great club guy and offers a lot off the floor as well. He is an integral part of the Australian team, so altogether it's a pretty good package."

Crazy John's South Dragons chairman Mark Cowan said the signing of Worthington, touted as the premier player on this year's NBL free agents list, was a massive coup for the club.

"This is a very big day for our basketball club," Cowan said.

"Mark was clearly the marquee player on the free agents list, and on the back of signing Brian Goorjian, this is huge. He will no doubt be one of the cornerstones of our team next season.

"Like the rest of the squad he is still young at 24 years old, and that suits us just fine."

Worthington joins Ingles, Matt Burston, Nathan Herbert and Nick Horvath on the Dragons' new-season roster.

Reply #181362 | Report this post

thefansman  
Years ago

Not sure how reliable my source is but I just heard that apparently Jason Smith has also signed a 2 year deal with option of a 3rd. Hear anything about this DICKO?

Reply #181363 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23505504-23769,00.html

http://www.southdragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74719

Interesting to see if the Vukona and Smith deals get done.

Reply #181370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754