Joe M
Years ago

NBL on Fox?

Has anyone heard any new information as to the future coverage of the NBL on Foxtel?

Are we simply to assume that they have pulled the plug and their will be no coverage next season or should we just assume it will be business as usual? Crappy but better than none.

Is the NBL or Fox going to be making any announcements? Is so when.

Topic #15367 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This issue has been quiet for a while. I'd like to know some answers myself.

Reply #181416 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

It better be on fox otherwise the game will officialy be dead

Reply #181430 | Report this post

Forsay  
Years ago

My friend is great friends with Steve Carfino and he has been told by fox that he will not have a job next year.

There is talk of a channel 9 weekly 30 min show but apart from that there will no longer be any NBL games shown on TV.

This is why the 3 Brisbane consortiums decided against buying the bullets.

Reply #181432 | Report this post

Forsay  
Years ago

Update on the above post.

Teams are looking at doing seperate deals with their local TV channels, I guess similar to NBA.

Fox may look at replaying some of these during the week at off peak time.

Reply #181444 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This might be a mail merge job. Write to all television stations in each state.

9, 7, 10, abc and sbs.

Reply #181448 | Report this post

William 60  
Years ago

Would ch9 Adelaide pick up on the 36ers games? i guess more people here would prefer to see the sixers away games then home games..

Reply #181457 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

My understanding is that Fox put certain demands on the NBL to reduce league size and not have to guarantee each team being shown on TV.

Fox, like any business want to contain costs and dont think the expense of traveling to remote markets is very commercial.

Reply #181471 | Report this post

Forsay  
Years ago

If home teams film the games then they should have an exchange program as I am sure that most of us would rather have access to the away games on TV then home games.

Reply #181474 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

If we could get free to air coverage it could bring back the junior interest that was high before Fox was on the scene. Games we shown each week at 8.30 and ratings were high. This could happen again, especially if some of the College ball games with Australian players were shown as well.

Reply #181503 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Actually raytri ratings weren't high that is why it was dumped from free to air to start with.

Ten would get pounded in the ratings as other net works would put up a decent movie against the Saturday night live games and that would be all she wrote.

Reply #181506 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I have a suggestion and a topic to bring up on relation to this topic.

Now that all the FTA stations have a HD channel that shows the odd different program.

Should we consider throwing on some basketball on the HD channel?

I know not everyone has this service or technology at home. But could it be a way to keep it on tv especially if we can't get local stuff happening in our own states.

It's just another option to bring up, suggest and discuss.

Reply #181511 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Hate to say it Kent Brockman, but actually the ratings were high. Games were moved from 10,30 time slot to 8;30. American basketball was big. We had the Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson craze kids were seen everywhere wearing basketball gear.They had talk back on Sunday morning, kids were buying big.
It wasn't dumped by free to air, but taken over by foxtel because it was so popular.
Basketball focus then waned because the public access was gone.
Now with Foxtel we are lucky to get an Adelaide game televised at all.

Reply #181766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754