Pegs
Years ago

Referees help - double dribble

If a referee could clear up a point of confusion for me.

I child in my squad was called for a double dribble on Saturday. When releasing the first dribble it was done with two hands.

My understanding is that the first dribble can be done with both hands. Article 24.1.1 seems to confirm this "A dribble starts when a player, having gained control of a live ball on the playing court, throws, taps, rolls or dribbles it on the floor and touches it again before it touches another player. A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands."

If I read this correctly then only after the first dribble is the act of dribbling ended by touching the ball with both hands.

Am I right / wrong?

Topic #15377 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

sounds pretty convincing to me. Im only a trainee reff with limited knowlage but after reading that rule I would have to agree that it should be double dribble only if touched by both hands after first bouncing the ball

Reply #181579 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm no referee but I'm sure you can start your first dribble with 2 hands.

Reply #181792 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Thanks guys - I am confident now that I am not teaching the kids to do a violation! Now that would be embarrassing!

Reply #181806 | Report this post

no double drible  
Years ago

Hey...

think of it this way.

how can you double dribble if you haven't even started your first dribble....

Reply #181812 | Report this post

M-Wills  
Years ago

Yep, your first dribble can be with two hands. you see professional players do it all the time, especially when they are going in for 'power layups'

Reply #182730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754