Jo Jo English
Years ago

SABRES SHOCKER

Some news hot off the local women's league press. The Sturt Sabres new coaching staff in their infinite wisdom have seen fit to not offer a position on their roster this year to their skipper, multiple MVP and Lightning representative Kylie Newbold.
Apparently someone with her credentials and a life member of the club cannot find a spot on their roster for a gun player.Their new coach and his dictatorship are better suited to a military training base.
It is all good news for Forestville as she will be joining their roster. The oracle is predicting a mens and womens championship for them this season and a lot off egg on the Sabres faces.
Any thoughts from the gurus out there?

Jo Jo

Topic #1545 | Report this topic

Once upon a time there was a guy called Daryl Pearce. He was hailed as a legend, life member of a club and future hall of famer. One day, someone with significant foresight elected to go with someone relatively unknown in the place of 'the Ice Man'... His name was Brett Maher.

Its a shame that these things sometimes happen but who can really be surprised that this has come from the Sabres. They have used her to educate the up and coming players and now, since they can not see any other use for her, its out the door.

Perhaps, it will just work out that the young girls will FINALLY get their oppurtunities.

Reply #17564 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Also on the grape vine is that if she is fit and given the all clear by her doctors, which apparently is doubtful, Jess Mahoney will be following Kylie to Forestville.

Reply #17565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats going on down there?

Must have rocks in their head....

Reply #17566 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

It won't matter because nobody will beat North. It is not unusaual for Sturt to shaft people and use them up. They promise the world and then get rid of people once they are not needed. Then again Forestville are not angels either.

Reply #17567 | Report this post

Porcelain  
Years ago

If Pen has not been put to paper watch out for a late swoop from the Bearcats for husband and wife.

They need to do something to stop a double wooden spoon.

Reply #17571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Marino returning to Sturt?

Who's likely to suit for the women's team?

Reply #17572 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What do you mean Porcelain? Husband and Wife deal???

Reply #17575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

braithwaite??

Reply #17577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Think Porcelain is dreaming. He is eluding to the fact that they are trying to pull of the biggest recruiting coup of the century by luring the gun pair of Newbold and Dix to the Bearcats.

It wont happen unless the Bearcats perhaps are willing to trade someone of the ilk of Bell and Nash.

Reply #17578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they mean Dix and Newbold

Reply #17579 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That's what I thought he was saying. You are kidding yourself Porcelain, Dix bleeds Yellow and Blue and i can't see him leaving, they take extremely good care of him there.

Reply #17580 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

I think you will find that Kylie was not pushed out, but left on her own accord with our best wishes. Get your facts straight! We wouldn't do that to a legend and a life member!

Reply #17589 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

I would not be to sure "In The Know" if the rumours are right then the recruiting at the Eagles does not finish with Newbold/Mahoney. I am pretty sure that Belinda Wilson will be back and there is a very strong tip about Narelle Lindsay rejoining them as well. Add Screen/Smith/Mathews/Flanagan to that group of four plus throw in the Under 20's Tara Robinson/Jess Fergus & the Under 18's Newley/Martin adds up to a fair group of players that will take some beating.

Reply #17591 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

With those names and it wouldn't surprised me if they Forestville get them, I would have to agree with Easy Rider on this one In the Know. What I want to know is how all these players are going to fit behind the Wayville Bar???

Reply #17592 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Salary cap??

Reply #17593 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There's going to be plenty of ways to get around that Libertine...

Reply #17595 | Report this post

Jetson  
Years ago

Sabre

I think you will find that Jo Jo has his facts pretty much on the money.

You are obvioulsy sticking up for your club but if you did deeper push came to shove and Kylie was told there was no role for her this year.

The Sabres are going down the youth policy road. Lets see how it goes.

Reply #17596 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Panther - understood - and I also understand the subtext of your message.

As I just emailed to a colleague, the salary cap is just a crock. Are BASA going to pay independent auditors to check the books and investigate the financial dealings of every club for irregularities?

What needs to be capped also is the off court payments - Rugby League does this, with these payments that aren't classified as "salary" coming under a different banner, and limited to a set figure, ie $200k.

Too much hassle.

Reply #17597 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Don't forget that North have Jessica Bibby heading there as well.

Reply #17598 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Agreed Libertine, a Salary Cap sounds great but there's no way BASA are going to be able to monitor it allowing some very creative payments...

Reply #17599 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is Bibby playing at North is she? Why would she play there for, what incentive would there be???

Reply #17600 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There's going to be some very rich Aussie Hoops coaches!

Reply #17601 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

I heard that Erin Phillips wanted Marc Wallis to go after Jessica Bibby and what ever Erin wants Marc will get her!

Reply #17609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could not believe it when i read this about newbold.

She was their best player in prelim final last ABl season.

HOWEVER - they had too much height leading to a poor mix -

Sturt have -

3 Bowley girls

Laura Summerton - ? WNBA - ? boyfriend here though

Christine Konnakkis from u18s - she is 195 cm plus

Emma langford and jess mcphail all in u18s as well

so there are 7 young, fit talls.

however i think Kylie is above some of them.

Sturt's problem last season was they have no consistent outside scorer - once marino was away and mahoney injured - nixon and donato tried but it was not enough.

I would not be surprised to see a good 1-3 player join their group.

It makes sense that forestville chase newbold - they were clearly lacking tall strength against Sturt last prelim - albeit winning.

what is happening with the new lightning girls - is the one from qld staying at woodies ??

Any good mildura players coming?

what about renae camino from ais ?

Reply #17610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

y would renae camino come to adelaide wen she is a wollongong girl???

Reply #17619 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

heard she may play abl for Sturt

Reply #17624 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

I heard on the basketball grapevine that the great man himself, mesecke, asked just about everyone at the AIS to come and play at Sturt

Reply #17628 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

nothing wrong with that - anyone doing their job would chase that avenue

leave no stone unturned

good on paul

Reply #17631 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

sturt need to start playing their young guards, or guard as it would be. Sara chapple has consistently been as good, if not better in juniors than marino, yet has always been overshadowed. once chapple gets some courttime and some confidence she will be a top level aba player, no doubt about it

Reply #17634 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

People, people, people......please remember, before spouting off who will play for whom, there is such a thing as restricted players.

Each club is entitled to two (2) restricted players. These are either imports (require immigration rules and certain amount to be paid per season) or WNBL players.

Restricted players are players that have received a certain percentage of court time for the whole year in the WNBL, therefore someone like Erin Phillips would be restricted and Erin Seward would not be (at this point in time of the season, but if there are more injuries she could become restricted due to the amount of court time she receives).

AIS players coming out of the AIS and going to their first WNBL team are not classified as restricted in their first year, but in the second, depending on court time, they could become resticted - hence Boti's continuos carping about the 2002 Sturt team being stacked - Summerton and Mahony had just come out of the AIS.

If a player has come through the junior ranks of their club and play WNBL/NBL and have played a certain amount of senior (ABL)games (don't quote me but men 200, women 150...or such number), they can be taken off the restricted players list by asking for permission through BA. Example Jason Williams, but this is only granted for the club they have played a majority of junior games.

How do I know this? my experience in getting players off restriction lists

As for the salary cap, "Are BASA going to pay independent auditors to check the books and investigate the financial dealings of every club for irregularities" you bet your sweet bippy. All clubs will be putting into a special fund a certain amount of money so that an independent auditor can check the clubs' books. And yes, the clubs have agreed to allow that to happen. One of the first stumbling blocks in getting the salsry cap going was that clubs would have to allow to be audited when the auditor wanted...in other words they have to open their books to him/her. Once they accepted that it was a no brainer and the salaty cap will happen (passed by senior committee), how it will be maintained, gotten around, is still to be seen.

Oh, by the way Jo Jo, remember there are always two sides to each story, and it is really good when one can judge on situations when both sides are heard in sane rational manner, not emotional or attention grabbing.

You all have a nice day.

Reply #17647 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Sturt has always been known as developing their home grown kids and them becomming stars especially in the wnbl and the nbl. So if Mesecke tries to get some big names from the AIS it wont help the up and comming jr's down at sturt, and besides sturt you wouldnt want to become another "South" by trying to get anyone you can. least you have good jr's!

Reply #17650 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

if you have a look at the strength of the sabrettes in u21s - they have planty of winners on the way

Reply #17663 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Pioneer I was under the impression that if a player came out of the AIS they were restricted unless they returned to their home Club. I thought this rule came in the year after Jess Mahony went to Sturt. Perhaps you could set the record straight for me. Much obliged.

Reply #17668 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Paul was chasing more than just AIS girls. Other clubs were not safe either. Once the ABL starts we will know what everybody has. If Kylie goes to Forestville then thats life and Sturt's loss. I think that Christine, Mcphail and langford at this stage will struggle at abL SO if Marion does play for them or come back I think they will struggle.

Reply #17683 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Pioneer - and if a club can't afford to put money into this 'auditor fund' ?? Would the results be published somewhere so that some clubs can finally be held accountable for where their denaros are going?

Reply #17689 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I'd definitely be giving Christine konnakis a run off the bench this ABl - as a second year u18s - langford, mcphail are still settling in reserves - but are moving towards ABL 4 sure

Reply #17697 | Report this post

druck  
Years ago

This is the best move for a team that was getting tied down with in house fighting. let the Bowley girls show what they can do and give quality quards like sara chapple and kate jolly have more of a chance and you will see the in the final again very soon, people pass their use bye date and as good as kylie has been this is true for her. The same thing will have to happen in the mens program soon enough too.

Reply #17703 | Report this post

Bosco  
Years ago

Now all they need to do is get a good coach and they could be right there with North, they now have a cohesive team with loads of young talent

Reply #17706 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

Easy rider let me check up on that, you could be quite correct.

Libertine, the clubs themselves have decided to put money into a fund to pay the auditor as BASA admin did not have the funds to administer this cap. Now since they all came to an agreement (and I mean all) it must mean that they do have the funds for this procedure to work properly.

The whole idea of a salary cap is too help clubs not go broke. Yes there are a multitude of ways to get around that, but you have to start somewhere. By the way I do not support the cap. I can see what they want to do but feel there would/could/should be other ways. Major problem is the clubs still have not reached a total trusting stage amongst each other (just have a look at some of the comments in this thread alone).

Financially the best thing that can be done for basketball in this state is to give it a huge enema, clean everything out and start again but I know I am living in a fantasy world. Our past has come back to haunt us with a vengence. Success was sweet but now it is payment time.

Any suggestions on how this problem can be overcome besides sacking everyone?
Love to see your ideas and comments

Have a nice day

Reply #17725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the current situation?
What's wrong with it?
What's right with it?

What's the ideal situation (within reasonable constraints)?

What needs to change from the current situation to get to the ideal situation?

Won't the answers to these questions determine the best path to take, and a series of small (hopefully achievable) steps to take on that path?

Reply #17727 | Report this post

nemesis  
Years ago

Wish I'd known this forum existed. I'm new to SA basketball but have seen Christine K. play this summer and she seems one of the softest U/18 talls going around. Not ready for an ABL bench spot yet. Seems to me Sturt are stuffed for this year anyway with what you lot are saying about who other clubs might be getting, so whether Kylie N. leaves or not might not make a lot of difference. Was she actually offered anything? Can someone from Sturt clarify that? Can anyone clue me in on the culture of this Hoops forum - is it too late to reply to a thread a day or two on?

Reply #17833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nemesis -- I suspect that a lot of people will see from the "latest posts" column (on the right side of the page) when a topic that interests them has had new material added.

It's quite common for old topics to be reignited. If threads get long and/or a topic could be better served from restarting fresh, or there is material that is a little off-topic, you're welcome to start a new thread.

Any other questions, let me know.

Reply #17846 | Report this post

blue boy  
Years ago

Christine has only been playing 2 years - now paul mescke is back and coaching this team - you will seek a marked improvement.

yes she has been soft in the past - and needs to work on this - but I have noticed a significant improvement of late.

She is just too bloody tall to let go easily - she must be 195-200 cm - and athletic

Reply #18108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt juniors wont be playin abl because of the change in NCAA rules. abl is comsidered profesisonal and would ruin any schollarships to american colleges. only junior players who do not wish to embark on a schollarship will be playing. langford already has a sister over there and both her and mcphail will not be playing abl and that is their choice

Reply #18148 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

ABL? professional? seems a little not right to me, but it is a step in the right direction for basketball, after all, SANFL (footballs equivalent of ABL) is considered professional

Reply #18152 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

SANFL considered professional? Don't think so. Isn't the NCAA rule that potential college players are not allowed to be in a league where other players are being paid?

Reply #18170 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

SANFL is considered professional. Trust me on that, from experience, SANFL is big business, much more so (and much more profesional) than ABl, and probly even NBL

Reply #18193 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Then why many of the SANFL players have a 'real' job if they play in a 'professional' sporting league?

If you take the three wider levels of serious sport:

Professional
Semi-Professional
Amatuer

It would be considered 'semi-pro' in my book. As would ABL. As would Premier League Soccer in SA.

Basketball doesn't really have an 'amatuer' status equivalent like soccer, footy, and all those ridiculous amounts of netball grades - it is played socially.

Reply #18200 | Report this post

Dark Helmet  
Years ago

To get back to the actual post I believe that getting rid of Kylie was an excellent idea. Although I do know for a fact she was offered a spot in the team. Just not the spot she wished. From my sources it seems there was a conflict from kylie and another player in the team. This will be a good season as they have the bowley sisters, A choice of Laura Summerton, Monique Bowley, Angela Marino.

Starting 5:
Angela Marino/Sonia Danito
Monique Bowley
Bridgit Bowley
Laura Summerton
Hannah Bowley

Obviously dependent on the import rule for the three wnbl players

Reply #18214 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Still won't get near Forestville or North.

Reply #18221 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

True, just saying if ABL was, then SANFL definately is, and which is good, as they are both the equivalent. many NBL players need real jobs also, so could that really be considered pro? i know the going rate for playing sanfl league is in excess of 300 a week, probly close to what most nbl players make

Reply #18237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kylie has been nothing short of the heart and soul of the Sturt womens basketball team for over 10 years. her loyalty to sturt was second to none and she had and still has the respect of all her teammates and the Sturt community. the way she was treated by some members of the club is quite disgraceful as throughout her career she has only ever bled double blue. for those who know kylie, you will understand how difficult it was for her to say goodbye to people and a club she has loved for so many years. there is lots behind the scenes, but dont ever think that kylie just decided to leave - there are many factors that contributed to forcing the most respected sabrette to change colours, and i am sure in a simlilar situation most people would have done the same. i hope kylie does really well for season 2005 as she still has so much to offer as a player and a leader. i also wish the sabre girls the best of luck.

Reply #19521 | Report this post

Anonymous you have got to be tongue in cheek or incredibly naive. That's a worse summation of the situation than Botti could have provided.

Reply #19849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754