DICKO
Years ago

Video - Unsportsmanlike acts

From all US Sports.....the baseball batter attacking the catcher caught my eye.

Topic #15458 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

what about Aussie ones. Barry Hall's punch on Staker is an obvious one. What about Tont Lockett cleaning up Peter Cavan.

Trevor Chappell's underarm delviery - not violent but very unsportsman-like.

Hopate sticking his fingers in the "date" ... I know nothing about rugby but I heard about this.

Any Aussie basketball moments ... what about Cecil's Exum outburt on here?

Reply #182535 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Actually I think Caven head butted Lockett's elbow....

Grave Danger smashing Cornsey is one I will never forget....

Might have helped him get those model looks....

Reply #182538 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ingall swerving at Skaife standing on the side of the road at Eastern Creek.

Reply #182540 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Zab Judah's tantrum after Kostya Tszyu stopped him in there bout.

Reply #182546 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dunstall vs Newman on the Footy show!

Reply #182550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

an eagle in the 90's kidney punched a tiger b4 the tiger got ejected for getting the eagle by the throut

Reply #182567 | Report this post

Not a Shu fan  
Years ago

The single most unsportsman like act EVER,IMO, was by Michael Shumacher jumping about whooping the air celebrating a win at Imola in 1994. The day before, a young F1 driver, Roland Ratzenberger, died as a result of a crash in practice on the Saturday, with Senna in huge trouble being airlifted to hospital after a horiffic crash during the race on the Sunday. Senna was later pronounced dead. While Shumacher was jumping around, thanking God, and whooping the air with a huge smile on his face, Mika Hakkinen (3rd) and Nicola Larini (2nd)both stood solemly on the podium next to this twit while he celebrated, with their heads bowed.

No one new at the time that Senna had died; however a bit of respect for the driver that gave up his life the day before would have seemed to be the right thing to do.

Or how about Shumacher taking out Damon Hill in one of the last Adelaide GP's to try to win the title; then Shumacher standing there $h!ii!ng himself thinking he hadn't done a good enough job on wrecking Hills car, before it finally gave up giving Shumacher the title.

Or how about in one of Shumachers last years at Monaco being stripped of his qualifiying position because telemetry showed he stalled his car on purpose during the dying mins of qualifiying, calling an early end to the session so that no one else could better his time.

Fantastic driver, super skilled, super fast, super determined but super unsportsmanlike.

IMO Shumacher = Unsportsmanlike

Reply #182574 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah something tells me you don't like Shumacher. Its just a funny feeling but I think I could be right on this subject! :P

Reply #182579 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

It's not his fault - he's German... And i mean that as a compliment... Anyone ever see the e-mail doing the rounds a few years back showing the various offensive systems for the various teams in the FWC - Germany was depicted as a bold white line going straight from the centre circle to the opposition goal... Shumi was that white line...

Reply #182583 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I too dont think much of Schu and his antics that he pulled from time to time. In fact i used to feel same as you not a schu fan until i saw the interview with him about breaking Ayrton's pole record.

The reporter asked if breaking his record meant anything to him to which Schu became very emotional and welled up while saying "none of us would be here if it was not for him." Not a big thing but made me realise the guy was not a total C Bomb.

As for his record he will go down in history as one of the greats although he usually competed against inferior drivers in inferior cars.

Timing as they say is everything and his time in the sun matched up to very little opposition talent wise. Any talent that was around at the time beat him Mika, Alonso, Jacques.

Schu spent a lot of time competing against guys who had never won a race let alone world championships like the true greats did.

Reply #182586 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Not a Shu Fan: Your comment is totally wrong about Schumacher celebrating the win after the disastrous 94 San Marino GP at Imola - Schumacher already knew the extent of the seriousness of Senna's crash and I recall him very well not celebrating the win. He gave a couple of smiles to the team and obviously to his sponsors, but all three drivers on the podium did not open the champagne.

Senna was/is my hero and I'm not a Schu fan at all myself. I also have the tape to prove this didn't happen.

Please get your facts right before posting rubbish....

Reply #182612 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

And as much as I loved watching him drive, Senna was just as coniving, sneaky and underhanded in his day.

Completely agree with Kent, too. Schu will go down as one of the best, but could you imagine hime even getting CLOSE to that success against Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet, etc in (the much closer in quality) cars that were around then?

Personally, I think he'd come a poor 5th in that group. But that's just my opinion.

And, obviously, I don't like him much either.

Reply #182616 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dicko, apart from the Suzuka "no one told me there was a corner there Alain" incident which was more about the governing body of the sport than rivalry with Prost...depending on who you believe, can you think of any time Ayrton deliberatly cut across someone, or took them out of a race? I am trying but cant remember , there maybe something but thought you could verify.

and for old time sakes....this people is how you get it done in F1, 3 world champs dusted in 1 lap.

Reply #182625 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Check this one out guys
Basketball game in Uraguay, i can see the simlararities between the Barry Hall Punch and this one.

PS is that didnt work heres the direct link
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3gq4RXOnI

Reply #182627 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Definitely a tech!

Reply #182634 | Report this post

Not a Shu fan  
Years ago

Sorry Cory I 100% dissagree with you regarding the 1994 Imola podium.

Hopefully the vision is on youtube and someone in the know can post it here for us. I will stand corrected if he is standing there not celebrating.

I never said he was spraying champane around, but he was whooping the air with clenched fists with a huge simile on his face acting totaly inapropriate under the circumstances. At that stage no one knew that Senna had died, but a driver did die the day before. I stopped liking him from that moment forward, before this I was in awe of this young German.

Would you agree that the other two examples are unsportsman like? Mate I am going off the memory of watching it all live, not tapes so I will stand corrected if proven wrong.

Shu stands as the greatest F1 driver ever with a record that will be very hard to beat; however he is one of the most unsportsmanlike ever as well.

There have been many great rivalries in F1 and a lot of incidents can be attributed to bad sportsmanship (Mansell/ Piquet - Senna/ Prost), its just that Shu had so many examples against so many different opponents.

Reply #182648 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

looks like no emtion in this video although i do recall schu smiling on the podium and waiving to his team mates below

and the video i was refering to

Reply #182654 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #182655 | Report this post

Not a Shu fan  
Years ago

Cheez that was quick.

Not much emotion, I agree; however it is a national anthem playing (I am assuming that because I cant play it with sound otherwise my work mates will know Im not slaving away getting heaps of work things done)

You really need to see the mins preceeding them stepping up onto the podium. Sorry I cant conceed from that footage, happy too if proven wrong.

Reply #182661 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You are probably talking about between the moment he won the race and got back to the pits and was happy, to when he actually got back and settled into the drivers centre where they all found out that Senna had died.

Everyone loves to win a race.....but even Schu (who I already mentioned I don't like much) couldn't be quite THAT heartless, I don't think.

Reply #182678 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have read a few different takes on Schu on the podium and the most that happened which offended people was that he raised his trophy to the crowd and threw his hat in the air to celebrate.

I did find a video that showed him crossing the line in the car and saluting the crowd with fist pumps etc from the cockpit, funny enough the camera catches Ayrton's great friend Gerhard Berger acknowledging the Tifosi by doing the same thing, so this would indicate that they did not know how bad Ayrton was at the time.

Another article says that all three drivers where told that Ayrton would not probably make it before going onto the podium.

A little known fact about Ayrton and that weekend is that inside his car they found a scrunched up Austrian flag with "for Roland" across it.

Senna had planned to show it to the crowd upon winning the race in honour or Ratzenberger who was killed the previous day.

I also discovered another thing about the weekend i did not know is that Eric Comas got back into his Larousse and drove to the accident scene at full speed to try and help Ayrton despite the track being closed and all other cars being locked in pit lane.

Senna had saved Comas' life previously by stopping his car, while others drove past, and tending to Comas after a big accident and held his head still until the medicos arrived.

Comas was there trying to do the same for Ayrton...very sad.

Reply #182690 | Report this post

Not a Shu fan  
Years ago

Very interesting story about Senna & Comas, Kent.

I am going from memory of the evening but I am sure Berger didnt finish the race due to either pulling out after the senna crash or a breakdown. He may have acknoleged the crowd from the side of the road where he broke down, but I dont believe you will find him in the pits pumping the air to the crowd.

Anyway Im a huge senna fan & was also a Shu fan until this race. I never forgot Shu's first F1 drive with the Jordan were he qualified somewere in the top 6, amazing for a young kids 1st race; however his clutch burnt out on the starting grid.

After Imola 1994 I just found nothing to like at all about the German.

Reply #182809 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754