what the
Years ago

State champs '05 - public holiday date

Adelaide Cup day is still in May in '05 - in 2006 it is rostered for March - which will make it interesting !

ex SA Government web site

they are also calling it "volunteer's day'

so looks like normal state champs in 2005!

however 2006 looks like an interesting change

Topic #1547 | Report this topic

What?

Reply #17625 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

due to bad weather the SA Jockey club have sought to change the public holiday for adelaide cup in the future. Instaed of it pissing with rain in may and keeping crowds away they logically want it in better weather for a good gate etc.

so our junior state champs was always on adel cup long weekend - hence how that will affect our programmes in the future.

It has been subject of sevral discussions on this forum as to when and how we will fit it in the yearly programme.

Reply #17627 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

It will throw things all over the place. When do we have State Championships and do have to move it to another long weekend? The only weekend I can think of is Easter. That clashes with Norwood carnival though.

Reply #17675 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

if we want to keep state champs around the same time of year - we will just have to break it down of two weekends - with no long weekend.

That has benefits - less demand on everyone, referees etc - last year was huge with reserve 2 grade - i like the idea - but it was a big long weekend - over 2 weeks it may be good - only downfall a two week hiatus from district minor rounds - no big drama.

last thing we want to do is crosss over norwood or nunawadings

Reply #17680 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I agree but I think that over two weekends it gets messy. It could be done though so I will be interested in what the junior committee comes up with.

Reply #17684 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

If you played the champs over 2 weekends play all games including semi finals on the first weekend like we do now and have the grand finals programmed on the sunday of the second weekend and you could still play your normal junior round on the friday/saturday. Only downside is if a country team made the grand final they would have to travel down to Adelaide two weekends in a row.

Reply #17690 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

exactly

Reply #17696 | Report this post

Well if the public holiday changes, have the best carnival on Easter (State Championships) and have the one no one cares about on the Adelaide Cup holiday (Norwood carnival)

That way, you would have four days instead of three for the state champs, making more games, and more recovery time between matches.

Reply #17699 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Why not run the reserves on one weekend and the following have State on the other? Teams must have the roster in 2 weeks in advance to prevent clubs from playing players down in the reserves grade.

Reply #17753 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

? too many games over 2.5 days

otherwise it sounds good

Reply #17754 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Theory of Relativity....isnt that what happend in 2004?

Reply #17755 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Could you play one game on the Thursday night as it did happen to a few teams in 2004. Play 1 on Thursday, One on Friday, 2/3 on Saturday, Semi's and G/Finals on Sunday. Only problem is the country teams...

Reply #17761 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Theory of Relativity

State Champs at Easter is a great idea. The timing of it (late-March, April) doesn't affect things too much, and I agree about the extra day being of benefit.

It would have a HUGE negative effect on the Norwood tourny though. The reason this tourny is so strong is the high quality competition from Vic teams. If Norwood have to shift it to Adel Cup, could it be the end of the tournament? Vic teams could no longer be here. Can't see too many SA teams entering just to play each other, especially so close to State Champs.

Reply #17765 | Report this post

You're missing the point, no one cares about the Norwood Carnival.

Reserves on one week and State on the other is probably a good idea

Reply #17767 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

I'm not missing the point, I'm agreeing with you! State Champs at Easter is a GOOD IDEA.

Care or not though, it does affect the Norwood carnival. I'm not saying this is a reason not to hold State Champs at Easter, just stating a fact!

Reply #17768 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

I often wonder if my girls benefit more from 4-5 games against the Vics rather than the usuals in state champs - I'm with Norwood.

But the State Champs are the prestige thing with stronger benefits long term - i'm sure we can fit them both in.

Reply #17769 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Leaving Norwood at is Easter is a good idea. I know families that do go away over Easter. The Norwood Carnival gives teams a choice to play or not and the benefit of having Vic team play us on home soil is excellent. Moving this carnival might see the quality drop or it might even see more Vic teams cross the boarder. Who knows but why change something that offers a good standard of competition?
State Champs can we worked in another format and suggestions should go out mid this year to all clubs to have some input.

Reply #17774 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

It is a pity that the holiday has been moved as the calender was great they way it was.

Norwood Carnival April - interstate teams providing excellent competition and providing the elite Adelaide teams a reality check. Also is a good preparation for the intense competition of State Champs.

State Champs May - Cut throat competition with all teams fielding their best players (including country players). Also a good preparation and determines qualification for the Melbourne Classics.

Melbourne Classics June - The best of the best, every game providing a new challenge. Determines the best club teams and is to me the pinnacle of the year.

If a calender can be arranged that provided the same benefits as the old then I am for it.

Reply #17790 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Im for a move a long as it doesn't go to early in March because it doesn't give adequate preperation for the carnival.

Reply #17798 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Rite, Do you coach?

Reply #17802 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

with the state of carnivals in this state things need to be sorted before we lose them all. With the centrals carni been cancelled due to not enough teams which was the problem with the woodville one as well and with the dispute with mars and norwood how long will that stay around. The only local carni will be state champs and st clair,the only country ones will be barossa,pt pirie, whyalla and the murray bridge one (sorry if i have left any out) we at the junior levels need to start getting more active in the local comps before going interstate.

Reply #18239 | Report this post

Mr. Teeny  
Years ago

Just Me,

For once something good has come out of your mouth!!! There is a distinct lack of carnivals held in the metropolitan area! Isn't Norwood the only carnival that runs every year without fail?

Back when I was playing their was never this kind of shortage!!!

Reply #18241 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

I think you might find Southern's Carnival in July attracts good numbers.

Reply #18252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754