Qlder
Years ago

Singapore's new recruits?

The latest from Slingerville!

"We are also finalising the signing of an exciting Australian star player, who will add a lot of experience and firepower to our starting line-up.

Topic #15482 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Mate!

You beat me to it. i was just about to post this story also. All good mate.

Does anyone have any names or knowledge about it?

Darren Ng might know.

Reply #182883 | Report this post

Maybe you have to remember that the news of Darren Ng was not highly published in Singapore and maybe Bob Turners message is directed at the people in Singapore .

Not everyone are as up to date with all the changes in the teams as most of the people who are on this website .

What is more interesting is who will be the 2 new imports and who is "the giant " ?

Reply #182886 | Report this post

wutang noodles  
Years ago

Is it......SPADGE!

Reply #182887 | Report this post

By the way it will be interesting to see what Turner calls " a new giant center "..... Remember last years center was Chris Cameron at 211 cm and 121kg ++ so who ever it is got to be a big boy and most likely more of a monster than Cameron . Any ideas ?

Reply #182889 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think a clue was given when he said 'Firepower'. Its Hinder..........

Reply #182891 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Didn't comeone say Jordy was heading up there?

Reply #182893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see who the new US imports are.

"We are in the midst of identifying two potential new American imports whom we feel are of an even higher caliber than both Grizzard and Helms," Turner said.

I really hope that they take advantage of the rule that allows the slingers to have an extra import who is asian.

I'd also like the Slingers to build a successful team and stick with the same core for a few season and let the fans become familiar with the names. After their 1st two season there will be/was a complete overhaul. It's not a good thing if the fans are supporting a completely different tam every year.

Daren Ng should deninately be used in all their ads and marketing campaigns.

Reply #182895 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I mentioned Dodman on here from a Boti article, saying he'd had a good offer from Singapore.
Don't know whether he'd go there now. Reckon we need him here.

Reply #182897 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

i'd say that castro will be finalised by next week, as the asian import! further, could it be matty nielsen? or even damien ryan?

Reply #182898 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

rumours on other boards sites say mottram, but i think that is bs! further, helliwell is a possibility, but he is getting good $$$ in italy atm!

Reply #182899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74769

Reply #182905 | Report this post

Some people say that Mottram already before last season had shown some interest in joining Singapore .

The star most likely is Darren but would you consider Mottram to be " the giant ' ?

Reply #182909 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

Darren is not the star, BT is a realist!! motts would be good but he aint no giant

Reply #182920 | Report this post

Hope you are correct Marco re the star. I doubt it will be Matt Nielsen for several reasons. Damien Ryan would be nice but most likely they would have promised Darren Ng the SG position so ....

Could the giant center be Horvath ?

Reply #182929 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Pretty sure Horvath is contracted to South?

Reply #182931 | Report this post

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74762

NBL lists him as Undetermined as of 17 april.

If not Horvath then who ? At least the Slingers have no problems with the points should it be Horvath .

Reply #182932 | Report this post

BTW the big fella is SAM HARRIS...

Reply #182933 | Report this post

At 221 cm Sam certainly is tall - but how good is he ?

Reply #182934 | Report this post

Found Sam Harris's stats from Old Dominion University ......maybe he is tall but hopefully you are wrong SouthernPremiers08.

Reply #182935 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I wonder what Singapore mean by "Australian" player. Technically Horvath is neither Australian nor an import. Up until a few days ago he was an import and now is a New Zealand citizen. Does this make him "Australian" because as a New Zealander you are a local player in the NBL?

Reply #182936 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

7 foot 3. I'd have to stand on the roof of my car just to chest poke him. That's a big unit.

2006/07 Started in 2 of 32 games. Scored 8 points vs Georgia State.

Further down it did go on to say during the summer he played for AIS and had games with 28 and 20 points. I don't know if that means he only played two games......

Reply #182938 | Report this post

I doubt it is Sam Harris .

The Slingers are looking for more experience than they had last year with Chris Cameron and they are specifically saying they want somebody to bang the boards and take a lot of rebounds . That is not Sam Harris .

" Harris is just a space eater who makes his greatest contributions filling up the lane on defense." according to http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-3347.php

Reply #182941 | Report this post

lebron23  
Years ago

sam harris most likely

Reply #182966 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

They should get Kenny George from UNC Asheville (I think that is the right UNC). Now I'd pay to see him play.

Reply #182978 | Report this post

In hindsight Bob Turner has always had a good eye for marketing and having Sam Harris on board should give the Slingers more visibility off the court as long as he wears his Slingers uniform everywhere !

Seriously Gordie has an ability to to get the best out of young players so time will tell how well he performs if he becomes a Slinger. Assuming he will come off the bench and that the Slingers will still aim for a big import to start as the center.

Reply #183000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754